Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 09:08 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicsos View Post
The passengers are scummier than the conductors.
As much as I love to bash the LIRR, because it's the worst, this is true. The passengers are a bunch of aholes. Conductors are just fine. Try dealing everyday with the idiots who ride the train every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 10:35 AM

149 posts, read 317,590 times
This is just a mean spirited post. Calling anyone who works every day a bottom feeder is terrible. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvres View Post
This is just a mean spirited post. Calling anyone who works every day a bottom feeder is terrible. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Nothing new here. It's what we do. We bash the union, bash cops, and bash teachers. It makes us feel good.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:09 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,912 times
That's the simple minded answer of course. The real answer is that we KNOW we're getting royally fleeced by the public sector unions. If the compensation were even remotely in proportion with the market (even expensive LI), there would be plenty less complaining. I love at my BBQ when the teachers are chatting until they realize there are 15 yr Queens teachers making $75k to teach 4th grade while their pal teaching in Bellmore w/ 10 yrs in makes $110k. Better benefits, too. Compare NYC cops to LI cops and the pay is insanely out of whack by any rational measure. No one is complaining about "cops and teachers." We complain about the IRRATIONAL compensation they get (like the LIRR car cleaner w/ a GED diploma making $125k). But everyone here already knows this, except you apparently.

Us: "well, they get paid oddly high compared to colleagues throughout the country."
You: "teacher basher! you hate the profession!"
Us: s.t.f.u.

A bit miss informed on NYC vs LI teachers, Not like this makes it better, a 15yr teacher in NYC is making 105k. not 75k. NYC has better benefits, my wife pays $0 per year we have $0 copays except if you go to hospital its $100, if admitted it's free or $100 if you have a kid. Dental and eye are also free. Dental visits have no copay. Plus the NYC has the fixed rate annuity 7 or 8.5% guaranteed per year max is what ever the fed sets the 401/403 cap at currently $19,500. Smart NYC teachers should have no less than 1.3m in the annuity. Plus RTA, if Bellmore cuts back your out a job, if NYC cuts back full salary to be a sub! NYC has city tax to fund the schools, we have property tax. With that said, I still am anti union and think the guaranteed pensions should end. I vote no every single year for my SD budget!

Old 04-16-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I vote no every single year for my SD budget!
How's that working out for you? It does NOTHING.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
How's that working out for you? It does NOTHING.
Yup, I still do it, my new district has a chance to fail since there is 3 55+ communities with about 1500 SFH and condos. The huge chunk of residents in 1-2m homes all vote yes and block there no votes.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:47 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,546 times
Quote:
That's the simple minded answer of course. The real answer is that we KNOW we're getting royally fleeced by the public sector unions. If the compensation were even remotely in proportion with the market (even expensive LI), there would be plenty less complaining. I love at my BBQ when the teachers are chatting until they realize there are 15 yr Queens teachers making $75k to teach 4th grade while their pal teaching in Bellmore w/ 10 yrs in makes $110k. Better benefits, too. Compare NYC cops to LI cops and the pay is insanely out of whack by any rational measure. No one is complaining about "cops and teachers." We complain about the IRRATIONAL compensation they get (like the LIRR car cleaner w/ a GED diploma making $125k). But everyone here already knows this, except you apparently.

Us: "well, they get paid oddly high compared to colleagues throughout the country."

A bit miss informed on NYC vs LI teachers, Not like this makes it better, a 15yr teacher in NYC is making 105k. not 75k. NYC has better benefits, my wife pays $0 per year we have $0 copays except if you go to hospital its $100, if admitted it's free or $100 if you have a kid. Dental and eye are also free. Dental visits have no copay. Plus the NYC has the fixed rate annuity 7 or 8.5% guaranteed per year max is what ever the fed sets the 401/403 cap at currently $19,500. Smart NYC teachers should have no less than 1.3m in the annuity. Plus RTA, if Bellmore cuts back your out a job, if NYC cuts back full salary to be a sub! NYC has city tax to fund the schools, we have property tax. With that said, I still am anti union and think the guaranteed pensions should end. I vote no every single year for my SD budget!

Voting no does nothing. Need a con-con to end the triborough amendment. Let them go on strike, then replace them all at more reasonable wages.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:30 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:

So you would have no problem at all with your wife not getting a pension?

Old 04-16-2019, 01:45 PM

I find it funny how jealous people are of others who get pensions.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
So you would have no problem at all with your wife not getting a pension?
I think its absurd, it's the current rules. They need to be fazed out. You can't tell someone after 15 years no more pension. Should be 403b not defined pension, OT and unused sick vacation day should not count towards the pension, it should be base salary. LI don't worry NYC Teachers have there own TRS separated from the rest of the state! That's another reason I prefer her city job. If NYC Teachers pensions fails we all know the state will pick up the slack. If the NYS teachers pensions fails no chance the city assists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: