Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 09:35 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
No we know why many intelligent talented kids never get into the top notch schools. The corrupt liberals are literally everywhere. Even Obama's tennis coach was part of this nationwide scandal.
Another Rush Limbaugh addict with liberals on the brain.

Try some new entertainment for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 12:40 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Not to bne that guy.... but

If the below schools were not involved what does this have to do with LI?

Private:
Webb Institute in Nassau County (Glen Cove
Because *most* Long Island parents care very much about education.

I live in Ohio now, and it was strange to me that even as late as Fall in senior year, many of my daughter's friends had not yet thought about college.

Long Island has always been a bit college obsessed, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

A bad thing is bribing one's way into college. I personally have lost a lot of respect for Ivies in the past 15 years, when my kids, my friend's kids, and sibling's kids all applied to college.

A disproportionate number of Ivy League students are legacies, who have a family history with the school.
For people who are "old money", that does not always mean that they come from a super smart family. It might mean that their family was here in 17th century or before and chose one of the few existing colleges in the country. They were generally all for white, Protestant men. (Women's colleges came in the 19th C)

In the 1960s and 70s, many boys at the elite East Woods School wrote the names of an Ivy League school on the outer pages of their school books. When my sister asked a few school mates why they had "Dartmouth", "Yale" "Harvard" or "Princeton" written on the pages opposite the binding, she was told "because that's my family's school" or "because my father went there, and I will too".

My parents were pretty amazed. They already knew.

The Bush's are a Yale family, for example. Although, one of the Bush twins attended UT Austin.

Ivy Leagues also have a disproportionate number of child stars. Is Brooke Shields a genius? Princeton? Really? Most professional children have had a spotty education at best.

The same can be said for "A" list celebrities - are ALL their kids geniuses?

The celebrities in question were not exactly "A" list. I am a huge fan of William H. Macy, but his name hardly a household word.

What I think is that this is a clumsy and reprehensible attempt to do what the socially elite have been doing for ever - automatic acceptance at their family's college.

What is sad, is that there are so many academically challenging, well regarded colleges and universities that are well known to academics, employers and graduate schools that parents - including these celebrities and many suburban parents, have never heard of, but have as much clout where it counts - and where the education is superb.

People don't think outside of the box - The Box being not only Ivies, but "Famous" colleges with name recognition. Sometimes the name recognition is deserved. Many times it isn't.

Colleges with famous sports teams, universities that bear the name of a large, desirable city, or region - are also in this group.

People need to start sending their kids to colleges that are a good fit for their child - NOT a college that will impress your next door neighbors.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:42 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Now we know how AOC got that degree from BU
Or, how Donald Trump got into The University of Pennsylvania.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:23 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLEO View Post
LI, epicenter of white working class families struggling to make ends meet and paying ridiculous taxes so illegal immigrants and low income families can experience the same quality of life for their non-white children. Apparently that's the new definition of white privilege.
That’s why my white taxes are so high?

Old 03-16-2019, 02:12 PM

305 posts, read 196,191 times
Or Ivanka or Kushner. Or how W got into Yale.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:56 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber11 View Post
Or Ivanka or Kushner. Or how W got into Yale.
Or Kennedy.

Obama I'm not so sure about. Apparently after high school he cleaned up his act at Occidental, but all that was pretty lackluster. Occidental isn't known to be a feeder school to Columbia.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:29 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Or, how Donald Trump got into The University of Pennsylvania.
there was no collusion

Old 03-16-2019, 05:41 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Besides American celebrities, these elite schools also admit a disproportionate amount of members of royal families from Europe and the Middle East.

Old 03-16-2019, 06:43 PM

5,054 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Or Kennedy.

Obama I'm not so sure about. Apparently after high school he cleaned up his act at Occidental, but all that was pretty lackluster. Occidental isn't known to be a feeder school to Columbia.
Or Malia Obama into Harvard.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:05 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Wait I thought that African-Americans and Latinos got preferential treatment in college admissions, even if they just hopped over the border yesterday (or 20 years ago; my mother was born in Argentina so you're damn right I, and my kids after me, will be checking that box). Can't check that Asian box though, you'll be discriminated against.

****, NY now provides free college tuition to illegal immigrants. I'm lolling at Aunt Becky at al. buying into Ivys, but don't pretend for an instant that it's an even playing field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island