Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 11:07 PM

514 posts, read 438,679 times

Advertisements

The insurer is Metlife and assuming comprehensive coverage, is the process pretty painless? Call the agent report the incident, send pics and get claim adjudicated (minus the deductible).

Is it going to be a good decision to call insurance or simply get it fixed by the car dealer. The bumper seems to be pushed in from the corner so it appears that it would be easy to fix..maybe somehow push it out from inside and it will pop out in place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 12:12 AM

430 posts, read 557,340 times
That sounds like minor damage. There are a few factors to consider. If the damage is only to the bumper cover and you have a high deductible, the claim may not even help pay for it. Did you make a police report? If you did then you vehicle history now shows an accident, lowering the resale value of the vehicle. Of course if you lease, that doesn't matter. I would just try to pop it out on my own and see how it looks. If it doesn't bother you once it's popped out, let it be.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:04 AM

514 posts, read 438,679 times
No police report and haven't reported to insurance either. Was thinking may check with dealer if they can do it on my maintenance visit..doesn't look like a big job. Yes I agree depending on the deductible, it may make sense to deal with it on my own..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
That sounds like minor damage. There are a few factors to consider. If the damage is only to the bumper cover and you have a high deductible, the claim may not even help pay for it. Did you make a police report? If you did then you vehicle history now shows an accident, lowering the resale value of the vehicle. Of course if you lease, that doesn't matter. I would just try to pop it out on my own and see how it looks. If it doesn't bother you once it's popped out, let it be.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:26 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
it may not be worth the ding on your CLUE report if your insurer pays you

Old 03-31-2019, 02:35 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Bumpers are $100, a screwdriver and 30 minutes will have it off and a replacement on.

If only cosmetic and no structural damage, this is the best route to go.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:26 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Depending on the car there is a sub structure of foam that may need replacing, body shops will provide a no cost estimate (in the real world) why not get this first then determine what path you'll take with it.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:44 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
No police report and haven't reported to insurance either. Was thinking may check with dealer if they can do it on my maintenance visit..doesn't look like a big job. Yes I agree depending on the deductible, it may make sense to deal with it on my own..
Most dealers don't have their own body shop. They will take it to a body shop so you might as well go to a body shop directly for an estimate. Bumpers are not $100 items as someone indicated in this thread.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:47 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I handle auto claims. It falls under your collision not comprehensive- yes even though it was a hit and run. Collision between two cars is collision. Doesn't matter if you were in the car or not. Get an estimate and decide what to do. A bumper isn’t $100. Most people underestimate two things - the cost of labor and materials and the time it will take to fix their vehicle.

A lot will depend on the Y/M/M of your car and how bad you want it perfect. Be up front about these things with your repairer. We had damage to a car a couple years ago - DH told the shop to fix the bumper but we were not overly married to the car being perfect, and it was fairly cheap. Our kid had an accident and we paid the other party out of pocket. Original estimate was a little high with a possibility of supplemental damage. I emailed the shop (good shop, not shady but pricey) from my work email and asked them to send me the final estimate when he had it. Lo and behold the FINAL price came in $300 less than the original - and that was with the supplement (the owner of the car had even asked them not to crazy with repairs since she was selling the car once it was fixed).

If you pay out of pocket get a couple estimates. You can compare and ask questions if there are big differences.

Last edited by twingles; 03-31-2019 at 06:57 AM..

Old 03-31-2019, 06:53 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
yes there is a difference between comprehensive and collision ...here in ny your insurer can't raise you for comprehensive claims but they can drop you . collision claims can be surcharged or dropped ...

both effect your CLUE report negatively unless another insurer reimburses yours so basically when it comes to clue any payout by your insurer is a blemish .

Old 03-31-2019, 07:53 AM

730 posts, read 1,658,115 times
Check youtube.com, they show a number of different ways to fix the issue without having to remove the bumper cover.

I've never done it, so I cannot comment if this works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island