Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 08:22 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times

Advertisements

I was in Bay Shore today, south of Montauk Highway on Lawrence Lane near Cove Walk. For a two or three block area there were some magnificent looking trees, probably a few dozen, which look like they've probably been there for close to a hundred years when the area was first developed and most are along the roadway. They can be seen pretty easily on streetside views from mapping sites.

They had very gnarly or bumpy or burly trunks which had fairly smooth bark that was a light rust color. They appeared to be a little shorter than the oaks in the area and were rather sparse as far as their leaf canopy, maybe because they're old, maybe it's still too early in the season. I don't believe I've ever seen this type of tree on Long Island before so I'm pretty sure they're not native to the area.

Who knows what they are and the story behind their existence here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 09:27 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Photo would help, both of the trees and some leaves.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:40 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I won't be going back to take pictures. If someone from the area sees this they'll probably know due to the uniqueness.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:33 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
If you go on google street view you can see them. iDK what they are though.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:09 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,604,262 times
American Sycamore?

Old 05-29-2019, 07:27 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
American Sycamore?
Did you just assume the nationality of those trees? You should be ashamed of yourself.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:54 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
https://goo.gl/maps/WwyEjb87ocwaMnVM8

Hard to make out the leaves.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:54 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,242 times
That part of Bay Shore was once part of the Francis Lawrence estate during the mid 1800s so yes those trees are really old. There's actually two parallel lines of them: one on Lawrence Lane and an almost-matching line on West Lane. I believe, though I can't recall where I saw/heard it, that those once lined the approach to the main house. The width of the drive was essentially equal to the length of Cove Walk.

Very old trees, especially in areas prone to high wind stress, can get gnarled trunks like these over time. Very old oaks do this, especially if they have been "topped" at some time during their lives. But I'm guessing you ruled out oaks because you would have recognized the leaf shape? If so, sycamore is a possibility.

The Bay Shore Historical Society would probably know for sure though:

Bay Shore Historical Society

Old 05-29-2019, 07:57 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
https://goo.gl/maps/WwyEjb87ocwaMnVM8

Hard to make out the leaves.

They look lobed to me. Hard to tell because of the pic fuzziness. That general shape could match with sycamore from a distance, although sycamore lobes are a little less separated (more of a fan shape) than these appear to be.

ETA: I got a better shot at the leaves by panning and looking at a different tree. Those leaves do look very much like sycamore. Definitely not oak. And the tree bark appears to have peeling with gray underneath which would also match up with sycamore.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:37 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
They look lobed to me. Hard to tell because of the pic fuzziness. That general shape could match with sycamore from a distance, although sycamore lobes are a little less separated (more of a fan shape) than these appear to be.

ETA: I got a better shot at the leaves by panning and looking at a different tree. Those leaves do look very much like sycamore. Definitely not oak. And the tree bark appears to have peeling with gray underneath which would also match up with sycamore.
I do believe you're right!

I found this picture when I googled sycamore tree bark.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/garibaldi/152632467/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island