Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I be moving ahead with this house?
Yes, no worries on permit 4 26.67%
Yes, get your own permits 0 0%
No you could end up spending a lot of money 4 26.67%
No you should insist on seeing permits on the house or report to the town 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 766 times

Advertisements

Hi
I have an accepted offer on a flipped house in plainview. The builder is not ready to provide any permit information on the all the renovation work that was done and is insisting that only cosmetic changes were made. The house also has a gas boiler. How do I make sure all work was done to code and is permitted with the town, especially the gas boiler? TOB required notarized letter from the owner to let me see the house information that the owner is not willing to sign.

Please help! I have an inspector coming in in 2 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 03:06 PM

2,686 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Probably not the answer you want. If it’s a true flip and was only cosmetic the builder probably didn’t pull any permits. Most houses in Plainview have gas it’s probably legit. When the title search is done it will show any and all issues. Ex. If they added a new bathroom with no permit or if the gas isn’t legal. The owner probably doesn’t care to give you a letter since he knows he house is selling whether you buy it or not. I sold in Plainview last year, had a damn line for the open house and was well over ask and off market in 4 days.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:47 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Personally I would run. The only other option you have is to ask what the builder did and then go to TOB and simply explain that you are trying to buy this house and want to know how many, if any permits were filed. They may just say none. The bigger issue is you will have sunk $$ into an inspection and title search and then find out you are on the hook for what he did without permits.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:11 PM

6 posts, read 11,386 times
dont buy a flipped house

Old 04-17-2019, 11:21 PM

321 posts, read 595,594 times
I would never buy a flip, especially on LI.

The person you are buying from was out to screw the original owner and they're out to ********* as well. They will cut any and all corners to make a profit.

If you want to renovate a house, do it yourself. Don't move into someone else's project.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:31 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Flippers are fast in and out because time is money. The fact that he is not willing to sign a notarized letter to the town makes me question his integrity.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:02 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Walk (or run) away. Too many red flags already.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:27 AM

783 posts, read 1,422,272 times
How much do you like\love this house? Is it a good deal? If you are willing to walk away from this house, inform the builder that you won't sign any contract unless it contain strong language that house must have all permits and COs. Hold off on the inspection until you hear back from agent/builder.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:43 AM

9 posts, read 6,628 times
If he got permits your taxes will go up much higher. If you love the house and it is a good deal then go for it

Old 04-18-2019, 09:47 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
OP, what does your lawyer say about the situation?

Clearly if you go ahead with any house purchase he'll be involved and so why not touch base with him before committing any further?

Also I am not sure why the Town is requiring a notarized letter of permission from the property owner ... Are you asking to see information that is not covered by a simple FOIL (Freedom Of Information Law) request on your part?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island