Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 09:03 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
If she's been in 20 years, she's making more than $100k, plus a raft of benefits.

Ah...I like that you end with the classic guilt trip "it's all for the children" line! I bet you don't even realize you did it!
20 years in NYC gets you 116k in 2 years it jumps to 128k. That sets them up for minimum 75k pension at 55.

20 on LI is 105k-140k depending on the district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 09:48 AM

376 posts, read 310,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
If she's been in 20 years, she's making more than $100k, plus a raft of benefits.

Ah...I like that you end with the classic guilt trip "it's all for the children" line! I bet you don't even realize you did it!
20 years to make $100k? Yikes.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:23 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Yeah you can't even gas up your car and eat out twice a year for 100k. That money is an insult.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:43 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
I don't know the rest, but my wife has 20 years of experience, a masters from NYU, multiple diplomas from continuing education, and an impeccable grade (yes, they grade teachers now).
A $100k salary doesn't sound like overpay.

Maybe some people here don't want those califications for the education of our sons and daughters. But that's a whole different subject.
It's fine to debate this from that perspective, but it's a far cry from the logic/stance in your OP. In fact, this is the "go to" argument for teachers on LI to justify the pay.

What is undeniable is that teachers all over the country are doing the same exact thing for much, much less. LI does not have a monopoly on producing scholars... in fact, there's not even any indication that there are more people at the top of any profession because their LI Kindergarten teacher made $100k. People reach the tops of their professions just fine with a $30k Kindergarten teacher in AnyTown, USA.

Sure, Jericho may set records for science fair participants or many LI schools hit "Best Schools" lists from year to year. But, LI is made up of countless school districts without those accolades and they're paying their teachers similar high salaries... and in both cases (even the "exceptional" LI districts), I see no indication that LI is producing some crazy percentage of the best of the best students because of it. Look at secondary education. Some states with obviously superior state college options (I don't think anybody would argue SUNY is some nationally premier college offering overall) are graduating plenty of the greatest, brightest from their own state colleges who attended schools in their home state (did not go to public school on LI)... and they are doing it at a fraction of the cost.

So, this logic is a great soundbyte, but fails when you really dig into it.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:59 AM

983 posts, read 725,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
People reach the tops of their professions just fine with a $30k Kindergarten teacher in AnyTown, USA
In anytown USA you can buy a mansion for for 1/2 a million.
Here you get a crappy house.
You can't compare salaries across the country.

And in LA teachers with $70k salaries are in strike.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:11 PM

67 posts, read 73,996 times
Quote:
If you all have to choose between give your tax money to teachers and cops or to a big corporation like the link I showed before, what would you choose?

Refer to the link below to see samples of those corporations:

https://mic.com/articles/85101/10-co...ers#.P7ap8JMgd

Quoting a paragraph there I think summarizes the problem we have.

The reason I started this thread is to show to you that maybe taxes that go to education and safety are in the first category. But I understand if you don't see it that way. Thanks.
Why should we have to choose between high taxes going to teachers or corporations? That’s absurd. There is no choice. I think most rational homeowners would want low taxes.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:47 PM

983 posts, read 725,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirios View Post
Why should we have to choose between high taxes going to teachers or corporations? That’s absurd. There is no choice. I think most rational homeowners would want low taxes.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:52 PM

67 posts, read 73,996 times
Instead of posting cute emojis, why don’t you explain it better so this dense homeowner can understand you? Did you not say in your post “If you all have to choose...”

Old 01-25-2019, 01:13 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Then why do they have one Chancellor for NYC schools, who earns a “lofty” $345K, which is $100K more than they’ve ever paid? There are over 1.1 million students.
I don't know. I don't live in NYC and don't hear many LIers aspiring to NYC school standards. Maybe NYC chronically underpays, which explains why they bumped the position $100k just to match this guy's salary from Miami!

Old 01-25-2019, 01:34 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
How is your post relevant?
I think I'm done with you after this, because I get my full dose of the dopey general public all week long and it's Friday so I'm out of steam ...but to answer your question, YOU brought up that teachers have to do CE and have a master's - the age old battle cry of how hard life is, when pretty much half the working world above sanitation collector needs to do some sort of of CE for their job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island