Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 10:16 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times

Advertisements

Actually lack of natural predators is the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 10:48 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post

Yep. Last wolf killed here back in the early 80's.

Unless the fox is very ambitious, red or grey won't touch the deer.

Maybe if we got bigfoot here?

Old 05-07-2019, 02:14 PM

983 posts, read 724,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Right. Natural predators for humans.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:17 PM

2,441 posts, read 1,217,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Right. Natural predators for humans.

You sound like you miss Joel Rifkin

Old 05-07-2019, 05:53 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
You can actually. If you are on private land and have a NY State Big Game license as long as:

that the load or arrow doesn't pass over any part of a public highway,
within 500 feet (for a firearm), 250 feet (for a crossbow) or 150 feet (for a longbow) of any school, playground, or an occupied factory or church

OR

within 500 feet (for a firearm), 250 feet (for a crossbow) or 150 feet (for a longbow) of a dwelling, farm building or structure in occupation or use unless you own it, lease it, are an immediate member of the family, an employee, or have the owner’s consent.

NYS law in Suffolk county.
Close, but no cigar.

The rules you reference are correct. I am pretty sure that there are some additional restricitons that apply to Long Island, but am too busy to look that up right now. Instead, I will mention the town restrictions that are in effect.

Just about all towns on Long Island prohibit projectile discharge (bow, rifle, shotgun, firearm... some even specify BB guns).

While you would be in compliance with DEC laws, you would still run afoul of local laws.

Also, while the rest of NY alllows crossbow hunting, it is prohibited in Suffolk County (I'm not aware of any place in Nassau where deer hunting is permitted with any implement).

Old 05-08-2019, 05:09 AM

345 posts, read 338,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Close, but no cigar.

The rules you reference are correct. I am pretty sure that there are some additional restricitons that apply to Long Island, but am too busy to look that up right now. Instead, I will mention the town restrictions that are in effect.

Just about all towns on Long Island prohibit projectile discharge (bow, rifle, shotgun, firearm... some even specify BB guns).

While you would be in compliance with DEC laws, you would still run afoul of local laws.

Also, while the rest of NY alllows crossbow hunting, it is prohibited in Suffolk County (I'm not aware of any place in Nassau where deer hunting is permitted with any implement).
I just copied that right off the DEC's site. Pretty sure Smithtown is the only town that has a weapon law that is more restrictive than the state's when it comes to hunting.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:39 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,852 times
Quote:
I just copied that right off the DEC's site. Pretty sure Smithtown is the only town that has a weapon law that is more restrictive than the state's when it comes to hunting.
Town of Babylon, Town of Huntington, and Town of Smithtown all prohibit discharge of any bow/gun/bb gun/etc. inside the town limits. This includes one's own property.

Town of Islip has a similar prohibition to cover public land. Town of Riverhead has noise ordinances that would make the use of guns impossible.

I'm too lazy to dig up more detail on these and other towns. I don't keep up on LI hunting when there are much better (less crowded) areas upstate.

What you copied off the DEC site is correct. My point is that it is not the only source of laws that cover the topic. There are discharge laws, noise laws and other impediments in the way. Long Island is NOT gun, bow, or hunting friendly.

I have personally been involved in situations that were 100% legal and also had a county permit in my hand for the activity. That didn't stop the local police from shutting the event down and threatening tp arrest participants.

You may have a valid hunting license and follow every DEC rule to the letter. Before you decide to "brandish" that weapon or take a shot at the deer in your backyard, just make sure you:

1. Have checked all local laws that may cover the activity

2. Hope your bambi loving neighbor doesn't drop a dime to say they felt threatened. It wouldn't be the first time some peta-type lied about where you were shooting or how close you were to their home.

3. Make sure your shot is perfectly placed for an instant takedown. Good luck getting owner's permission to track your deer across multiple properties/roads in suburbia. Even where legal, it just isn't very practical unless you have some acreage. I can just see someone in full camo holding a bow or shotgun and walking through backyards (or worse yet, county/town property). I'm sure nothing can go wrong with that scenario.

Is it theoretically possible to legally hunt on your own property in Suffolk? Sure, there are places where it is possible. In most of those cases it isn't practical or advisable. If that's your thing, then go for it. Just know that there is no one-size-fits-all answer on LI.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:19 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
You can actually. If you are on private land and have a NY State Big Game license as long as:

that the load or arrow doesn't pass over any part of a public highway,
within 500 feet (for a firearm), 250 feet (for a crossbow) or 150 feet (for a longbow) of any school, playground, or an occupied factory or church

OR

within 500 feet (for a firearm), 250 feet (for a crossbow) or 150 feet (for a longbow) of a dwelling, farm building or structure in occupation or use unless you own it, lease it, are an immediate member of the family, an employee, or have the owner’s consent.

NYS law in Suffolk county.
You got me on a technicality. In *my* situation, I can not as some of my abutting neighbors homes are less than 150' from my property lines.

I do know a guy over in Setauket who took a deer in his own yard as he did meet the parameters you so kindly shared

Old 05-08-2019, 01:22 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Town of Babylon, Town of Huntington, and Town of Smithtown all prohibit discharge of any bow/gun/bb gun/etc. inside the town limits. This includes one's own property.

Town of Islip has a similar prohibition to cover public land. Town of Riverhead has noise ordinances that would make the use of guns impossible.

I'm too lazy to dig up more detail on these and other towns. I don't keep up on LI hunting when there are much better (less crowded) areas upstate.

What you copied off the DEC site is correct. My point is that it is not the only source of laws that cover the topic. There are discharge laws, noise laws and other impediments in the way. Long Island is NOT gun, bow, or hunting friendly.

I have personally been involved in situations that were 100% legal and also had a county permit in my hand for the activity. That didn't stop the local police from shutting the event down and threatening tp arrest participants.

You may have a valid hunting license and follow every DEC rule to the letter. Before you decide to "brandish" that weapon or take a shot at the deer in your backyard, just make sure you:

1. Have checked all local laws that may cover the activity

2. Hope your bambi loving neighbor doesn't drop a dime to say they felt threatened. It wouldn't be the first time some peta-type lied about where you were shooting or how close you were to their home.

3. Make sure your shot is perfectly placed for an instant takedown. Good luck getting owner's permission to track your deer across multiple properties/roads in suburbia. Even where legal, it just isn't very practical unless you have some acreage. I can just see someone in full camo holding a bow or shotgun and walking through backyards (or worse yet, county/town property). I'm sure nothing can go wrong with that scenario.

Is it theoretically possible to legally hunt on your own property in Suffolk? Sure, there are places where it is possible. In most of those cases it isn't practical or advisable. If that's your thing, then go for it. Just know that there is no one-size-fits-all answer on LI.
mm3846 responded with the laws to me. In my area (Stony Brook, Town of Brookhaven) one can take a deer on their land provided they meet the criteria.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:47 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Can't be too strict in Town of Brookhaven. I hear shots going off all the time. Then again, this is Mastic Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island