Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 12:29 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,314,534 times

Advertisements

[quote=Jdawg8181;54924994]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Lake Grove has some 800,000+ homes including one going for 1.68 million.[/quote]

That one is mine

You pay 1 million for a view of the mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 03:25 PM

9,923 posts, read 23,057,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Edit: Ok you thought I meant 800,000 as in number of homes. I forgot to put the $ in front of that number.

mlsli. I'm not joking. Near Smithhaven mall. This is the > 1 mil home. Others on that block are in the 800,000 range.

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1755-264732769

Yes, I saw it. Clueless builder and agent...

Old 04-12-2019, 05:25 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,261,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Stay out of Brookhaven. It's the worst run township on long island.
If it wasn't for Brookhaven I wouldn't have started buying up properties on Long Island. I can't justify paying 2x plus the property tax than what I currently pay in Brookhaven.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:23 AM

456 posts, read 1,424,681 times
What about Nesconset? It's right next to St. James, part of the Town of Smithtown, next door to Lake Grove, and is a generally nice area to live.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:46 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,293,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Yes, I saw it. Clueless builder and agent...
That price has to be a mistake. For that kind of $$ there is endless options so many other neighborhoods.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:04 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,314,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
That price has to be a mistake. For that kind of $$ there is endless options so many other neighborhoods.

I thought so too. Drove down there one day and those houses are enormous. Checked the sold prices on that block and some sold for more than $900,000.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:54 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,130,940 times
Horrendous styling and some cheap fixtures. The Tuscan kitchen look is so 2007 as well.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:06 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Just as extra clarification: it's the buried (underground) oil tanks that are a problem. If the tank is outside but above ground, not a problem, it can be left in place.

Also, some homeowners insurance companies will accept an underground tank if it's fiberglass rather than steel. Our last house had a 500 gallon fiberglass underground tank and never a problem with getting insurance. But if it had been steel it would have been a total nonstarter.

Fiberglass tanks look like a giant round Christmas tree ornament, lol. They are typically the larger sizes, i.e., 500 or 1100 gallon capacity.
Great clarification. I had a fiberglass 550 tank - still don’t like buried tanks of any sort, as they accumulate water over time.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:59 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,267,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Village of the Branch is a very desirable part of Smithtown and not the problem area you are making it out to be. If it was as terrible as you say there would be for sale signs all over. Work has been done to remedy the groundwater issue.

I agree, it's a great location and area. But to a first time homeowner like we were back in 2007, taking on a house that had possible flooding issues was not something we were comfortable with. The article you posted is from 2018, quite a long ways from when BBCjunkie and I were searching that area.

Also, chronic flooding problems over all those years will take it's toll, so I'd probably be wary about houses there still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
If so, that is good news. I do know that when we were house hunting in the early 2000s it was still a major problem. And we were seeing houses around Terrace Lane and Branch Drive... not even the ones closer to Miller's Pond which even my local St. James realtor said would be just asking for trouble.

We looked at a house just a few down from Maureen's Kitchen which looked pretty great from the outside. In the basement though, everything was raised off the floor because there were puddles, actual puddles, all over the concrete floor. And that was after they had put in a sump pump. The realtor told me that french drains were cheap and that's all the house needed. We passed.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:54 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,026,360 times
Yes, and the July 2018 article only said that the remedial work was "on the way" and "could start as soon as" autumn of that year, i.e., at least several months in the future.

Of course we all know that ALL government-funded projects ALWAYS begin on time, lol....

Anyway, Google can't seem to find any updates on the subject, so whether said work has even begun, let alone finished and effectiveness assessed, is not known. The article also cited officials saying "we are hoping" that it will be "a reasonably long term" [not a 'permanent'] fix" so obviously they are hoping for the best outcome but don't know for sure.

Structural damage via groundwater is insidious. I have seen firsthand what chronic subsurface water exposure does to a poured concrete footing: It goes from a mixture of cement and aggregate, to mostly aggregate barely held together by a minimal amount of cement, until finally the cement matrix dissolves to the point of failure and the footing disintegrates into nothing but a collection of small and medium size stones. And your entire house (basement slab, basement walls, and wood framing atop them) is supported by said footings. Even a slab on grade foundation has/should have some type of footing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island