Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2019, 05:16 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times

Advertisements

So, living in Delaware Harriet Tubman is quite popular given her connections to Maryland and Delaware. She had a part in the underground railway which brought to my mind the MMI. I googled it and have not been able to find a lot of details other than something shady went down and it is now a Scotto Brothers restaurant, One North.

Last I knew it had been declared a landmark and generally that means everything as much as feasible has to be preserved and period materials are used in the restoration. From what I see in pictures, it does not bear more than a casual resemblance to the old MMI. What about the historical documentation? We moved as it was declared a landmark and I am stunned at what it became. That said, maybe it is more restored than I think.

I recall the McDonald's in New Hyde Park on Jericho Turnpike, was also landmarked and the owner worked with the locals to preserve it. He did a nice job on what was the Denton House. There was a lot of negotiating with that one as a friend lived behind it and I know how diligent they were with the owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 10:49 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
The exterior of the the building is exactly the same shape. No old additions were removed and none added.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...atus-1.3719969

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7948...7i13312!8i6656

According to that article, it's received a town landmark designation. Has it also been recognized by the state or on the National Register of Historic Places list? That may have made a difference in what they were allowed to do.

Also, bear in mind that that is a photo of one room. There may be original or very old woodwork, doors, and beams in other parts of the building. There may be an old fireplace lurking behind that tile.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:02 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
The Town of Oyster Bay must have been paid off by someone. I know the place fairly well having been to a ton of affairs there before it was shuttered. When you alter a landmark building there are parameters that need to be followed and they committee are usually very particular about preserving the details as much as is possible. It was in disrepair for certain and I am sure that played into it, but the alterations I see in that picture are beyond my wildest imagination that it was done in accordance with the normal prerequisites of the committee. I had a family member who purchased a landmark home and it was torturous to remodel within the parameters they set.

Wondering if there are commemorative plaques in the place. Based upon that one picture, it seems like the interior is ultra modern which is a far cry from the original.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island