Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 08:05 AM

35 posts, read 50,609 times

Advertisements

hello, we are looking to move to Long Island and start a new family.
Baldwin seems to have the most affordable house price while having decent school.
is this a good area? is it safe? is it diverse?
we are looking for some multi family, is it easy to get a good tenant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 06:45 PM

19,583 posts, read 20,395,815 times
Certain areas are nice. Some not so nice.
Schools are ok. Town of Hempstead doesn't like 2 family homes so make sure any of the ones you look at are legit. Ask to see permits.
Tenants are a crapshoot.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:22 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,262,887 times
Tenants are crapshoot, yup, no matter what area. IMO, I don't care if you're Mother Theresa, no stranger is living in my house! LOL but some people luck out and it works great.

I find people tend to not care as much about homes they rent as opposed to homes they own. Like, people who own a home will take better care of it.

Baldwin is fine. It's diverse. Decent schools. Good commute to NYC.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:37 PM

Almost forgot...flooding. south Baldwin got hammered by Sandy. So factor flood insurance into your budget if you are shopping south.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Almost forgot...flooding. south Baldwin got hammered by Sandy. So factor flood insurance into your budget if you are shopping south.
Yes. South is the nicer part though.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:23 AM

91,954 posts, read 122,044,192 times
What happened with this situation?: //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...l#post52805527

Old 06-06-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Yes. South is the nicer part though.
True. The backside of RVC up north is ok too.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:20 PM

47 posts, read 40,189 times
RVC or Oceanside schools

Old 06-25-2019, 02:12 PM

28 posts, read 21,499 times
Baldwin is awesome, its one of the best bang for the buck areas on the South Shore. I agree with what the general consensus is - stay south of sunrise for what you are asking. North Baldwin is a little rough, although its got some good pockets on the north side - anything near grand avenue is going to be an eye sore for you and your guests.

I hope Grand Avenue changes - but its been that way for decades.

South of Sunrise is a completely different experience, large property sizes (for the south shore) ranging from 7500 sq ft -.25 acres. 95% of houses are well kept, no loitering - new Police Dept right on Merrick (#1) - Fire Dept. right around the corner.

Keep in mind that 80s babies are now moving into this area and starting families, which means you have tons of College Educated professionals moving to Baldwin because its affordable, I myself included.

My block is so mixed, it reminds me of my old neighborhood in Queens. My neighbors on one side are Irish, the other side African American - Across the street - West Indian, next to them Chinese (been there for 67 Years) - the entire block has this makeup. Everyone is around the same age group and has kids - Everyone looks out for each other and there is no animosity.

Property values are rising as well - as is all of NY, but I have a feeling in the years to come, Baldwin will develop a better reputation as waves of professionals from all around NY are moving here - its happening now, so don't buy into some of the Old Timers on here abhorrent to change.

good luck to you!

Old 06-25-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthesecrets View Post
Baldwin is awesome, its one of the best bang for the buck areas on the South Shore. I agree with what the general consensus is - stay south of sunrise for what you are asking. North Baldwin is a little rough, although its got some good pockets on the north side - anything near grand avenue is going to be an eye sore for you and your guests.

I hope Grand Avenue changes - but its been that way for decades.

South of Sunrise is a completely different experience, large property sizes (for the south shore) ranging from 7500 sq ft -.25 acres. 95% of houses are well kept, no loitering - new Police Dept right on Merrick (#1) - Fire Dept. right around the corner.

Keep in mind that 80s babies are now moving into this area and starting families, which means you have tons of College Educated professionals moving to Baldwin because its affordable, I myself included.

My block is so mixed, it reminds me of my old neighborhood in Queens. My neighbors on one side are Irish, the other side African American - Across the street - West Indian, next to them Chinese (been there for 67 Years) - the entire block has this makeup. Everyone is around the same age group and has kids - Everyone looks out for each other and there is no animosity.

Property values are rising as well - as is all of NY, but I have a feeling in the years to come, Baldwin will develop a better reputation as waves of professionals from all around NY are moving here - its happening now, so don't buy into some of the Old Timers on here abhorrent to change.

good luck to you!
With the road diet that is happening, I doubt Grand Ave will see an improvement. North Baldwin has some charming homes, but Grand Avenue is such an eyesore, I agree. I suppose a bit inward away from it is ok but I would definitely look south.

Why has Grand Ave been so bad for so long?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island