Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 11:50 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post

The changes are similar to population shifts occurring in metropolitan areas throughout the Northeast, with suburban growth driven both by immigration and movement of Latinos, African-Americans and Asians from cities, said William Frey, a senior fellow at the Metropolitan Policy Program at the Washington, D.C.-based Brookings Institution.

In addition, whites are older on average than minorities and have higher death rates and many retire to other states, he said.

I think the age factor is a key one here. Those who moved to Long Island in the 50's, 60's & 70's, were overwhelmingly white. This was due to a combination of factors from the growth of suburban areas during that time, to white flight from the cities, racist real estate practices which greatly limited the opportunities of minorities being able to buy homes in many suburban areas. Those that came to Long Island during that time are now likely in retirement (many retirees do move South) or simply dying off, and being replaced by a more diverse group of people. I don't think it is as much of a White Flight issue now (though it may still exist to an extent) but more of a by product of an age disparity which was heavily influenced by practices & opportunities that were in place 40 years ago. Immigration & other factors have played a role as well,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 11:56 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
^ My Black neighbors are also moving for the same reasons. They have fixed incomes now that they are retired. They can't afford it any more. How can any retired Black homeowner living on social security +savings+maybe a pension in Roosevelt afford the property taxes?

I thought that the Black population in NYC is decreasing as many have been priced out.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:58 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
But who cares anyway, you guys can have LI. Your water is screwed. At least NYC is cleaning up their Superfund sites.

Forget the plume, Long Beach now has to boil water

Jdawg, aren't you in Long Beach? If I'm mistaken, my bad.
If you knew how much animal waste you are drinking in NYC water, you'd think twice. It's just that most animal poop doesn't kill you like ecoli.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:32 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
If you knew how much animal waste you are drinking in NYC water, you'd think twice. It's just that most animal poop doesn't kill you like ecoli.
Proverbial pick your poision I guess

We can all go off the grid too

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-22-2019, 12:34 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I think the age factor is a key one here. Those who moved to Long Island in the 50's, 60's & 70's, were overwhelmingly white. This was due to a combination of factors from the growth of suburban areas during that time, to white flight from the cities, racist real estate practices which greatly limited the opportunities of minorities being able to buy homes in many suburban areas. Those that came to Long Island during that time are now likely in retirement (many retirees do move South) or simply dying off, and being replaced by a more diverse group of people. I don't think it is as much of a White Flight issue now (though it may still exist to an extent) but more of a by product of an age disparity which was heavily influenced by practices & opportunities that were in place 40 years ago. Immigration & other factors have played a role as well,
Both Blacks and Whites were played! Like a piano!

I will say this - on the block I grew up in Queens in the 1980s, we had Southern Black, West Indian Black, Jewish, Chinese, Puerto Ricans...and it was cool! Even some Russians started moving to the area in the early '90s - proximity to the boardwalk was a big draw like Brighton Beach. A Russian bakery was open on Beach 20th Street for a few years in the '90s.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-22-2019, 05:06 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Well... LI (and the high COL regions of the US in general) is basically becoming an economically polarized region of the affluent and then the poor with not much of a middle class . You have some lower income and subsidized housing that consists mostly of lower skilled immigrants and working class people moving out from the city and then super expensive market rate houses in desirable school districts that consists of the affluent (native born and immigrant professionals) . Middle class families just starting out generally look for lower COL places in the Sunbelt. You also have a lot of mostly white middle income retires who bought long ago when prices were far lower. Generally they cash in and move South when they hit retirement age.
Except that the wealthy are moving out too.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:08 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
This is an insulting assumption. Those that can’t afford it will leave and those that can will replace them. Just like you couldn’t afford it so you went to the cheapest place you could find.
Nothing insulting at all. Simply math, numbers and truth. There are fewer and fewer people that can afford to pay the taxes that LI is famous for. So they are moving in numbers. If the minorities are moving in as stated in the Newsday article, at some point either the property values will have to go down to make it more affordable or there will be a lot of empty homes/

Now as to your comment regarding my move. Please learn the facts before making an A$$ of yourself, there are plenty of places a lot cheaper than here.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:32 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Nothing insulting at all. Simply math, numbers and truth. There are fewer and fewer people that can afford to pay the taxes that LI is famous for. So they are moving in numbers. If the minorities are moving in as stated in the Newsday article, at some point either the property values will have to go down to make it more affordable or there will be a lot of empty homes/

Now as to your comment regarding my move. Please learn the facts before making an A$$ of yourself, there are plenty of places a lot cheaper than here.
I am seeing you were shamed and insulted for making the choice to move. Some have to move, while others choose to move and spend the money they saved on themselves. It's a personal decision, and nobody deserves to be smacked around and humiliated for moving.

African-American nabes like Roosevelt and Hempstead have taxes that make me gag. I've seen $14K on $300K homes. Values in those neighborhoods will be first to hit the skids if and when a downtown happens.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:18 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
I am seeing you were shamed and insulted for making the choice to move. Some have to move, while others choose to move and spend the money they saved on themselves. It's a personal decision, and nobody deserves to be smacked around and humiliated for moving.

African-American nabes like Roosevelt and Hempstead have taxes that make me gag. I've seen $14K on $300K homes. Values in those neighborhoods will be first to hit the skids if and when a downtown happens.
Some of the most desirable areas have the lowest tax rates. Here is a list compiled when I was looking. I only looked in a handful of these areas. All tax rates are based on assigned SD.

Town of Huntington
Northport 216
HHH 322
CSH 337

Nassau County
Manhasset 558
Great neck 679
Oyster bay 657
North shore 798
Hicksville 799
Port Wash 806
Island trees 870

Roosevelt 987
Hempstead 1497
Levittown 1394
Syosset 1202
Plainview 1178

Old 06-22-2019, 10:42 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

That fact is Karma has been very bad for you folks. It’s time to change your evil ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island