Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:36 AM

85 posts, read 395,543 times

Advertisements

We live in a co-op in Little Neck called deepdale. It is a very good area to live and a 2 bedroom would cost about 225K - 250K. They also have no mortgage and you own the place 100% no flip tax. A flip tax is where upon selling your co-op the board gets a %, but not here, even though they talk about it. We have a great school district, very safe, close to the highways but not too close and you can have a cat, but no dogs allowed. It seems like this could b a good fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 08:13 AM

7 posts, read 7,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesst81 View Post
... I am open to suggestion of other areas as well maybe like Long Beach (the good side)...
any1 know what the op is talking about the good side for long beach? i though all area on long beach is a good side? correct me if im wrong? if good side, where? north, south, east or west?

Old 04-14-2008, 08:57 AM

28 posts, read 57,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by all mixed up View Post
We live in a co-op in Little Neck called deepdale. It is a very good area to live and a 2 bedroom would cost about 225K - 250K. They also have no mortgage and you own the place 100% no flip tax. A flip tax is where upon selling your co-op the board gets a %, but not here, even though they talk about it. We have a great school district, very safe, close to the highways but not too close and you can have a cat, but no dogs allowed. It seems like this could b a good fit.
Hi all mixed up,

I have been doing research on coops since the suggestion was given to me yesterday. This may seem like a good choice for me and well within my price range. I have been looking at the glen oaks complex and it seems really nice. I even drove passed it last night after work and was very pleased. I am going to look up the deepdale complex now. I was so dead set on living on the island but seems as though I can find what I am looking for in queens and still be very close to the island.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim&mike2gether3eva View Post
any1 know what the op is talking about the good side for long beach? i though all area on long beach is a good side? correct me if im wrong? if good side, where? north, south, east or west?
Hi Jim&Mike,

I didnt mean to offend anyone with what I said. When I was sightseeing in LI the other day, I wound up somewhere in Long Beach that didnt look desirable. I think the street was East Fulton.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:15 AM

11 posts, read 59,602 times
Smile The market

Hi Princess,
Do you have to move right now. If not I would wait out the market a little. "They" keep saying we haven't seen the bottom yet. I grew up in Merrick and now live in West. Suffolk. For your condo/co-op, Long Beach is probably not an option with your price range, good for singles. I would move there too, if i could afford it. I would try Westbury, East Meadow, North Bellmore areas. Taxes are crazy high in Nassau. I was paying 665/month for tax and maintence a few years ago on a townhouse in Merrick. Also, I have no idea about the prices but Port Washington is supposed to be a nice area. My single friend who is 31 likes it there. Good Luck, Hope I helped.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxsky View Post
Hi Princess,
Do you have to move right now. If not I would wait out the market a little. "They" keep saying we haven't seen the bottom yet. I grew up in Merrick and now live in West. Suffolk. For your condo/co-op, Long Beach is probably not an option with your price range, good for singles. I would move there too, if i could afford it. I would try Westbury, East Meadow, North Bellmore areas. Taxes are crazy high in Nassau. I was paying 665/month for tax and maintence a few years ago on a townhouse in Merrick. Also, I have no idea about the prices but Port Washington is supposed to be a nice area. My single friend who is 31 likes it there. Good Luck, Hope I helped.
Thanks Jax and no I do not have to move right now but I dont want to keep wasting money on renting. I am not going to rush this process. I am going to take my time and research research research. This site is a big help with that though.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:13 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,667 times
IMHO there are only a few desireable places to own a co-op in nassau. Its not to say that the areas are bad, they're not, but the resale value and appreciation isn't there.

The main "good" areas for Co-ops on LI are Great Neck and Long Beach.

Wantagh, bellmore, and merrick have some co-ops, but I don't think anyone would say they appreciate hugely.

The only other area I can think of in nassau with some co-ops is rockville center which is a nice area, I know very little about the Coops there.

Queens is another good opiotn, there are nice areas with a lot of Coops that are reasonbly priced.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:14 PM

85 posts, read 395,543 times
The Deepdale complex is right up the road from Glan oaks, which is also nice. There is even a farm across the street from the Glen oaks complex. That's right a farm in Queens, lol. Good luck in your search, we like living here.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,102 times
I own a house now in queens and would love to buy a condo on LI but cannot afford it. It would acutally cost me more than my house. Between the taxes, utility costs and cost of gas commuting from out in the island, it would not be practical. Even though there is more congestion here in queens, it really is cheaper.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:22 AM

146 posts, read 840,548 times
Default NE Queens Is the Place to Be

I have spent the past five years living in Douglaston and absolutely love it. I too work in Garden City and get to work in about 25 minutes without any traffic. Plus, you're steps from the LIRR, great shops, parks, water, all highways, etc.

A one bedroom will run you between $200- $250. Some of the buildings accept 10% down. With the average maintenance of $700 a month and the current interest rates - you can expect to pay around $1600 a month to own. I understand they are only "shares" and that the board can slow things up, but that's the trade off. It's quiet and safe - just the parking is a bit rough.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island