Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 08:13 AM

87 posts, read 97,868 times

Advertisements

Finding contractors is not easy and as pp said, they are all too busy.

We are doing a small renovation of under 10k right now and come spring have a large job. 5 never returned calls and 3 came and never followed up with estimates.

I did find most on Facebook. Usually in local town groups people put of finished photos of their completed renovations and list the contractor. I also found some on FB review groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 01:36 PM

13 posts, read 14,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
Contracting work tends to be more expensive than you think. It’s never close to as cheap as HGTV makes it seem, especially in the tri-State area
Just found that out after getting 2 estimates, just for the main floor so far...

55k (without materials)
81k (with materials)

I may end up doing some of the labor myself, like demoing bathroom and kitchen.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:55 PM

150 posts, read 108,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kru2oo1 View Post
Just found that out after getting 2 estimates, just for the main floor so far...

55k (without materials)
81k (with materials)

I may end up doing some of the labor myself, like demoing bathroom and kitchen.
Damn we long islanders are suckers. Friggin 81k for a new bath and kitchen. Good luck with the projects.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:39 PM

12 posts, read 13,094 times
im in the process of doing a total gut and reno, adding a full second fl and extension to a cape in NHP. it takes a lot, both time and money. but with that said, if you are just doing kitchen and bath, it should cost less than $81k, for perspective that would be almost 1/5 of my cost! DM me if you are still looking for a contractor.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildmyhouse View Post
im in the process of doing a total gut and reno, adding a full second fl and extension to a cape in NHP. it takes a lot, both time and money. but with that said, if you are just doing kitchen and bath, it should cost less than $81k, for perspective that would be almost 1/5 of my cost! DM me if you are still looking for a contractor.
400k+ and you want to recommend your contractor? You must need that 10% commission to offset.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:05 AM

12 posts, read 13,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhHell View Post
400k+ and you want to recommend your contractor? You must need that 10% commission to offset.
hey, if you know someone that comes highly recommended and can do a full remodel, extension (with full basement) and new second fl for less than $190/sqft in Nassau, ill take that guys number to finish my house.

I was just providing a point of reference for OP that 81k for 2 rooms is a lot in comparison.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildmyhouse View Post
hey, if you know someone that comes highly recommended and can do a full remodel, extension (with full basement) and new second fl for less than $190/sqft in Nassau, ill take that guys number to finish my house.

I was just providing a point of reference for OP that 81k for 2 rooms is a lot in comparison.
That’s just it. These contractors think they can rape us cause we’re ‘in nassau’. FYI, Suffolk contractors are no better.

Personally, yes, I can get it done for less. A lot less. But I don’t hire GCs.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:30 PM

397 posts, read 509,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhHell View Post
That’s just it. These contractors think they can rape us cause we’re ‘in nassau’. FYI, Suffolk contractors are no better.

Personally, yes, I can get it done for less. A lot less. But I don’t hire GCs.

Ouch...

People hire GC's so they dont have to deal with business end of building. It's not as simple as calling in a few guys to build stuff. But you wont listen, and you'll just keep on anonymously ranting about contractors on a public forum... Carry on...

Old 08-29-2019, 09:42 PM

295 posts, read 127,562 times
I just finished my reno recently and I can't say enough good words about Micron Restorations. John was amazing. I was got 3 quotes for Kitchen, Master bath, upstairs laundry.

1st guy : 105k with basic materials
2nd guy : 66k labor only
Micron : ~ 50k for labor, including extras like painting 3/4 of the house, 20 high hats and moldings and misc stuff I wanted done.

He is a very busy guy. He generally focuses on knock downs and rebuilds, so I caught him at the right time. He had 7 going while he was doing my house in the New Hyde Park area. Which is also why it took 8 weeks vs the 5/6 that was originally agreed upon. Regardless, it was well worth it. He doesn't subcontract. All his guys work under him - plumber, electrician, siding, drywall and ect. This was in the town of North Hempstead.

Tell him Simon recommended him.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:07 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,019,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
Contracting work tends to be more expensive than you think. It’s never close to as cheap as HGTV makes it seem, especially in the tri-State area
Tell me about it, those HGTV "costs" always make me wonder what planet they are on.

I agree about lead times being long. Combine that with backordered materials (when I did a bathroom last year, Kohler was 7 weeks backordered on several things I wanted and even Blackman had to wait for the Toto toilet....AND when it was delivered, it turned out they'd sent me the wrong height base!) and you can be looking at a couple months before work even starts.

Murphy's Law......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island