Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 3,827 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently moved back to Long Island after quitting my high pressure corporate job to work at a very low paying job in a school district( clerical.). I’ve been living with my parents until I sell my old condo. I’m finally selling it and am now ready to buy. Since my take home pay is so low I don’t want to take on a mortgage. I can probably afford $260,000 cash and monthly housing expenses of $1,000.
I’m thinking of going the condo route because I’m a middle aged single female and not handy.
I’m open to all of Suffolk as long as long as it’s a safe area.
Can you recommend good condos in my price range? Also, I know I’m not handy but Rocky Point is safe and has very affordable houses. Most of them aren’t connected to sewers though and use oil. Does that mean a lot of unforeseen expenses?
I’m sorry if I rambled but I’m really just not sure where to start.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 03:00 PM

155 posts, read 174,345 times
Colonial Woods/Whispering Pines in Yaphank (right off the LIE at ex 68, next to the new complex that recently went up). Very safe, lots of different kinds of people (older, younger, single, families, etc). I lived there for a few years and was very happy. HOA fee was about $300, yearly taxes were about $4k (not sure what it would be now. This was about 7 years ago). Good luck on your search!

Old 04-21-2019, 03:51 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,402 times
Sounds like you made some really idiotic decisions.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:36 PM

622 posts, read 852,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Sounds like you made some really idiotic decisions.

This is a useful post....

Old 04-21-2019, 07:12 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,047,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackontheIsland9195 View Post
Also, I know I’m not handy but Rocky Point is safe and has very affordable houses. Most of them aren’t connected to sewers though and use oil. Does that mean a lot of unforeseen expenses?.
Much (possibly most) of Long Island housing is not connected to sewers. They are the exception rather than the rule, especially in Suffolk County unless the house is within the Southwest Sewer District.

I haven't seen any recent stats but I wouldn't be surprised if 50% or more of the houses on LI do still have oil heat. There are quite a few communities (or parts of same) that do not have gas lines in the street at all. Electric heat is too expensive here for whole-house use. So yes, there's a good chance that any given house will have oil heat. The main concern nowadays is that the oil tank is not buried in the ground.

A house in a sewered area won't have to worry about cesspool maintenance BUT there will be permanent financial costs, often in the form of extra items on your property tax bill. So sewers are not a free ride by any means.

People will argue till the cows come home about which is "better", "preferable", "smart", "stupid" re: the Great Oil Versus Gas Debate, so I won't touch that topic here. Hopefully your thread doesn't devolve into that argument to the exclusion of all else, LOL (it happens)

Expenses re: oil heat will depend in large part on the condition of the heating equipment and let's face it, the luck of the draw. Any mechanical appliance is prone to unexpected issues, and boilers/burners are no exception. They should get an annual tuneup/cleaning though, if you want to maintain it in the best way possible.

Having never lived or looked for a condo I cannot help you there, sorry, but wanted to at least answer the Sewers and Oil Heat questions.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:34 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,148,514 times
The Nob Hill Condos in Ronkonkoma seemlike a good fit for you. It's a well run complex, with some amenities (community pool, 2 tennis courts, gym and club house).
Yes, it has oil heat, but it's included in the monthly common charges. These condos are on sewers (as was previously mentioned, there is a charge for that, in this case quarterly).
When available, you can chose between 1-bedroom and 2-bedroom units. And they are pet friendly (dog or cat!).

There's a nicely updated 2-bedroom unit available right now

Old 04-22-2019, 05:52 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
This is a useful post....
Wasn't meant to be. Just stating the facts.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:06 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
My advice would be to leave LI. $260K + $1K a month will go very far elsewhere. If you earn little as a clerical worker it really doesn’t matter where.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:57 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,209,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
My advice would be to leave LI. $260K + $1K a month will go very far elsewhere. If you earn little as a clerical worker it really doesn’t matter where.
I agree with this. If you are in a low paying job, you might as well move to a low cost of living area

Old 04-22-2019, 09:14 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,529,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackontheIsland9195 View Post
Hello,

I recently moved back to Long Island after quitting my high pressure corporate job to work at a very low paying job in a school district( clerical.). I’ve been living with my parents until I sell my old condo. I’m finally selling it and am now ready to buy. Since my take home pay is so low I don’t want to take on a mortgage. I can probably afford $260,000 cash and monthly housing expenses of $1,000.
I’m thinking of going the condo route because I’m a middle aged single female and not handy.
I’m open to all of Suffolk as long as long as it’s a safe area.
Can you recommend good condos in my price range? Also, I know I’m not handy but Rocky Point is safe and has very affordable houses. Most of them aren’t connected to sewers though and use oil. Does that mean a lot of unforeseen expenses?
I’m sorry if I rambled but I’m really just not sure where to start.
Thanks in advance.
Woodgate Village in Holbrook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island