U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 06:30 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,772,117 times

Advertisements

I went to St Mary's high school in Manhasset back in the late 60's/ early '70's. One of my classmates was Tom Ford (RIP) son of Whitey Ford hall of fame pitcher for the Yankees. He invited me for a sleep over after a high school dance. We got back to his house in Lake Success at around 11 PM. In the kitchen playing cards were Whitey, Mantle, Yogi and Elston Howard. I was besides myself but Tom acted like it was a non event. Never asked for autographs as I was too intimidated.

Ten years later I'm on a date at Patrick's Pub in Little Neck. At 3 AM we are at the Scobbie Grill having breakfast. Who's at the counter but none other than Whitey Ford. I ask my date if she remembers Whitey and she does. I said would you like to meet him as he would remember me and the intro would be cool. I walk up to the counter just as Whitey is putting ketchup on his home fries, didn't work out well as ketchup ended all over his shirt. I decided to pass on the introduction. By the way I married the girl.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 08:30 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,772,117 times
Got a quarter?

If you are asking to pin point the time frame my bet is winter of 69 or 70, my sophomore or junior year.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:11 AM

2,335 posts, read 2,714,556 times
I have also met Whitey Ford, except I don't follow baseball so I had no idea who he was. I remember asking him what he did for a living, and he said "have you ever heard of Whitey Ford? (he was using his formal name Edward with me) I still had no idea who he was so he must of thought I was a jack ass. But the man was a true gentlemen.

I've also met Boomer Esiason, and I follow football so I knew who he was. He is sort of a douche bag in real life.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:52 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,181,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I have also met Whitey Ford, except I don't follow baseball so I had no idea who he was. I remember asking him what he did for a living, and he said "have you ever heard of Whitey Ford? (he was using his formal name Edward with me) I still had no idea who he was so he must of thought I was a jack ass. But the man was a true gentlemen.

I've also met Boomer Esiason, and I follow football so I knew who he was. He is sort of a douche bag in real life.
Boomer used to bring down ringers to his beer league hockey playoff games. And by ringers I mean an ex NHL player. The local leagues have cracked down on that now.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:35 AM

19,995 posts, read 29,842,691 times
Ran into Billy Joel many times (usually with Christie) when I was growing up in Huntington...a totally normal guy at least back in those days. Also many Islanders, a lot of them lived in Huntington including coach Al Arbour.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:50 AM

11,251 posts, read 15,118,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Ran into Billy Joel many times (usually with Christie) when I was growing up in Huntington...a totally normal guy at least back in those days. Also many Islanders, a lot of them lived in Huntington including coach Al Arbour.
I saw Christie in my work elevator in NYC about a year ago. (Not with Billy though).

Old 02-12-2019, 10:04 AM

4,839 posts, read 5,889,994 times
I met Walt Frazier at a church carnival in the 70's. He autographed my basketball.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:39 AM

12,715 posts, read 14,958,401 times
Christie Brinkley and her goony body guards basically shove people off the sidewalks in Sag Harbor when she walks around. I found the spectacle pretty disgusting.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:02 AM

2,057 posts, read 2,556,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Christie Brinkley and her goony body guards basically shove people off the sidewalks in Sag Harbor when she walks around. I found the spectacle pretty disgusting.
She hires a body guard when she walks around in Sag Harbor? Why? She's nothing note worthy. If anything she's an old, washed up model. A relic from the 80's. I'm sure no one would even care or even know who she was without her guards.

Is it me or are most celebs from Long Island douche bags in general? We should have a thread about which famous celeb from Long Island is not a douche bag.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:28 AM

11,251 posts, read 15,118,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
She hires a body guard when she walks around in Sag Harbor? Why? She's nothing note worthy. If anything she's an old, washed up model. A relic from the 80's. I'm sure no one would even care or even know who she was without her guards.

Is it me or are most celebs from Long Island douche bags in general? We should have a thread about which famous celeb from Long Island is not a douche bag.
I hear Dee Snider is really nice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island