Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 05:51 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times

Advertisements

Bottom line. Blame the Unions & Politicians.
Good for the officer making 200k
Don’t blame them! They got the Golden Ticket.
Keep voting these hacks in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 06:25 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
Yeah, you wish it was that easy. Even when I was graduating from high school nearly 40 years ago, unless your father or grandfather was an SCPD cop, you weren't getting in. The other way in was to take the test for NYPD, gain 5 years doing real police work and then apply for SCPD.

These days, most of my kids' classmates who had lacrosse scholarships, flunked out of college and came back to LI only to take the 'test.' Let's just say a career with SCPD is extremely sought after as it's the best paying job these kids can find in Suffolk.
Spot on post...and the ones on scholarships who leave and don't flunk out of college, don't come back to LI at all.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:13 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
Yeah, you wish it was that easy. Even when I was graduating from high school nearly 40 years ago, unless your father or grandfather was an SCPD cop, you weren't getting in. The other way in was to take the test for NYPD, gain 5 years doing real police work and then apply for SCPD.

These days, most of my kids' classmates who had lacrosse scholarships, flunked out of college and came back to LI only to take the 'test.' Let's just say a career with SCPD is extremely sought after as it's the best paying job these kids can find in Suffolk.
Spot on. The idea that "high performers" are in the ranks of the SCPD is a joke. Every guy I know on the force was doing contracting work or retail/food service prior. These were not people who were going to be Business VPs on Wall St or doctors. Yet they are getting paid as such (all in full comp).

Also, there is still nepotism going on. There are still gatekeepers somewhere in the system. Look at the SCPD guy who had 10 beers and killed someone driving drunk a few years back..his dad was a cop. You think this guy was some police test genius or something? The whole dept should have been dissolved after the Burke fiasco, and members absorbed into the Sheriffs, all brass removed. Only an organization rotten at the core could produce leadership like that.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:06 PM

852 posts, read 1,442,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
75k? NYPD makes like 90. You can go plenty of other states and easily make 75k as a cop. Would people still apply? Sure. Would it be the crazy amounts that we have now? Not even close.
"Easily," you say. And yet even the applicants who don't make the cut stay here on Long Island... go figure! You'd think they'd all go to those "other" states and easily get those police jobs paying 75k.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:02 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
"Easily," you say. And yet even the applicants who don't make the cut stay here on Long Island... go figure! You'd think they'd all go to those "other" states and easily get those police jobs paying 75k.
How do you know they all stay here? Do you know each and every applicant personally? Didn’t think so.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
75k? NYPD makes like 90. You can go plenty of other states and easily make 75k as a cop. Would people still apply? Sure. Would it be the crazy amounts that we have now? Not even close.
So they'll only be 15,000 instead of 20,000 applicants?! Fact is, if NYPD pays $90k, then I'd say $75k for SCPD is reasonable. Particularly with the benefits. There likely would be no shortage of qualified applicants at $75k. 1000's of them.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
So they'll only be 15,000 instead of 20,000 applicants?! Fact is, if NYPD pays $90k, then I'd say $75k for SCPD is reasonable. Particularly with the benefits. There likely would be no shortage of qualified applicants at $75k. 1000's of them.
I think you’d be surprised how much the numbers would drop. 75k here is crap.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I think you’d be surprised how much the numbers would drop. 75k here is crap.
So I hear. Except I know a number of downsized 50 somethings who made 6 figures who would beg to differ. Finding something on LI for over $60k is a challenge. Try an indeed search. Keep it to 15 miles to avoid Queens and Manhattan. Watch the $30k jobs roll across the screen.

I don't buy this job hype smoke they are blowin up azzes for a minute. Wages are dead. LI industry continues to shed management level jobs, beg for tax handouts or relocates. WARN notices almost every day in Newsday. No new business, just IDA's continuing the corporate welfare. We couldn't even give Amazon a good enough rub n tug to keep them here.

$75k for a cop w/ 60 college credits plus lifetime benefits? 10,000+ applicants easy. Drive by a HS on a civil service exam saturday morning. 1000's waiting in the rain to take an exam (PAYING to take an exam) for an account clerk job that pays $28k to start. It's the benefits. Medical, medical, medical. Pension. Salary barely matters when you have no medical insurance and if you're over 50 and you think you're moving up from that career position to a better situation on Long Island. Think again.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
So I hear. Except I know a number of downsized 50 somethings who made 6 figures who would beg to differ. Finding something on LI for over $60k is a challenge. Try an indeed search. Keep it to 15 miles to avoid Queens and Manhattan. Watch the $30k jobs roll across the screen.

I don't buy this job hype smoke they are blowin up azzes for a minute. Wages are dead. LI industry continues to shed management level jobs, beg for tax handouts or relocates. WARN notices almost every day in Newsday. No new business, just IDA's continuing the corporate welfare. We couldn't even give Amazon a good enough rub n tug to keep them here.

$75k for a cop w/ 60 college credits plus lifetime benefits? 10,000+ applicants easy. Drive by a HS on a civil service exam saturday morning. 1000's waiting in the rain to take an exam (PAYING to take an exam) for an account clerk job that pays $28k to start. It's the benefits. Medical, medical, medical. Pension. Salary barely matters when you have no medical insurance and if you're over 50 and you think you're moving up from that career position to a better situation on Long Island. Think again.
Than explain to me why for years the NYPD had major recruiting issues before their pay was majorly boosted (starting pay was something like 22k). They even started allowing class e felony exceptions and offered weekly walk in exams to help get numbers. This is the same NYPD that holds the record for most to take a civil service exam (nope it’s not Suffolk or Nassau) it was a coveted gig at one time. Even with the low pay though NYPD still had benefits, pension etc. but wasn’t enough until they agreed to a higher pay scale. Now I’m
Not saying no one would apply for Suffolk with that low salary but 10k +? No way.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:22 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times
I hate to say it, but when the NYPD starting salary was $25,100/year, they still had no shortage of applicants. Some people just want to be cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: