Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 05:51 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,066,660 times

Advertisements

My family and I adopted a cocker spaniel this weekend. He is a sweetheart, but needs some basic training. Has anyone taken a Petco class? Are there other training classes that would be better? I live in central Nassau and would prefer something local. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 06:37 AM

5,515 posts, read 7,106,662 times
I brought my BMD to Petco and it was a waste of time and money in my opinion.

A few years ago I brought my Chessie to Happy Dog Training in Huntington and there you got some good training.
Welcome to Happy Dog...

Well worth the money.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:11 AM

216 posts, read 445,884 times
There is a website called Long Island Dog Parents Group that has information about a few local trainers. Also I would suggest you research dog training since there are a few different methods and work with a trainer that you feel comfortable with. We found a trainer in West Babylon that we are happy with. DM me if you would like more information.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:50 AM

323 posts, read 199,263 times
Stay away from the "big box" pet stores for training. I used to work for one of these outfits. Their trainers learn how to train dogs via a few computer training classes and are unqualified. Most couldn't train a 6 year old child to tie their own shoes.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:18 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,290 times
Actually, the pet owner needs the training so they know how to handle their dog.

Learn the basic commands: sit, stay, lay down, etc. along with the corresponding hand signals. And then USE them all the time - that's how you train a dog.

If you get a trainer to come to your house, they'll work with your dog and your dog will obey them. Not you.

Good luck.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:23 AM

216 posts, read 445,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Actually, the pet owner needs the training so they know how to handle their dog.

Learn the basic commands: sit, stay, lay down, etc. along with the corresponding hand signals. And then USE them all the time - that's how you train a dog.

If you get a trainer to come to your house, they'll work with your dog and your dog will obey them. Not you.

Good luck.
Excellent advice. You can go to a great trainer but you have to do the homework with your dog and follow the training all the time, consistency is key!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island