Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 06:00 AM

752 posts, read 1,462,669 times

Advertisements

I just bought a house in the Mastic Beach area about six blocks from the ocean. My house was built in 1972. I went to Brookhaven town hall and asked them for the Original blueprints for the house and they told me I had to fill out a form "Freedom of information act" and then wait 20 days, I did so. Now I call them up and they tell me that nobody can find my blueprints and that my house is too old. I got blueprints for my fathers house in Northport that was built in 1868... What gives? Arent they supposed to have all that?

I'm alittle confused
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 04:49 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,185 times
Did you try Suffolk County Clerks Office, for these records ?

I'm not surprised that a Town employee would NOT offer you this suggestion.

We are talking about people who asked me, how to spell "11"..."e-l-e-v-e-n"... for a telephone complaint once. Yes, it happened.

There was a fire that destroyed Town of Brookhaven records, some years ago. Unfortunately, I don't have the exact date it happened.

This was very fortuitous of it, for me, in the instance of my dealing with the Town.

We live at the end of a paper street. The actual asphalt, had to be "put down", at our expense at the time, the house was built. Then, technically, we had to "turn over" the street, BACK, to the Town...as it was a "paper street" of the Town.

However, when we requested that traffic restrictions be placed on the street, the Town was a little flumoxed about it. The Town, apparently, had NO public records, of it's own, to prove that the street was actually "turned over" to them.

Since we had the payment and construction records that "we" built the street at our own expense,
I simply made a written declaration to the Town Attorney's Office, that the street was "OURS"...we owned, what was formerly, the Town street. They "threw" all sorts of obscure, NY State Law at us, but my attorney and myself, just laughed at their problem, because it was a very specious, entirely theoretical, legal argument, based on NO documentary evidence, of their own.

You can imagine how they felt about that.

I happily offered them an exit strategy.

We got what we wanted, VERY easily.

I offer you this, showing that you can, probably, use this instance for YOUR advantage. Get an attorney to sign off on this, but like everything, why should YOU pay for "their" mistake ?

Old 03-20-2009, 05:40 AM

Another suggestion...try the Title Company, and or the attorney you used, or was used ?

This information "may" be in the Assessment Office records for the property.

When you call them up, ask who was the previous owner...they may have this information OR a copy of blueprints.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:47 AM

752 posts, read 1,462,669 times
I'm going to have to give that a try. Thanks for the info. I will post again when I have more. previous owner didn't have anything. Husband owned the house and was renting it, He died and she sold the house.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
I'm going to have to give that a try. Thanks for the info. I will post again when I have more. previous owner didn't have anything. Husband owned the house and was renting it, He died and she sold the house.
Find out who the Builder was, too !

It may be on the Assessment Department documentation, somewhere, and the title company.

Last edited by longislandmike; 03-20-2009 at 06:18 AM..

Old 01-14-2010, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,937 times
Hey longislandmike - Got any references for a good attorney to deal w/Brookhaven Town Residential Building Dept.?

Old 01-15-2010, 10:28 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
I just bought a house in the Mastic Beach area
I'm sorry.........

Old 08-10-2010, 10:16 PM

5 posts, read 23,785 times
Hi Mike. Can you contact me regarding your paper street? We are having issues with the town regarding our road and we think we need to take legal action now. I'm curious about the attorney you used, the process etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-21-2019, 11:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,866 times
Default Missing blueprints

Hey
Im having the same problem town of brookhaven said they dont have the blueprint for my house. Yet they same my finished basement is illegal. I brought the house with the basement completed and the person who owned the house before said the basement was completed when they brought the house. If the town doesnt have the original blue prints how they know my finished basement is illegal. Help please im single mom out of work just trying to hold on to my home. My house was build in 1970.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:46 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primeforlife1 View Post
Hey
Im having the same problem town of brookhaven said they dont have the blueprint for my house. Yet they same my finished basement is illegal. I brought the house with the basement completed and the person who owned the house before said the basement was completed when they brought the house. If the town doesnt have the original blue prints how they know my finished basement is illegal. Help please im single mom out of work just trying to hold on to my home. My house was build in 1970.
Where did they bring the house from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island