Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 06:37 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I live in the area. Most of 3V is wooded. If you want to be closer to stores in an area which is not too wooded, check out the developments south of 347 off of Mark Tree. Big houses, not many trees, close to stores. Hancock, Providence, Brayton are some of the streets in that neighborhood.

Setauket is more wooded than Stony Brook. Just stay in the developments and its fine. Old Stony Brook is wooded. I grew up in the M section and its all suburbs. Anything north of university heights road will be wooded. And theres plenty of stores there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Anywhere near 347 and Nichols is a cluster f. The traffic is ridiculous. I would stay away from anything near it.
Traffic is ridiculous? You just described all of Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 08:36 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Setauket is more wooded than Stony Brook. Just stay in the developments and its fine. Old Stony Brook is wooded. I grew up in the M section and its all suburbs. Anything north of university heights road will be wooded. And theres plenty of stores there.
Setauket south of SBU -- the big, newer developments off Pond Path and Mark Tree are less wooded than Stony Brook north of SBU. That is why I suggested Setauket.

Both towns north of 25A have a good amount of trees. My neighborhood is heavily treed. If it weren't, I would have a great water view year round.

I'm happy to report that current residents in your old M section a year or two ago fought the Highway department when they wanted to cut down all the curb side trees in order to repave. S section is rather heavily treed and the B section has a nice canopy as well.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Setauket south of SBU -- the big, newer developments off Pond Path and Mark Tree are less wooded than Stony Brook north of SBU. That is why I suggested Setauket.

Both towns north of 25A have a good amount of trees. My neighborhood is heavily treed. If it weren't, I would have a great water view year round.

I'm happy to report that current residents in your old M section a year or two ago fought the Highway department when they wanted to cut down all the curb side trees in order to repave. S section is rather heavily treed and the B section has a nice canopy as well.
Maybe, but the M and S and other sections are not in the woods! Yes they have trees but you can see all the houses from the street!

Old 04-12-2019, 02:32 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,736 times
Quote:

Traffic is ridiculous? You just described all of Long Island.
All? Somewhat, but, this particular area is a nightmare with SBU, SBH,Suffolk cc.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Maybe, but the M and S and other sections are not in the woods! Yes they have trees but you can see all the houses from the street!
The OP is coming from NYC. He asked for an area that is not too wooded and near stores. Some of the alphabet neighborhoods will tick off both those boxes.

//www.city-data.com/forum/54919186-post11.html

In an earlier post you stated that 'anything north of University Heights will be wooded'. Have you been to Long Hill lately? You can see all the houses from the street. In fact, in most of SBV and Setauket you can see all the houses from the street.

Do you currently live in 3V, or are you basing this off memories?

Old 04-12-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
All? Somewhat, but, this particular area is a nightmare with SBU, SBH,Suffolk cc.
I won't venture south on Stony Brook Rd and Nicolls after 430 pm if I can help it.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:10 AM

5 posts, read 5,810 times
Sounds like stony brook would be good. I definitely want to stay away from the woods.
Which sections in stony brook would be nice with young children? Is it possible to be away from the woods but at the same time, safe enough that they can ride their bikes? Thanks again!

Old 04-29-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneny View Post
Sounds like stony brook would be good. I definitely want to stay away from the woods.
Which sections in stony brook would be nice with young children? Is it possible to be away from the woods but at the same time, safe enough that they can ride their bikes? Thanks again!
I would first suggest the S Section (Strathmore) which is just east of Nicolls Rd near 347. Very family oriented. There are one or two members on this board who live there and can give you more information.
Long Hill is another nice neighborhood which is a loop, no through traffic, family friendly. It is where both of my children learned to ride bikes while visiting family that lives there.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I would first suggest the S Section (Strathmore) which is just east of Nicolls Rd near 347. Very family oriented. There are one or two members on this board who live there and can give you more information.
Long Hill is another nice neighborhood which is a loop, no through traffic, family friendly. It is where both of my children learned to ride bikes while visiting family that lives there.
S or M section is what you are looking for. I was raised in the M section. The only woods were by the schools. Most of that is built up today. We rode our bikes and walked to the stores all the time.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:32 PM

450 posts, read 386,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneny View Post

This is 2 years too late but I wanted to check back and see if we could hear back from you, what did you end up doing and are you happy with your decision 2 years later.
Also, is there a specific reason why you want stay away from the woods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island