Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best North Shore (Suffolk) Community
Port Jefferson 7 17.95%
Baiting Hollow 2 5.13%
Rocky Point 4 10.26%
Northport 10 25.64%
Huntington 10 25.64%
Stony Brook 5 12.82%
Kings Park 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 07:58 AM

30 posts, read 164,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
I grew up in Port Jefferson & rented there as a young adult on my own. The school district left a very bad taste in mouth despite its "excellent reputation". P.J. is also hard to get in & out of in the summer. The village gets very congested with tourists & its a 20 minute ride to the nearset Hwy for commuting. The village is adorable though & its a nice area. My Dad lives in Northport(has for almost 20 years), its also very nice, more expensive but further west & closer to the parkways.
My very close friend is a lifetime resident of stony brook, it is a lovely area with a very quaint beach. Some areas are on the snobby side, but overall its a beautiful place.
Baiting Hollow would be my favorite on your list if school districts didn't matter, I love a more rural setting & baiting hollow is beautiful. However, Riverhead schools leave something to be desired.
I've always thought Rocky Point was a cute area & a very good value but I have never lived there.
May I ask why Shoreham/Wading River didn't make your list? They are further west than baiting hollow but with wonderful schools, gorgeous neighborhood settings & very friendly people-like me LOL!
I don't really have knowledge of the other towns
KellyFG,

I took a look at some real estate listings in Shoreham and Wading River, and I was impressed. What is your take on the school systems in these communities?
From a personal standpoint, the reason why I left Shoreham and Wading River of the poll, was commuting distance to NYC; I may be wrong but it looks to be a haul day-in day-day-out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 08:41 AM

525 posts, read 2,351,176 times
Back-It is a HAUL from out there. The closer to the city, the less land and higher price, but you get a do-able commute.

From Huntington train station it takes 55 minutes, station to station. I offer that as a reference point. Head east-longer commute and train changes (Huntington station is a hub). Further west, shoter commute. Manhasset train station to Penn. 20 minutes station to station!

Hope it helps, I still vote, as I did in the other thread for Huntington for you guys. Happy Holidays

Old 12-22-2006, 09:13 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,932,540 times
Yes Shoreham wading river is far out for a commute to NYC, but Baiting Hollow is further east & a tad north. That makes it even further.
Anything east of huntington is a tough commute to NYC because that is the last of the decent north shore RR stations.
Many people in my area drive to Ronkonkoma station(about 20 minutes) then take the train to NYC.
The schools are among the best on LI, the taxes reflect that.
Good luck!

Old 12-23-2006, 12:49 PM

240 posts, read 1,056,852 times
No offense, but from what i have gathered from different people in the Shoreham-Wading river school District, It has gone downhill in the past few years. After Lilco Stopped funding the district, it has had to depend on taxpayers and since has been deteriorating. Im not saying The Rocky Point School District is top on Long island, but since Lilco stopped funding Shoreham, Rocky Point has risen above in programs and in the condition of the schools. I even know of People from Shoreham -Wading River, and Miller Place who are moving to our district for the very reason that their districts have deteriorated in the past few years. Now Shoreham-Wading river is a beautiful area as well as Miller Place, This is not an attack on the communities, or the people, because both areas ar wonderful places to live. However, from what i have gathered from employees and residents, These school districts are no longer recognized in the prestigious way they have been in the past

Old 12-23-2006, 12:59 PM

41 posts, read 171,066 times
I live in rocky point i really dont like it. people are very rude here . there are other nices places to live wading river , smith town, port jeff . those have all nice school districts. and nicer people everyone in rocky point knows everyones business.

Old 12-23-2006, 04:32 PM

240 posts, read 1,056,852 times
I have to disagree with you. This is a great community and the people are not in everyone else's business. If your referring to the strong sense of community involvement we have here, it is in no way a negative aspect. Maybe you just need to get more involved in the community instead of making a false judgement of the attitudes of the people.

ps. Learn some grammar, you sound illiterate.

Old 12-24-2006, 02:30 PM

491 posts, read 828,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
I have to disagree with you. This is a great community and the people are not in everyone else's business. If your referring to the strong sense of community involvement we have here, it is in no way a negative aspect. Maybe you just need to get more involved in the community instead of making a false judgement of the attitudes of the people.

Out of bullets so you pick on grammar ?

Its the same doctor's, lawyer's and Wall St Snoot s**ts and Jewish "closed Government posse" that have destroyed all of Great Neck and now Manhasset. (I'm trying to move out of)
Thank you rocky, for confirming ANOTHER one of Long Islands Christian hostile hells's I'd wish to live.

Last edited by Joe L; 12-24-2006 at 02:50 PM..

Old 12-26-2006, 08:46 AM

480 posts, read 2,828,984 times
Corrections:

1. If you're (your) referring...

2. ...making a false judgment (judgement)...

The remainder of your post, while correct, does not convey optimal literary function. I have a strong suspicion that your acceptance into the community is tentative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post

Last edited by Check123; 12-26-2006 at 09:24 AM..

Old 12-29-2006, 03:59 PM

8 posts, read 21,885 times
As the other posters have listed, there are many wonderful places to live here on the Island.

Take time to VISIT VISIT VISIT these places.

I have lived on the North Shore of LI for about 30 years. Have worked (construction 3 years, teaching 12 years at the HS level, while also doing stints at University at night [5 years] and middle school) here on Long Island.

There are MANY great schools and towns on Long Island, but what's 'best' requires in-person visiting.

That said, with the money of some of the affuent areas comes concerns like drugs and spoiled kids who drive their fast new cars VERY irresponsibly. Children are the same no matter where they grow up: They require boundries and examples set from adults (read: Their parents).

That said, check all of these places out and decide yourself.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:39 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,176 times
Good post kaka, I can and WILL attest that the kids in Huntington, Lloyd Harbor, Lloyd Neck, CSH, and Huntington Bay do have PROBLEMS with boundries and examples, and driving skills. They have too much car and not enough experience. Too much money to get into too much trouble has been historic and current for the kids in the areas mentioned. I was a kid in this area and while me and my peers were "kids," as an adult living in that area I saw this "problem" become much worse as more wealth and lack of parenting moved in. I guess me being an old fart contributes to the way I looked at things as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island