Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:15 PM

29 posts, read 169,478 times

Advertisements

hello there !! considering a move to Nassau's most exclusive town but i was just wondering what the differences between Brookville , Old Brookville and Upper Brookville are.. i have seen the least expensive homes in U.B. why ? is any one better i know they each go to diff districts .. are there any other luxurious towns like these that have a modern but country feel. In a GOOD school district .. should i have a pool or join one of the Country Clubs .. Pleaseeeeeeeee Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 07:43 AM

222 posts, read 892,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannin li x View Post
hello there !! considering a move to Nassau's most exclusive town but i was just wondering what the differences between Brookville , Old Brookville and Upper Brookville are.. i have seen the least expensive homes in U.B. why ? is any one better i know they each go to diff districts .. are there any other luxurious towns like these that have a modern but country feel. In a GOOD school district .. should i have a pool or join one of the Country Clubs .. Pleaseeeeeeeee Help
What about Old Westbury, Sands Point, Muttontown etc....are they not in good school districts? Quite frankly, folks moving to those locales are usually not as intersted in s.d. b/c they can easily afford private schools anyway...

Old 04-09-2008, 10:00 AM

883 posts, read 3,719,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannin li x View Post
All of the "Brookvilles" have a similar feel IMO. I am sure there are nuances between them though. As far as schools go, most parts of all 3 "Brookvilles" aren't in the top districts (Except Brookville, which has parts in Jericho SD...but there are also parts in Locust Valley SD. Old Brookville I think is mostly North Shore SD & Upper Brookville is a mix of Locust Valley, Oyster Bay & North Shore SDs). But I don't know how many people in those areas actually send their kids to public school...everyone I have ever known in any of the "Brookvilles" has gone to Friends. If you really want to send your kids to public school, check out Cold Spring Harbor, Laurel Hollow, Lloyd Harbor & Lloyd Neck, all of which go to Cold Spring Harbor Schools.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:07 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,541,654 times
Really old money, old money & new money....tough choice....lol. I would go with old brookvile but you cant go wrong with any one of them! Good luck!

Old 04-09-2008, 02:44 PM

62 posts, read 240,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageOfWestbury View Post
What about Old Westbury, Sands Point, Muttontown etc....are they not in good school districts? Quite frankly, folks moving to those locales are usually not as intersted in s.d. b/c they can easily afford private schools anyway...

They might in Old Westbury if they're zoned for Westbury schools, but I can tell you from firsthand experience that the majority of people in Sands Point do, in fact, send their children to public school. I would imagine that in Muttontown (which I think lies within the Jericho school district) the same might be the case.

Unless you yourself live in any of these areas, you can't assume that we all can "easily" afford private schools. Did you ever consider that we're in any of these villages because we've worked/we're working hard for it, and particularly chose our given areas because we wouldn't need to worry about coming up with exhorbitant tuitions for private schools?

Its always those who know they stand no chance in hell of living a life they covet because they're not skilled enough, or hard-working enough, or educated enough to earn that life who always assume that the rest of us are bottomless pits. Maybe some are, but most of us are working stiffs like everyone else.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Ever View Post
They might in Old Westbury if they're zoned for Westbury schools, but I can tell you from firsthand experience that the majority of people in Sands Point do, in fact, send their children to public school. I would imagine that in Muttontown (which I think lies within the Jericho school district) the same might be the case.

Unless you yourself live in any of these areas, you can't assume that we all can "easily" afford private schools. Did you ever consider that we're in any of these villages because we've worked/we're working hard for it, and particularly chose our given areas because we wouldn't need to worry about coming up with exhorbitant tuitions for private schools?

Its always those who know they stand no chance in hell of living a life they covet because they're not skilled enough, or hard-working enough, or educated enough to earn that life who always assume that the rest of us are bottomless pits. Maybe some are, but most of us are working stiffs like everyone else.
Hold on a moment here. I covet absolutely nothing outside of my sphere of reach. Last time I checked, everyone I know work hard for what they have...and I never suggested otherwise. I'm not quite sure of who or what you think I do or don't do for a living, but last time I checked I've been clearing the social security max for a few years now and I'm only 33---so please don't imply that you have some monopoly on hardwork or education/skill level.

My point is that "in my experience" folks who have more tend to do more. Thus if one can afford to send their child to private school because they think it's "better" (however one chooses to define that) that's what one will do....again "in my experience."

Old 04-10-2008, 08:17 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,541,654 times
In defense of VoW, new buyers in these areas are in a better position to pay for tuition than the average Long Islander. I spend plenty on tuition every year for my kids but I do not feel its a burden on us but other families in the school do struggle with it. I don't think he meant anything negative in his comments. People who move into top-end towns work very hard but do not have the financial pressures for the "basics" that many people struggle with these days.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:19 AM

Believe me, if you live in one of these areas, chances are you can't afford to send your child to private school -- which is why one might choose their particular area in the first place, as I did.

I realize now that I should not have assumed your observation came out of any sort of assumptions based on what "rich folks" have. There has, however, been quite a bit of nastiness on these boards, aimed at the well-to-do (who believe me, are struggling the same, but in a different level of water).

My apologies.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Ever View Post
Believe me, if you live in one of these areas, chances are you can't afford to send your child to private school -- which is why one might choose their particular area in the first place, as I did.

I realize now that I should not have assumed your observation came out of any sort of assumptions based on what "rich folks" have. There has, however, been quite a bit of nastiness on these boards, aimed at the well-to-do (who believe me, are struggling the same, but in a different level of water).

My apologies.
Believe me, I understand that as well.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Believe me, I understand that as well.
...and then there's always the resentful loser relatives...lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island