Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 12:36 PM

22,654 posts, read 36,662,452 times

Advertisements

Yup call an exterminator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 05:17 PM

983 posts, read 720,267 times
Before calling an exterminator it would be stupid not to try the two oil things.
Btw, never use the adhesive solutions.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:20 PM

190 posts, read 151,616 times
You have to get rid of them fast. They start reproducing in March. If they make it to the summer. You may have 5 or 6 times as many to get rid of. As another poster said, those oil and noise only work for a short time. They will just go somewhere else in the home more comfortable. And you'll think they left but they'll really be somewhere else.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:34 PM

874 posts, read 725,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I can speak to this from firsthand experience, as the former owners of my house had an infestation of mice AND rats behind all the finished basement walls and ceilings. It was so extensive that entire basement had to be gutted at the cost of thousands of dollars by guys wearing hazmat suits and spraying disinfectant on everything afterward. That's what can happen if you don't get rid of rodents.

Rodent infestations are not to be taken lightly. As the OP mentions, they can carry hantavirus in their droppings, fleas in their fur, and will chew anything up to and including electric wiring insulation and PEX piping. They bring in food (acorns, seeds, anything they come across) and cache it, which in turn attracts insects.

If you have one or two mice, traps will take care of them IF you also make sure that EVERY possible way for them to get into your home has been blocked. Mice will get through a 1/4" opening but they will chew a smaller one in order to make it big enough. Rats need 1/2" but again will chew a smaller opening to make it bigger. Both will chew right through useless stuff like silicone caulk and spray insulation. A combination of copper or steel mesh plus concrete patch is what you need. Or a decent gauge piece of metal.

Most ultrasonics don't work. Peppermint oil etc doesn't work either, despite the "old fashioned" hype etc. because they will simply avoid the spot where the peppermint is.

Cats do work but no help if the homeowner is allergic and can't own one, or doesn't like/want a cat. Also it's no help if the cat doesn't catch the mice, OR if the entry point isn't eliminated. It all comes back to that one thing: You have to prevent the rodents from coming in.

Rodents are attracted to places that are sheltered, dark, and too small for predators such as cats and foxes to get in. That is why the interior of finished walls and ceilings, and unfinished attics with fiberglass batts (perfect nesting material, for them it's like the world's biggest and best mouse condo) are what they will head for. The don't like to be out in the open (visible to possible predators) which is why they typically run alongside walls when in a room space.

To the OP: call an exterminator and have them examine your house to find out where the mice are getting in. They will set snap traps and come back several times over the next several weeks to remove the dead ones and re-set the traps, until a week or two goes by with no catches. It's worth the cost. I don't know where you're located but we have used this company in the past for squirrels and mice. Friends of ours have used them for a raccoon issue. It's not a chain/franchise, it's a local company.

https://www.catchacritterinc.com

thanks for the info, I just caught another one last night. I will call the company up and see what kind of prices they have

Old 01-20-2019, 05:47 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,034,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MykeWhyte View Post
You have to get rid of them fast. They start reproducing in March. If they make it to the summer. You may have 5 or 6 times as many to get rid of.
This is so true. Although a typical mouse litter is 6 or 8 babies, they reproduce all year and so a single pair of mice can end up as 35 or 40 mice within a year if left to their own devices, especially if a food source is nearby.

And on that subject, to the OP: If you have bird feeders in your yard, get rid of them, at least until you are 100% sure there is absolutely no possible entry point into your house for rodents. Bird feeders are a BIGTIME rodent magnet and they will head for the nearest good place to cache the stuff which will be your house if they can possibly get in (which obviously they can.) If you currently have bird feeders full of seed, get a big Sterilite or Rubbermaid container with a locking lid and put them into that temporarily. Do the same with any bags of seed you have. Keep the containers off the floor if possible. Rodents can and do climb but don't make it easier for them by leaving potential food at ground level.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 01-20-2019 at 06:00 PM..

Old 01-20-2019, 05:51 PM

983 posts, read 720,267 times
Fear helps no one

Old 01-20-2019, 06:06 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,034,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Fear helps no one
But taking sensible precautions can avert a lot of expensive damage.

A relative of mine had a fire start in their basement. Subsequent inspection showed that mice had chewed through the insulation around the wiring in the section where the fire started. She had no idea there were mice because it was a partial basement under a splanch and nobody ever went down there except when the heating system needed a tuneup, or to store something. Of course when the fire started all the boxes etc down there went up like tinder. Caused a lot of damage not only to the basement area but to the room above it, and smoke throughout the house.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:38 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,325,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
So far I have caught 2 with a humane trap, and 1 got away from the glue trap. I think they are coming in right from my roof. I came home one day and saw Styrofoam or something chewed up by the window.So has anyone here had this happen before if so what did you try? do those electric ultrasonic sound replants work? anyone ever used a pest control you can recommend? Should I just have a contractor seal up the roof better and lay traps or just hire a pest control company? This things can literally burn your house down by chewing wires and even kill you with their fleas and urine and droppings. any good traps or such? stores that sell good products? I heard poison isnt good because they will die in the walls and stink and attract more mice is this true?
Where do you live? People living over by Plainedge High School are having a rat problem right now.

Def call exterminator!!

Old 01-23-2019, 09:10 AM

3,482 posts, read 5,672,656 times
Get a cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island