Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 11:22 AM

18 posts, read 21,334 times

Advertisements

I was down near Montauk last weekend and noticed a bunch of restaurants and a few homes with palm trees. I know my windmill palm tree survived last winter with no protection in CT, but do people regularly rent or grow palm trees on long island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 11:27 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTPALMLLC View Post
I was down near Montauk last weekend and noticed a bunch of restaurants and a few homes with palm trees. I know my windmill palm tree survived last winter with no protection in CT, but do people regularly rent or grow palm trees on long island?
No, definitely not. At least not in SW Nassau where I am. Occasionally, you will encounter a yucca plant that resembles a palm. I'm growing windmill palms inside to plant outside when I move out of state. I love palm trees.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:33 AM

Interesting haha. Thought it was awesome to see! I love palms of course, that's what we do, but I love yuccas too. I always have wanted a yucca rostrada! Where ya moving to?

Old 05-13-2017, 12:15 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,049 times
Quote:
Interesting haha. Thought it was awesome to see! I love palms of course, that's what we do, but I love yuccas too. I always have wanted a yucca rostrada! Where ya moving to?
Nuevo Mexico. Job market is bad there, but I work online so it doesn't matter. The high desert climate is a bit cold for palms, although windmill palms should do just fine in a protected outdoor space. Three palms I grew from seed, and the big fourth palm I bought as a plant.

FWIW, LI has a warmer climate than CT. This is the warmest part of NYS.

"PALM" is in your screen name. How are you professionally involved in the plant industry?

Old 05-15-2017, 12:08 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Def not. They are likely imported.

When I was in France, I was shocked to see palm trees all over. They said they import them.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:35 AM

112 posts, read 248,922 times
This past week I saw a truck dropping off palm trees to a water side restaurant in Port Jefferson. You can search the web for long island palm trees to find their website. They sell - rent palm trees and tiki bars. I saw on their website they have a hardy palm tree that can survive Long Island winters. ��

Old 05-16-2017, 08:30 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,498 times
There was a house in Dix Hills near Commack Road that had two giant palm trees that were basically trunks with no healthy leaves. Definitely not a year round tree for NY.

They probably transplanted them one summer which looked good being "that house with palm trees" but since snowy winters hit, it has really impacted their health.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:01 PM

112 posts, read 248,922 times
Check out their website - they advertise the selling of palm trees hardy enough for LI winters -how true ? Who knows

Old 05-17-2017, 10:05 AM

15 posts, read 15,220 times
The last place I would think of having palm trees would be on Long Island but I guess it's the latest trend. I feel like palm trees couldn't survive the winters here. I looked it up and this website Anthony's Lawn Care says that they normally install them in March or April but then they remove them in October. What's the name of the company that offers year round palm trees? I would like to compare the two and see which would be best, thanks!

Old 05-17-2017, 11:13 AM

Yeah it is true, we have trees hard enough as well, even in CT. Windmill palms! We sell out every year though. Just have coconuts, xmas palms, queens, and pygmys left. It is a fun business. We do a lot in long island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island