Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 04:55 PM

259 posts, read 174,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
It's way too much money to pay for a teacher who teaches 4 hours a day, for 180 days a year. Bottom line, for the amount of time they teach (and a lot of teachers are terrible) and put into the job, they're worth about half of what they make. Certainly no more than that. Masters degrees or not - and those master degrees are required for them to keep their tenured jobs. So yes, the great majority of teachers have masters because they're required. A lot of those master degrees are a masters in nothing much - you can get a masters in nothing particular at Stony Brook just as long as you get enough grad credits that add up to a masters. They can take a one-credit course per semester in Chorale where all they have to do is show up open their mouths and sing. That's 4 credits over 4 semesters for a lot of nothing.

Just sayin'.
If you think teachers only work 4 hours a day then don't know any teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 05:04 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
So if anything pay is higher?
For teachers from what I see yes.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:09 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbathunter View Post
How much do you think she deserves to be paid?
You are asking my opinion? Some amount under $100,000. She hasn't advanced through the ranks and become a principal or administrator. She is a teacher like she has been for decades. If I was an accountant earning $50,000 some thirty years ago and was still in the same job, had not been promoted, had not become part of management, but was still doing the same accounting job I did in 1989, I should expect to be paid the same rate adjusted for inflation. That would put my salary close to $100,000. However in the non-academic world a person wouldn't last 30 years as an accountant without being promoted. Either the person would take on more responsibilities or be pushed out.

Salary.com says "The average Public School Teacher salary in New York is $61,091 as of May 31, 2019, but the range typically falls between $53,335 and $70,528." Even if you adjust for location and tenure, a $61,000 job is not worth $160,000 just because the person did it for 30 years instead of 10.

https://www.salary.com/research/sala...cher-salary/ny

Old 06-12-2019, 03:43 AM

731 posts, read 724,718 times
Quote:
SHHHHHH.....let them continue their teacher salary whining. in a few days it'll switch back to police pay, optimum vs Fios , landscaper noise or the dreaded planes in the sky over the homes they bought near an airport.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:29 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,036,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkItUp View Post
SHHHHHH.....let them continue their teacher salary whining. in a few days it'll switch back to police pay, optimum vs Fios , landscaper noise or the dreaded planes in the sky over the homes they bought near an airport.
Lol! Lock this thread right here. ☝🏻

Old 06-12-2019, 06:32 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,145 times
Once again OP vents but never listens to the issues. It's not the budget, its the CONTRACTS!!

Here in a nutshell is the problem. Look at Wyandanch in Newsday today. If you read closely the old board was cited as not providing enough fiscal oversight. The NEW board president is an assistant HS principal somewhere else!! Kind of the fox guarding the hen house, no?! Is an Asst Principal going to be effective leading negotiations vs the teacher's union? Or maybe should the community think about electing a board president who knows something about finance, budgets, bonding, etc, and has maybe negotiated large contracts with labor before. Or at least something aspiring to that?! Ya think?!

Do people understand the board trustees they vote in immediately manage their school budget, in my case $130,000,000 dollars (that's MILLION). If you elect a former elementary school librarian and an 18 yr old student with political ambitions, remember they will be going up against law firms who have been kicking school board asses in negotiations for 75 years! No one cares. No one votes. "ya get what you get so don't get upset." It starts with the board. They hire the supt. Together they negotiate collective bargaining agreements. That's where it starts.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:31 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
How much do you think she deserves to be paid?
Here's the thing. We are the ones paying their salaries as a whole. We are not some for-profit company producing products for willing customers who in turn support the ongoing costs. It works differently when we HAVE TO pay into it collectively. What they deserve is irrelevant to why we are disgusted every time we pay our taxes.

But since you wanted to know, I'll put it this way. They DO NOT deserve to be paid 3-4x the going rate of other areas of the country doing the same job. That's how out of control these people are. Considering everything, I would max out their pay at 80k without reservation, as well as shave their benefit and pension levels. And still there would be a line out the door who'd want the job AND have the same qualifications. Ask any existing teacher if they would do the job for $80k and anyone who'd say no because they expect more is out of touch with the working world. $150k school teachers are downright absurd. College professors barely make $100k.

People talk about our "best teachers" yet those teachers in failing Central Islip or Brentwood are paid just as much into the 6 figures. Seems legit. I'll tell you what also doesn't make sense - "best" workers are the ones who constantly have to EARN their money and constantly PROVE their worth - they're motivated to be the best employees. Not the ones who have tenure and get raises just because they want to stay. Not the ones who argue against being evaluated. Not the ones who count down the days until 2 months of summer vacation while instead showing movies in class when June rolls around. The whole thing is ridiculous here and it's funny to see people defend it.

Last edited by ovi8; 06-12-2019 at 12:12 PM..

Old 06-12-2019, 02:54 PM

181 posts, read 444,931 times
It's insane how much extra money teachers get for extra curricular activities. Sports and anything tied to competition is one thing, because success can be good for the reputation of the school, but there's plenty of bogus after school clubs that weigh things down.

When I graduated about 10 years ago, there was a computer club. No, kids who were in it did not learn how to code or do special projects where they could learn new skills. They literally played Unreal Tournament and Soldier of Fortune all afternoon. That's it. The kids who went to this club were the lowest of the low in terms of neckbeards, smelly kids, and people who would not amount to anything. But that's how a lot of these faculty make extra money.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:32 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post
It's insane how much extra money teachers get for extra curricular activities. Sports and anything tied to competition is one thing, because success can be good for the reputation of the school, but there's plenty of bogus after school clubs that weigh things down.

When I graduated about 10 years ago, there was a computer club. No, kids who were in it did not learn how to code or do special projects where they could learn new skills. They literally played Unreal Tournament and Soldier of Fortune all afternoon. That's it. The kids who went to this club were the lowest of the low in terms of neckbeards, smelly kids, and people who would not amount to anything. But that's how a lot of these faculty make extra money.
Really, it's never "about the children"

Old 06-12-2019, 06:05 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,290 times
Quote:
I know plenty of teachers - some working, some retired.

My neighbor across the street from me teaches in an elementary school. She has said many times that she'd collapse if she had to actually work a full 9-hour day 5 days/week.

So they have some tests to correct. Everyone has work after hours. Even my husband who works no less than 60 hours/week. He works on the weekends too. 50 weeks a year. Not 38.

The poor teachers. Summers off, holidays off, Christmas, spring, and winter weeks off. Padding their paychecks the last 3 years they work in order to get more $ for their already bloated retirement checks. Most if not all driving luxury cars. Most being able to afford nice houses in the $1 million dollar range because of their bloated paychecks where they don't have to save for the future because the rest of us are funding their retirement. Poor, poor teachers. So over worked. My heart bleeds for them. Not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island