Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 09:54 AM

323 posts, read 199,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Not even reading that drivel. Leave the trees alone unless they are a threat to safety.
Go back to Queens bro.
When we moved to Bethpage, one of the reasons we bought our house was because of all of the beautiful trees that lined the street. In the summer it kept things nice and cool and looked so pretty. Cue in 10 years later and most of our neighbors cut them down and my block now looks like a barren, concrete jungle. We can now see into our neighbors yards and lost our privacy. Also, every summer our once green lawn now turns brown, burns up and dies. Every time one of our neighbors cuts another tree down we plant a new one on our property.

These trees were not diseased or dying either. The problem is most people who cut their trees down are too lazy to the rake leaves or too cheap to hire an Amigo with a leaf blower. One of my lazy neighbors said he cut of his trees down because the leaves fell in his pool. Boo Hoo. I hate it when idiots like OP cut down beautiful trees and if I wanted my neighborhood to look of Queens I would have stayed there.

Last edited by dk1111; 04-02-2019 at 10:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 10:54 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1111 View Post
When we moved to Bethpage, one of the reasons we bought our house was because of all of the beautiful trees that lined the street. In the summer it kept things nice and cool and looked so pretty. Cue in 10 years later and most of our neighbors cut them down and my block now looks like a barren, concrete jungle. We can now see into our neighbors yards and lost our privacy. Also, every summer our once green lawn now turns brown, burns up and dies. Every time one of our neighbors cuts another tree down we plant a new one on our property.

These trees were not diseased or dying either. The problem is most people who cut their trees down are too lazy to the rake leaves or too cheap to hire an Amigo with a leaf blower. One of my lazy neighbors said he cut of his trees down because the leaves fell in his pool. Boo Hoo. I hate it when idiots like OP cut down beautiful trees and if I wanted my neighborhood to look of Queens I would have stayed there.
Don't forget those ding bats in Oyster Bay town hall, that cut down tree after tree after tree on streets because they "damaged the sidewalk".

Old 04-02-2019, 11:36 AM

983 posts, read 725,161 times
In Great Neck after Sandy so many trees were cut... It was devastating. Really old amazing trees that made great neck unique, gone.

Also people from the town of north heampstead cutting trees. When I approached them and asked them why, the guy lied and said they were diseased. All the trees in a street? Really? Coincidentally they were putting new power lines!

Old 04-02-2019, 03:27 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1111 View Post

Re: the trees that "lined the street": Unless they are Town owned trees adjacent to the street, any such trees are owned by the homeowner. Expecting everyone on the street to permanently keep their own landscaping the same is just as illogical as expecting them to never alter the appearance of the outside of their house with a different paint color, siding, or adding onto it. There was never a guarantee that any such trees would always be there. Even if they were Town trees (see comment re: Oyster Bay above) there's no guarantee, although often the Town will replace the removed tree with something else. But that's up to them, not the homeowners on the street.

Re: lawn turning brown in summer: That's what all lawn grass does in summer if it doesn't get enough water for the temperature and sunlight conditions it's in. And it doesn't "die", the blades just go dormant and they green up again on their own when the weather cools down again in the fall. Want something that stays green all summer regardless of heat, full sun, and no extra watering? Plant a clover lawn instead. Good for the bees too.

Re: When neighbors cut down one of their trees you plant one in your yard: Okay, good for you, you're mitigating what you see as a problem. Maybe you should (or should have) proactively plant a few more so that you won't be dependent on your neighbors for your privacy and your shade.

Re: if I wanted my neighborhood to look of Queens I would have stayed there: IMHO, if you want everything to always stay exactly the same in your neighborhood maybe you should have moved into an HOA community where there are umpteen rules against anyone changing anything.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:15 AM

345 posts, read 338,784 times
I have 65 trees on my 1/2 acre. I can't wait to cut down the 8 or so huge dumb oak trees in the middle of it. I cut one down last year that was about 4' wide at the base. Fight me.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Re: the trees that "lined the street": Unless they are Town owned trees adjacent to the street, any such trees are owned by the homeowner. Expecting everyone on the street to permanently keep their own landscaping the same is just as illogical as expecting them to never alter the appearance of the outside of their house with a different paint color, siding, or adding onto it. There was never a guarantee that any such trees would always be there. Even if they were Town trees (see comment re: Oyster Bay above) there's no guarantee, although often the Town will replace the removed tree with something else. But that's up to them, not the homeowners on the street.

