Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 02:43 PM

13 posts, read 22,329 times

Advertisements

A worker from National Grid knocked on our door around 11:30 a.m. today, no one was home (we have a security camera).

They left a little "Sorry we missed you" card on our door, and it basically told us we need to schedule an appointment with them or we will face fines and could lose our gas service if we don't.

I dunno, I am not really OK with the idea of anyone showing up at my door without an appointment insisting they need to come inside of my house unless it's clearly an emergency. So, even if I had been home and answered the door, I probably wouldn't have let them in anyway.

I am definitely gunna call the number they left and schedule an appointment, but it just seems like a weird way to go about doing things, especially in today's world. The house next to ours was recently sold and is undergoing quite a few renovations right now, could that be why we were flagged?

Just wondering, I have only been a homeowner in Nassau County for about a year and a half now so I don't know if this is a normal occurrence for homeowners here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 03:00 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Did you recently convert to gas?

Old 03-12-2019, 03:01 PM

87 posts, read 99,301 times
We had an inspection about a year ago. We got a postcard to schedule an appointment and all checked out (I called the phone number on my bill and they use another company to inspect). The representative on the phone said they needed access inside but when the guys came they just looked at the meter outside. We have a locked gate so they needed access from me to get into my yard.
If I remember correctly they want to inspect every 2 years. I was surprised we needed an inspection as we converted about 2 years prior.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:05 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croquemadame View Post
A worker from National Grid knocked on our door around 11:30 a.m. today, no one was home (we have a security camera).

They left a little "Sorry we missed you" card on our door, and it basically told us we need to schedule an appointment with them or we will face fines and could lose our gas service if we don't.

I dunno, I am not really OK with the idea of anyone showing up at my door without an appointment insisting they need to come inside of my house unless it's clearly an emergency. So, even if I had been home and answered the door, I probably wouldn't have let them in anyway.

I am definitely gunna call the number they left and schedule an appointment, but it just seems like a weird way to go about doing things, especially in today's world. The house next to ours was recently sold and is undergoing quite a few renovations right now, could that be why we were flagged?

Just wondering, I have only been a homeowner in Nassau County for about a year and a half now so I don't know if this is a normal occurrence for homeowners here.
What kind of drugs are you hiding?? What's the big deal?

Old 03-12-2019, 03:06 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
What do they inspect, 30 years of homes with NG and our provider has never inspected inside the home?

Old 03-12-2019, 04:02 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,081,883 times
Apparently it's now a NY state requirement. I got a similar letter from Con Ed in NYC and posted in the NYC forum where there is some more information in this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...nspection.html

Old 03-12-2019, 05:09 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,879,879 times
Do you still have an old meter that needs to be manually read? That was the last time NatGrid requested to come into our house - to convert it. That was at least 4 years ago. It's like the water meter - a remote reading from outside whereas before I inputted it into their website (for accuracy).

Old 03-12-2019, 05:55 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,864,869 times
It should just be for people with their meters inside the house. Ours is in the basement and it took them about 5 minutes to look at it and make sure it wasn't falling apart.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:10 PM

592 posts, read 919,534 times
Speaking of which, if you are sitting on the fence about converting to gas, do it now. AOC-type Libs are killing pipelines and National Grid will likely put a moratorium in place after May 15. Google ConEd and the Westchester debacle for more info.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:00 PM

13 posts, read 22,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Did you recently convert to gas?
Nope. We have a gas line to the house but it's only for our dryer and stove as far as I know. We have oil heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island