U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best North Shore (Suffolk) Community
Port Jefferson 7 17.95%
Baiting Hollow 2 5.13%
Rocky Point 4 10.26%
Northport 10 25.64%
Huntington 10 25.64%
Stony Brook 5 12.82%
Kings Park 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 06:45 AM

30 posts, read 160,321 times

Advertisements

I've read repeatedly about the terrible traffic, housing cost, the rude people, high taxes, etc....
Besides all of that, where and why is living on the North Shore in Suffolk County desireable?

Last edited by baktuny; 12-17-2006 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: typo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2006, 09:59 AM

5,179 posts, read 6,459,098 times
How come Smithtown and Saint James are not on the poll?

Old 12-17-2006, 10:30 AM

240 posts, read 1,009,994 times
In My opinion, although i may be biased, Rocky Point has alot to offer to any buyer. The School District is excellent, its relatively affordable, it has a small town atmosphere, and the people are wonderful. If a "Best Buy Long Island" poll were set up, Rocky Point should be at the top of the list. Nowhere else are you going to find the geographic beauty, north shore location, and great neighbors that Rocky Point offers at such an affordable price.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:10 AM

Default They should

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
How come Smithtown and Saint James are not on the poll?
Indeed, Smithtown and St. James should be included.
What are the characteristics that set them apart from one another and say, Stony Brook?
Sorry for the omission.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:43 AM

Default Thanks Rockypointny

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
In My opinion, although i may be biased, Rocky Point has alot to offer to any buyer. The School District is excellent, its relatively affordable, it has a small town atmosphere, and the people are wonderful. If a "Best Buy Long Island" poll were set up, Rocky Point should be at the top of the list. Nowhere else are you going to find the geographic beauty, north shore location, and great neighbors that Rocky Point offers at such an affordable price.
Rockpointny, this is exactly the sort of information that I was hoping to extract. I know there is so much more than meets the eye when it comes to the stereotypical descriptors of Long Island residents and the commuities of the North Shore.

The key reason for this post, besides getting to know my soon to be future neighbor Check123, was to get independent and biased/unbiased insight, feedback, suggestions and recommendations into the North Shore communities that you currently call home.

Perhaps, you have lived in other Suffolk County communities that warrant a comparison to your current place of residence; Schools,quality of life, community involvement/activism, impact of the influx of tourists, etc...?

Thanks again Rockpointny

Old 12-17-2006, 01:17 PM

Default Coming Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
I'll remember to tell that to all the Court Jesters at the tax lien auction.

All joking aside... Welcome back to New York.
Thank you Check123; We can't wait to get back.
We raised three kids in Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn almost ten years ago and two will be returning with us.
So, tell me, what is your North Shore proclivity?
Did you vote the thread poll?

Old 12-17-2006, 01:49 PM

240 posts, read 1,009,994 times
okay, basically Port Jefferson, Northport, and Huntington are most similar with a downtown harbor and many shops and tourists. They are probably the more expensive out of the towns listed.Basically you'll have to pay in the upper 500,000 range to get anything decent. Baiting hollow is also a beautiful town, more rural but not so centralized since it is a part of the Riverhead school system, which does not have such a good reputation. Stony Brook has a wide variety of homes both tract housing and more rustic neighbrohoods in the section toward the water known as "Old Stony Brook" or "Stony Brook Village". The Three village school district is top rated and the community has a new england atmoshphere. In Rocky Point your going to find there is a wide variety of housing to choose from. The eastern portion of the town was once a beach resort community and is made up of older homes, many on small lots. The smaller bungalows go for around 300,000 and other homes in this area can reach over 1 million, mostly those on the water. Western Rocky Point Is primarily made up of subdivisions "The Tides" being one "Pickwick beach" and "Oak Hills" being others. Oak Hills tends to be the most expensive but is a gorgeous neighborhood where most homes are 3,000 square feet and up.Overall our town really has a home style for anyone, and homes to fit any price range.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:00 PM

5,179 posts, read 6,459,098 times
Well Smithtown is right near the Northern State and Sagtikos Parkways so it makes commuting relatively easy. Rocky Point, although nice, is a good 45 minutes from the parkways making for a long commute.
Saint James is an extension of Smithtown with more of an old town feel to it.
Smithtown has beautiful beaches, parks for horses, great shopping and restaurants.

Last edited by NYTom; 12-17-2006 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: add

Old 12-17-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Well Smithtown is right near the Northern State and Sagtikos Parkways so it makes commuting relatively easy. Rocky Point, although nice, is a good 45 minutes from the parkways making for a long commute.
Saint James is an extension of Smithtown with more of an old town feel to it.
Smithtown has beautiful beaches, parks for horses, great shopping and restaurants.
Thank you NYTom,
What about the quality of the schools in Smithtown and St. James, and are they consolidated or are they separate school districts?

Is the layout of the villages more condusive to walking or driving in, parking and then doing your shopping?

Old 12-17-2006, 09:18 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,456,005 times
I like Northport and Smithtown the best. Both have excellent schools and very nice areas. Northport would be #1 since it's a little more West, closer to Huntington (which the village is GREAT). Stony Brook and Pt. Jeff are also great, just farther east. Get a better deal on the house, though.

I would not live in a Huntington SD home. They are ok, but a lot of "bad element" can be mixed in.

And, please, don't listen to the complainers on this board. The vast majority of them don't know what they're talking about. Most other places I've been to (including the South), the people are more rude and the traffic is much worse. Sure, homes can be pricey, but you get what you pay for in real estate. Taxes are high, but with all else considered, I don't think it's the end of the world. Most of these people can't afford a house and have sour grapes. LI is a really great place with a lot of great people and positive attributes (lowest crime in the country, high standard of living, very nice areas, great shopping, close to the greatest city in the world, great parks and tons of beaches, and the list goes on).

Good luck with the move and don't be deterred by drivel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island