Re: lawn turning brown in summer: That's what all lawn grass does in summer if it doesn't get enough water for the temperature and sunlight conditions it's in. And it doesn't "die", the blades just go dormant and they green up again on their own when the weather cools down again in the fall. Want something that stays green all summer regardless of heat, full sun, and no extra watering? Plant a clover lawn instead. Good for the bees too.

Re: When neighbors cut down one of their trees you plant one in your yard: Okay, good for you, you're mitigating what you see as a problem. Maybe you should (or should have) proactively plant a few more so that you won't be dependent on your neighbors for your privacy and your shade.
Sorry, but the things you're saying are kind of dumb.
We're not talking about keeping the landscaping intact. Just keeping the old/established trees.
There's not way to replace one old tree with a new one in a different place. Once you cut the tree down you lost 100 years of growth.

And dk1111 was referring to cool season grass. The shade that trees provide helps reduce the amount of water needed. Not to mention absortion of CO2.

Quote:
Re: if I wanted my neighborhood to look of Queens I would have stayed there: IMHO, if you want everything to always stay exactly the same in your neighborhood maybe you should have moved into an HOA community where there are umpteen rules against anyone changing anything.
There's no way of moving away of people cutting trees. The trees that are cut anywhere is a problem for everyone. It's amazing how people don't see this.
When you go from Hempstead to Garden city the most impressive difference is "no trees"/"trees".
Cutting trees brings the value of the area down.

There are studies about the benefits of trees everywhere now a days...

Old 04-03-2019, 10:02 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times
I'm not arguing about the benefits of trees; I totally agree with you there.

My point was that the same people who complain about our local government (Village, Town, County, whatever) having too much say in what homeowners can and cannot do, are sometimes the very same people who throw a hissy fit if someone mentions wanting to cut down trees that are on their own property.

Obviously there's some overlap. Some Towns or Villages have building codes that say you cannot have hardscape covering more than a certain percentage of your lot; others don't. I know of at least one village (Nissequogue) that says you cannot clear more than a certain percentage of a lot, and if you do, they will fine you until you replant. But in most cases the property owner is allowed to do whatever they like as far as their own trees are concerned -- and in my opinion that's the way it should be. Whether you or I or anyone else thinks their decision is environmentally responsible, is another question entirely. That's not the point I was trying to make.

That said...there are certain trees that are simply ill-suited to suburban landscapes. For example, willows with their root systems that aggressively seek out water should not be anywhere near cesspools or septic systems if you want those systems to remain intact. Trees that form large roots close to the surface shouldn't be adjacent to sidewalks or driveways or foundations. Large old trees too close to a structure can pose a risk of damage from falling limbs (some homeowners insurance companies nowadays are making tree removal a requirement for placing coverage, especially since the last few major hurricanes).

Just because a tree was planted (or seeded itself) 75 or 100 years ago when that land was just empty acreage doesn't mean it's smart to let it remain there despite the use of that area having completely changed. Mature oaks and maples and willows are fantastic trees for forests, parks, etc. They are NOT good trees for areas with umpteen houses placed close together on 1/4, 1/3, or 1/2 acre lots also containing driveways, waste disposal systems, sidewalks, inground swimming pools, overhead utililty lines, etc. In other words your typical Long Island development/neighborhood.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 04-03-2019 at 10:25 AM..

Old 04-03-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Whether you or I or anyone else thinks their decision is environmentally responsible, is another question entirely. That's not the point I was trying to make.
That IS the point I was trying to make.
And I don't think "is another question entirely".

What we all do in hour yards affect us all, starting by the next door neighbor, to the neighborhood, the town...The world.

You may not agree with that, but your kids or grandchildren will.
Let's keep this place the way we found it, as much as possible.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:09 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
The city of NY tried keeping some trees like they found it and it wound up costing them dearly because it fell on a child and killed them. We all have a life span and that goes for trees.

If, it is your property and you see fit to chop them all down, that is your right too. Whether I agree this is a smart thing to do or not is of no consequence. However, don't touch a TNH tree or you will be feeling the repercussions of doing so. Again, JMO.

Old 04-03-2019, 01:29 PM

551 posts, read 1,576,004 times
How in the world are you going to "flatten" an 8 foot, upward elevation over a distance of, what 30 feet? You need not worry about pissing off the neighbors about water in their basements, you are going to create a river a runoff water speeding directly toward your house. After you spend $30k to do this, you are going to spend $75k to rebuild that retaining wall. Maybe $150k if the adjoining properties collapse when the wall is gone. I would be worried much more about the integrity of that wall, than the prospects for removing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island