Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 4,669 times

Advertisements

Someone reported my family for renting our basement out and it's not legal. I heard there are new laws in place for the town of brookhaven. Does anyone know the fines I have to pay and do I have to evict my tenant asap before I let the inspector in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 01:51 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,724,911 times
I don't know about the fines, but they will make the tenant vacate and you will have to dismantle the illegal apartment. And, once they are inside your house it opens up a new can of worms as they can violate you for anything that is not up to code.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:15 PM

305 posts, read 194,141 times
I would suspect, not unlike people on my fellow neighbors with regard to the homeowner and renting out illegally the top floor of their home, that you have NO control of your tenants.

Let me relay a story if I might:

Prior to this new homeowner we had a neighbor who also rented out the apartment. Big difference is the tenants parked in front of her home, in her driveway when it snowed and was down-right respectful.

Current homeowners (despite being approached) after snow debacle last year where tenants kept their cars in the street and caused the other homeowners to now have to shovel because plows couldn't get close, and having one too many parties during the week, that we all filed with TOB.

Bottom line: our block will tolerate anything as long as you don't inconvenience homeowners. It would seem to me, you and your tenants caused a kerfuffle.

In addition think IRS.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:45 PM

1,372 posts, read 711,383 times
Stony Brook homeowner fined for illegal apartments - TBR News Media

Seems like big big conquesquens. This example is a little extreme though.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:37 PM

732 posts, read 871,721 times
Pretty sure you can tell the inspector that you won't let them in without a warrant.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:52 AM

Nope didn't make any neighboors mad or irritate them. I know for certain. Unfortunately the tenant I have may give me a hard time about moving altho they are not allowed to use my mailing address and get no mail here. It's a house like many in town with a partial finished basement and we added things to make it a rental. So basically were ****ed is what everyone is agreeing to right? I hope they move out and don't make me do it the hard way

Old 02-14-2019, 04:11 PM

My tenants said they keep noticing the same car on the block parked with someone in it certain times of the day. Could that be the inspector spying to take pictures of myself and tenants?

Old 02-15-2019, 01:11 AM

19,618 posts, read 20,432,868 times
Tell tenants what's going on.
Remove kitchen. All of it.
Cut pipes back behind wall and patch.
Build dummy wall in front of bathroom, basically just close doorway.
Get inspection. Put everything back.
Do not let anyone from the town into your home until you've addressed everything.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:31 AM

7,882 posts, read 9,075,543 times
If you want to be a landlord, do it right. Buy a legal 2 family home and you will not get any grief. Rather simple concept that many seem to forget.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:13 PM

305 posts, read 194,141 times
rest of us are picking up the slack for you not paying your fair share in taxes.

sanitation, school services, other services, not to mention i doubt you're claiming rent on your federal taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: