Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2019, 07:50 PM

90 posts, read 145,779 times

Advertisements

I heard many times that daily commute from NJ to the city is painful with frequent delays. Commuting from Westchester is more or less reliable. What about commuting on LIRR from Long Island? (from towns with good schools, reasonably close to the city like Great Neck or Roslyn). Can anyone compare LI with NJ or Westchester commute? Is LIRR more similar to NJ trains, as both go through Penn station? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 08:32 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
Can't speak to Metro North or NJT but the LIRR is trash.

meanwhile I'm in my 15th year commuting ...

Old 04-13-2019, 11:11 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,786,106 times
I vote for Westchester being the better commute. Before I married and moved to Long Island, I used to commute to midtown Manhattan from an ex-boyfriend’s house in Rye, NY. Metro North was fast and not as many delays. The tracks seemed smoother too, the seats slightly more spacious. I always found a parking spot at the station or within a reasonable walking distance to the station.

LIRR can have more delays due to signal problems, and lots of track problems depending on the specific line (best line is Port Washington due to no changing at Jamaica, followed by Babylon..worst is Oyster Bay). Evening rush hour also stinks as trains leave from different tracks so you cant always predict where to wait when your train comes in. Finding parking at stations is a struggle even w resident parking stickers because the lots are small. Grand Central is a nicer station than Penn which has a tiny waiting room resembling a homeless shelter...so yes...my vote goes to Metro North over LIRR any day.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:24 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,715,051 times
NJ trains are much worse by far than LIRR. More delays, less frequency nights and weekends. At least with the LIRR, you could take the subway to Atlantic terminal and maybe get a train home from there or take the subway into Queens and find your way home via bus or LIRR from there. With NJ, there's no subway. Maybe you can take PATH, NY waterways, or a bus from PABT if you get stuck and then find your way home. When the NJ trains get stuck, they mess up the LIRR at Penn Station sometimes.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:05 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,332,056 times
Roslyn is ob lone and terrible. You would prob go to near by mineola unless you are walkable to the station. GN is as easy as it gets, 25 min to penn.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:34 AM

151 posts, read 130,222 times
Metro North is better, but they're too snobby/classy up north. The LIRR is the place where its more easygoing.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:56 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicsos View Post
Metro North is better, but they're too snobby/classy up north. The LIRR is the place where its more easygoing.
I’m still waiting for them to come around with mimosas

Old 04-15-2019, 05:06 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I vote for Westchester being the better commute. Before I married and moved to Long Island, I used to commute to midtown Manhattan from an ex-boyfriend’s house in Rye, NY. Metro North was fast and not as many delays. The tracks seemed smoother too, the seats slightly more spacious. I always found a parking spot at the station or within a reasonable walking distance to the station.

LIRR can have more delays due to signal problems, and lots of track problems depending on the specific line (best line is Port Washington due to no changing at Jamaica, followed by Babylon..worst is Oyster Bay). Evening rush hour also stinks as trains leave from different tracks so you cant always predict where to wait when your train comes in. Finding parking at stations is a struggle even w resident parking stickers because the lots are small. Grand Central is a nicer station than Penn which has a tiny waiting room resembling a homeless shelter...so yes...my vote goes to Metro North over LIRR any day.
I was going to say that the Port Jeff line is worse than Oyster Bay and by on time performance it is...but Ronkonkoma was even worse with < 80% on time...and that’s using the LIRR’s metrics of on time being up to 5:59 late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island