Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2019, 05:09 PM

61 posts, read 98,763 times

Advertisements

Need to refinish (stain and finish) hard wood floor of my living room and some steps. Anyone done it recently? What price per sqft/step might I expect? Also, will be glad to get some recommendations. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 07:42 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times
We had one 14x21 room done (stripped, one section replaced due to water damage, and refinished; no stain) about five years ago and the best price we could get was $600 (for cash.) A lot of the companies we called didn't want to bother doing just one room/area, by the way.

Gabe's Hardwood Flooring (631) 395-0656

Moderator cut: sorry . I had to remove your consumer complaint. I am sure it's true, but City-data cannot allow
these kinds of posts because the company is not able to defend themselves .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-23-2021 at 11:16 AM..

Old 05-24-2019, 09:24 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times
Just to add: The replaced section in the $600 room was small, only about 2 ft x 4 ft at most. Not a big deal.

The price was for stripping, sealing, and two coats of water-based poly. After it dried we could see a few small patches where the second coat was applied a lilttle too thin, and the guy came back and put an extra coat on the entire floor so in effect it has three coats.

If the room received heavy traffic (which it doesn't at all) I'd have gone for a Swedish finish instead, which is much more durable and doesn't yellow over time.

We tried to get Aliperti to do the Swedish finish in our previous house and they first argued against it (it's more of a PITA to apply and is the nastiest in terms of odor and VOCs) and then finally quoted an outrageous price that they knew we wouldn't be willing to pay. In retrospect I'm glad because they probably would have done an even worse job with that.

Swedish finish isn't practical for a house that's already being lived in, because of the VOCs, btw. You'd need to live elsewhere for at least several days because it stinks to high heaven. It's fine for new construction or not-yet-moved-in though.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 05-24-2019 at 09:49 AM..

Old 03-23-2021, 11:12 AM

61 posts, read 98,763 times
Need to get my hardwood floor re-stained and refinished. Anyone done it lately? Any recommendations?

Old 03-24-2021, 09:56 AM

35 posts, read 22,115 times
I have had quotes around 2-2.50 per square foot. i think they try to upsell special sealers on top of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island