Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,757 times

Advertisements

Hey guys i have been looking at a few houses in mineola for moving into with my family . Most of these houses have been near or close to jericho turnpike. I wanted to ask you guys on your opinion on how well we would fit it . The reason im asking is because i went to go look at a open house today and while we were leaving the neighbors next door didn't have a great expression on their face after seeing us walk out of the house. I just wanted to hear from any residents on your opinions. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 04:49 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Is there any reason that you are interested in Mineola? I am not sure, based upon your post if you are uncomfortable with the reaction and want advice to look elsewhere or what? The Herricks, New Hyde Park area is much more asian than Mineola. Mineola has a large Portuguese population and has for a gazillion years but there is an Indian population there. Another area to consider if you are looking to be more of the majority is Hicksville.

Check the demographics for the school districts.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:41 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Hicksville. It's heavily Indian. Like big time.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:03 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
What did you expect the neighbors to do - smile and wave? You’re being silly. Get out of your own head and think maybe they just got bad news, were on their way to chemo, a funeral/wake, or just simply couldn’t care less. Unless they were actively staring you down stop thinking about it.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:53 AM

983 posts, read 724,976 times
Mineola is pretty diversed I'd say.
You can come to my neighborhood. Love indian people. Unless you like shiny stainless steel stuff on the front of the house

Old 03-17-2019, 09:26 AM

7,928 posts, read 9,152,376 times
There is an Indian population in every town in Nassau. The question is do you want to be part of a diverse community with different nationalities or a more heavy Indian population?

Old 03-18-2019, 05:11 AM

151 posts, read 129,983 times
New Hyde Park and Garden City Park has lots of Indians.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:41 AM

629 posts, read 962,686 times
You'll fit in fine. Individual homeowners and their opinions good or bad exist everywhere. Mineola, itself may not have as big an Indian population, but there's plenty of towns in the surrounding area that do, so it won't be odd.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:16 PM

1,466 posts, read 758,507 times
Stay away from 1st and 2nd Avenue. Homeless population near LIRR causes a lot of issues. I know you said your looking near Jericho but just FYI.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:23 PM

12 posts, read 11,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singh92 View Post
Hey guys i have been looking at a few houses in mineola for moving into with my family . Most of these houses have been near or close to jericho turnpike. I wanted to ask you guys on your opinion on how well we would fit it . The reason im asking is because i went to go look at a open house today and while we were leaving the neighbors next door didn't have a great expression on their face after seeing us walk out of the house. I just wanted to hear from any residents on your opinions. Thanks
Hello! To answer your question honestly, yes they probably were staring you down. I grew up in Hicksville, NY and it was a lovely town. Then it seemed as if Queens moved into Nassau County. It is not that people are outright racist or biased, but rather when you grow up in a town and everything about it changes the original residents feel out of place, and it is sad to see things change.

For example, the fact that someone on here suggested Hicksville is made me feel sad. Not to be discriminatory, but it shows how the perception of Hicksville has changed to being "Little India" instead of just plain ol' Hicksville.

I recently attended 5th Grade graduation at a Hicksville Elementary school and all of the Indian students took up all of the scholar awards. So those people who looked down on you in Mineola, must not be aware of this sterotype: That most Indians come here with money and value education. How else could they afford to buy up all the homes in Hicksville and overcome the "sell to no indian" pact.?

So at the end of the day, as long as you go to work just like everyone else you will win over your neighbors. Take my cousins house in Hicksville for instance. At first it was "Oh no Indians" and then it was "ohh they are really nice."

If you want to fit in no matter what nationality you are: keep your grass mowed, don't keep your garbage cans out all day, close the windows when you cook, and don't play loud music after 8 on a school night.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island