Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:44 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times

Advertisements

The people who hire day laborers should have to deal with them. Lets set up hiring sites in Woodbury (across from News 12), East Hills, Roslyn Village,etc and see how fast they change their tune on how great these guys are...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 12:37 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Shall we start a movement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
The people who hire day laborers should have to deal with them. Lets set up hiring sites in Woodbury (across from News 12), East Hills, Roslyn Village,etc and see how fast they change their tune on how great these guys are...

Old 07-31-2008, 07:56 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Well, I do alot of traveling as a home inspector and 2 things have stuck in my mind lately:

Freeport on Sunrise Hwy, there are 20+ day laborers (I assume) standing by Home Depot every day, all day......I past this area 3x at different times this past week. I never really seen them there before.

Farmingdale....yesterday. Wow! 4 areas (gas station, near a bus stop, vacant lot and a 7-11) had groups of a min. of 15 to a max. of 80+ laborers hanging out. I was amazed. its one thing to read about it, its another to see it. I wonder if anyone does anything about it? If I lived there, I would not be happy.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,373 times
Default huntington station is bad if you get caught up

moving from brooklyn to huntington station in the 90's i was shocked to see what i saw....the nieghborhood is divided in the "station" and the south side" the school district line is divided the hood down the middle of west 11th st and east 11th st....there is alot of bad blocks not just e.1st thru east 6 th theres fairground ave, there is the the avenues from 3rd to 11th ave craven st is terrible....lowndes ave, colombia street all these streets are the hood....alot of the gang issues stem from the late 90's where m.s 13 would terrorise the puerto rican and black youth this fueled the gang membership to soar as well as the hood being divided between south side and the station most youths dont cross sections cause there scared of what is to come...so people stick to there immediate community....the gang movement is steadily on the rise with very few bloods in huntington station a surging crip movement from the station all the way to greenlawn...and the the station area also has quite a few Latin kings.....also through huntington station i have come across alot of Universal Zulu Nation members that sport red black and green beads most members are african american and also many of puerto rican and dominican desent they seem to be a positive force in the community but from what i hear them and the latin kings have had an ongong rivalry if you live in huntington station you will see these guy actually everywhere huntington is a crazy place to live and its sad to see that cause when i moved here there were options now its almost kill or be killed

Old 08-22-2008, 12:19 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatingabovethehood View Post
moving from brooklyn to huntington station in the 90's i was shocked to see what i saw....the nieghborhood is divided in the "station" and the south side" the school district line is divided the hood down the middle of west 11th st and east 11th st....there is alot of bad blocks not just e.1st thru east 6 th theres fairground ave, there is the the avenues from 3rd to 11th ave craven st is terrible....lowndes ave, colombia street all these streets are the hood....alot of the gang issues stem from the late 90's where m.s 13 would terrorise the puerto rican and black youth this fueled the gang membership to soar as well as the hood being divided between south side and the station most youths dont cross sections cause there scared of what is to come...so people stick to there immediate community....the gang movement is steadily on the rise with very few bloods in huntington station a surging crip movement from the station all the way to greenlawn...and the the station area also has quite a few Latin kings.....also through huntington station i have come across alot of Universal Zulu Nation members that sport red black and green beads most members are african american and also many of puerto rican and dominican desent they seem to be a positive force in the community but from what i hear them and the latin kings have had an ongong rivalry if you live in huntington station you will see these guy actually everywhere huntington is a crazy place to live and its sad to see that cause when i moved here there were options now its almost kill or be killed
You forgot MS13.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:33 PM

12 posts, read 22,424 times
Default 2 Elevatingabovethehood

Would the hood include either eighth or ninth street behind where the bus comapny is and the rairlroad tracks are? Ther is going to be a group home there and this gringo is concerned for his safety!!

Old 05-24-2010, 05:40 PM

12 posts, read 22,424 times
Default To Tom Moser

hello Tom:

There is going to be a group home put down on 9th street rightr behind where the bus company and I think there used to be a diner down near where the train tracks are. is that a really bad area to move to?

Old 05-24-2010, 09:28 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smithtown View Post
hello Tom:

There is going to be a group home put down on 9th street rightr behind where the bus company and I think there used to be a diner down near where the train tracks are. is that a really bad area to move to?
There is still a deli there...
A lot of rentals in that neighborhood.

Old 05-16-2021, 02:16 AM

2 posts, read 731 times
Can anyone add an update here? What's going on in Huntington Station now? Is the whole area just a No Go?

Old 05-16-2021, 01:08 PM

7 posts, read 5,531 times
I'd like to know too. I've been looking to purchase a home there. How is the leyden street area? It's between Depot and Lenox Road east of 110.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island