Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2019, 03:28 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
And what creates zombies who can't comprehend the written word? I have not "lost many a neighborhood friends (sic)." I never buy crap products and rarely buy anything at all online.

You continue to make outrageous claims and have not supported any of them.
This individual keeps taking up for Walmart in a way that makes me think they're some kind of shill bot. And let's face it, the username choice is genius since Walmart and the Mastics go together like PB&J.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 06:14 PM

35,062 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
I see you inherited his sense of flexibility.
Explain. My set-up date that wound up with my marriage lived in Manhattan. But I dated ones from Westchester, Connecticut, New Jersey and Long Island as well.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:47 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I can see that for Melville or Islandia, but it doesn’t make much sense for Bethpage which is still on the main line and right before a junction point. It makes even less sense for Hicksville and at some point even less for Hempstead.

Virtually all commuter rail was built in its day to serve a singular central busines district and NJT, Metro-North, and Caltrain (in the Bay Area) are no different. SF is by far the largest single employment center in the Bay Area and the bulk of Metro-North and New Jersey Transit Train riders are headed to Manhattan, but all of these have substantial ridership headed towards other employment centers.

There were some seemingly, both in the several decades past and the couple decades past and potentially the near future, parts of Long Island were viable urban employment centers. These were and in some cases are better served than some of the other Tri-State and SV analogies. These seem on the surface viable and almost even likely or should be a foregone conclusion. Looking at this in comparison to the other area seems to point to some actual policy issues need to be addressed.

One anecdotal bit I want to note is that stretching back a while ago I’ve known people who have lamented the poor state of Newark, and from the C-D forums and other like places, Bridgeport and Yonkers, and have wished and wanted to see change and have it do better. Certainly there were people who dismissed these places outright, but there was always a contingent of people who really wanted better and some who are downright fanatical. It has been relatively rare to hear of someone wanting the same for Hempstead though have met people who have more or less wanted to wipe Hempstead out completely rather than try to figure out a way to fix it. This is, of course, an anecdote, but I’m curious about what other people’s general feel about this is.
Brookhaven Calabro Airport area has been discussed as a potential site for a business district. It is right in between two highways (LIE and Sunrise) and two LIRR lines (Mastics-Shirley and Yaphank), and just adjacent Brookhaven National Labs. It also spreads the population on the island out--not so one directional like it is today.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
And what creates zombies who can't comprehend the written word? I have not "lost many a neighborhood friends (sic)." I never buy crap products and rarely buy anything at all online.

You continue to make outrageous claims and have not supported any of them.
Sorry, I forget that Long Island is the suburbs. No such thing as neighborhood friends in the 'burbs. Nor do suburbanites give a damn about the environment. Amazon just has no place being in Queens.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Amazon allows many people to shop beyond their location where selection or pricing may be less than attractive, maybe you like going to the mall or wherever to shop but a lot of people don't. Its just another source to select from when you want to...
Amazon is for the suburb and rural folk. They do not belong in a dense urban setting. I take a walk to the ave for my goods. Amazon wants to make the city center extinct. Bezos wants to control the World and set all prices himself.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
This individual keeps taking up for Walmart in a way that makes me think they're some kind of shill bot. And let's face it, the username choice is genius since Walmart and the Mastics go together like PB&J.
There is no Walmart in the Mastics. But we do have a great environment for small business though. I still shop at the local butcher, bakery, farm stand and fish market. None of that Amazon online ordering crap.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:49 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Amazon is for the suburb and rural folk. They do not belong in a dense urban setting. I take a walk to the ave for my goods. Amazon wants to make the city center extinct. Bezos wants to control the World and set all prices himself.
Keep drinking the Kool-Aid, The lost business was an office complex not a department store but if your going to weight every business on how they fit into your vision of what shopping should be then you will probably find companies hesitant to move to NYC. Your rhetoric is the same thing they have said about every innovator in retail since Woolworth opened their first 5 & 10.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:28 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
There is no Walmart in the Mastics. But we do have a great environment for small business though. I still shop at the local butcher, bakery, farm stand and fish market. None of that Amazon online ordering crap.
The Mastics are a great environment for nothing besides foreclosed homes and '84 Camaros.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:42 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times

Let’s bring back the old city centers!

Old 02-27-2019, 09:11 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
The Mastics are a great environment for nothing besides foreclosed homes and '84 Camaros.
No hatin' on the Camaros. It's not the cars fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island