Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:54 AM

73 posts, read 323,752 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I just need to vent. I am a mother of 3 who FINALLY got ahead of the game and started saving money away and bought a new car. Last night my car was broken into 25ft. from the entrance to my job. They stole my GPS,and a few other things. They didn't break the window but, they did break the door where the window and the door connect. Now I have to go and pay god knows how much to have this fixed. I am so upset that this happened. I guess they had to be watching me because I'm the assistant manager (I close at night.) and normal people don't usually walk with a crowbar with them. although in this town I wouldn't put anything past anyone (brentwood/bayshore area). Now the money I've been saving is going towards my car. So I hope that the people who did this one day have something like this happen to them. and thank you for taking food out of my kids mouth. This is the same reason I'm leaving this area within the next 2 months. I called the place I purchased the GPS from and the warranty I had doesn't cover theift and the company who makes the product can't disarm or track it because it don't have a tracking system in the GPS. Sorry just had to vent. People should really think before they act. I work hard for everything I have which isn't alot. Supporting 3 kids is hard enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,003,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1018 View Post
Hi everyone,

I just need to vent. I am a mother of 3 who FINALLY got ahead of the game and started saving money away and bought a new car. Last night my car was broken into 25ft. from the entrance to my job. They stole my GPS,and a few other things. They didn't break the window but, they did break the door where the window and the door connect. Now I have to go and pay god knows how much to have this fixed. I am so upset that this happened. I guess they had to be watching me because I'm the assistant manager (I close at night.) and normal people don't usually walk with a crowbar with them. although in this town I wouldn't put anything past anyone (brentwood/bayshore area). Now the money I've been saving is going towards my car. So I hope that the people who did this one day have something like this happen to them. and thank you for taking food out of my kids mouth. This is the same reason I'm leaving this area within the next 2 months. I called the place I purchased the GPS from and the warranty I had doesn't cover theift and the company who makes the product can't disarm or track it because it don't have a tracking system in the GPS. Sorry just had to vent.
I'm very sorry this happened to you. Be sure that you call your insurance company as you may be covered for the damage and the theft. Good luck.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:25 AM

55 posts, read 180,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1018 View Post
Hi everyone,

I just need to vent. I am a mother of 3 who FINALLY got ahead of the game and started saving money away and bought a new car. Last night my car was broken into 25ft. from the entrance to my job. They stole my GPS,and a few other things. They didn't break the window but, they did break the door where the window and the door connect. Now I have to go and pay god knows how much to have this fixed. I am so upset that this happened. I guess they had to be watching me because I'm the assistant manager (I close at night.) and normal people don't usually walk with a crowbar with them. although in this town I wouldn't put anything past anyone (brentwood/bayshore area). Now the money I've been saving is going towards my car. So I hope that the people who did this one day have something like this happen to them. and thank you for taking food out of my kids mouth. This is the same reason I'm leaving this area within the next 2 months. I called the place I purchased the GPS from and the warranty I had doesn't cover theift and the company who makes the product can't disarm or track it because it don't have a tracking system in the GPS. Sorry just had to vent. People should really think before they act. I work hard for everything I have which isn't alot. Supporting 3 kids is hard enough

I'm sorry this happened to you. GPS thefts has increased like a 1000% over last year. Police recommend that you remove the gps and put it in your glove box. You should also wipe off the suction mark with some glass cleaner because theives will notice the mark. My father in law had his f150 broken into in his driveway on a rainy night about 2 months ago. He lives in North Babylon and there were 5 other cars broken into on that same night. The cops told him to hide the evidence of the gps because there are so many car thefts in recent months. On a related note my wife used to take the train from Central Islip and there was a ton of broken glass at that station. This stuff is happening everywhere and its really sad. Good luck to you jp.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:41 AM

244 posts, read 664,271 times
Car Alarm didn't sound??

Old 04-10-2008, 08:46 AM

999 posts, read 2,348,578 times
1. don't leave anything in open view...

2. get a paging alarm

Old 04-10-2008, 09:51 AM

15 posts, read 75,544 times
I've had the same exact thing happen in Islip. Suffolk county is filled with criminals. I've moved into Nassau now.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:46 AM

45 posts, read 174,549 times
I'm so sorry that happened to you. It's simply not right.

I might recommend getting something like VZ Navigator. We have our cell phones through Verizon and they offer a GPS system that comes through the phone. I'm sure the other companies must have similar programs.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:43 AM

my car alarm did go off for alittle I was in the back and barely heard it when I looked outside everything looked fine.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:47 AM

Default got the bad news

I found out how much my car would be to fix it. $1500. Thank god my insurance is covering $1000 but $500 is still alot. At that rate point they should have just broke the window. would have been cheaper all for a cheap GPS.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:05 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,295,434 times
Default Equal opportunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimlessly Wandering View Post
I've had the same exact thing happen in Islip. Suffolk county is filled with criminals. I've moved into Nassau now.
I think it is fair to say that crime is an equal opportunity "county" offender. GPS break-ins and satellite radio thefts are up across the country. Suffolk is no worse than Nassau. They both have their share of bad areas and/or break-ins, as well as nice communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island