Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 11:59 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Most people rather drive shorter distances though.
wow, you think?

Regardless, in many cases we're talking a a difference of one person driving 5 mins and one person driving 10.

And of course, there are parts of West Babylon/West Islip the same distance to downtown Babylon than parts of Babylon.....and there's parts of Oceanside that are closer to RVC than parts of RVC...etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 12:14 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
wow, you think?

Regardless, in many cases we're talking a a difference of one person driving 5 mins and one person driving 10.

And of course, there are parts of West Babylon/West Islip the same distance to downtown Babylon than parts of Babylon.....and there's parts of Oceanside that are closer to RVC than parts of RVC...etc.
10 minutes takes twice as long as 5 minutes.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
10 minutes takes twice as long as 5 minutes.
Interesting point. I hadn't considered that.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:30 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,592 times
I would love to ride my bike to grab a bite to eat or walk a little "downtown" on a random Friday/Saturday night when I have no plans. That's the difference to me - getting in a car is just different than taking a stroll or riding a bike.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Interesting point. I hadn't considered that.
You're welcome. And that same bike ride might be triple the time, and the walk quadruple it. Walkers are best off in the city.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
You're welcome. And that same bike ride might be triple the time, and the walk quadruple it. Walkers are best off in the city.
or maybe just not in Mastic. After all, it's not safe.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
or maybe just not in Mastic. After all, it's not safe.
The Mastics probably has more walkers than anywhere else on the island. There is nothing boring about the Mastics. Least boring area on Long Island.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:04 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,340 times
To the OP - just to clarify, Commack is about a 30 minute drive to Huntington Village - not 15. Whether this makes a difference to you, I don't know. That amount of time did make a difference to someone from Commack who refused to drive over to my area on a weekly basis.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:50 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
To the OP - just to clarify, Commack is about a 30 minute drive to Huntington Village - not 15.
Depends on the time of day and the route. I make the drive from the intersection of Jericho Turnpike and Commack Road to my dentist's office several times a year and it takes me 20 minutes door to door in the early afternoon on a weekday.

Route: Commack Road north (becomes Town Line Road), then west on Burr Road to Cuba Hill Road which goes west and then northwest and finally north as it crosses Pulaski and becomes Greenlawn Road that dead-ends onto 25A at the east end of Huntington Village. From there I go about 2 1/2 miles north on Huntington Bay Road to the dentist's office. If memory serves, there are six traffic lights on that route (Jericho/Commack Rd; Town Line/Burr; Burr/Elwood Rd; Cuba Hill/Little Plains Rd; Greenlawn/Pulaski; and Greenlawn/25A) and all the rest are stopsign-stops.

Google Maps has it as a 19 minute drive from the Commack intersection to 25A in Huntington using my route so that's pretty much dead on. The main risk is getting stuck behind a school bus, LOL

If driving from a more westerly park of Commack (for example, from Jericho & Larkfield) it could definitely be a 15 minute drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island