Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 06:08 PM

6 posts, read 8,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I was there at night and nothing happened, however I did not get out of my car and walk into the woods there. I believe it's all urban legend. LMFAO clarkstreetkid.
you should not drive there at night and especially do not go into the woods. there have been deaths and dissapearances. the supernatural energy is very powerful there and the indians called it a bad place and knew not to go there. it influences those who go there. there was a childrens hospital that burned and all died. it was located deep in the woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 06:34 PM

20,021 posts, read 20,822,731 times
...right...

Old 08-01-2012, 06:53 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,412 times
oh i believe that.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:55 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,157 times
Where is this place?? I never heard of it until this thread!! Do tell!

Old 08-01-2012, 09:00 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,140,822 times
It's a lovely area just off 110. Look for Sweet Hollow Rd on a map. Once on SHR you'll come across a nice cemetery, a park and a nice drive that is just too short. One of Long Island's gems right by one of it's busiest corridors.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:11 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,475 times
The legend goes that some time on this road, where's this a dip in the road, a school bus was involved in a fatal accident where several children didn't make it. Word has it, if you drive down there late at night, sprinkle the hood of your car with baby powder and coast at the top of the dip, coasting down into the dip, you'll see the tiny hand prints of children on your hood in the baby powder. The tiny hands are trying to push your car back, up the dip.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:28 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,140,822 times
Plenty of trees have been run into on the road, but I find it hard to believe that a school bus could get up enough speed to crash killing all aboard. It's just very curvy.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:59 AM

325 posts, read 736,965 times
Mt. Misery didn't get its name because of ghosties and ghoulies and burning children's hospitals. The roads were used by farmers and merchants during the colonial era as a trade route between villages. Being situated over the highest hills on LI, they were a "misery" to trek over.

Basically Sweet Hollow Road and Mt. Misery Road cut right through West Hills County Park, which is mainly woodland with hiking and horse trails. There are homes that sit on very large lots that also blend/disappear into the landscape as well as many colonial era buildings (some were owned or used by the Whitmans). The roads are all narrow and one lane and often make sharp bends and turns around trees and hills. I think the area gets it's "spooky" rep because it's an anomaly on western LI to be able to drive off busy roads like 110 and Jericho Tpk. and suddenly be on what is essentially a dark country road where you don't see any lights or buildings. The only dangers there are the people who zip down sweet hollow at 40+ MPH using it as a convenient cut through to get from Huntington to Melville/Farmingdale. The road is closed at least once a month due to accidents. The other danger is teenagers (and adults) acting like a-holes. Driving recklessly, vandalizing trees, trespassing. My friend, who's property boarders the park, is constantly chasing kids off his property which is also vandalized regularly and every Halloween.

All of the supernatural stuff is urban legend. I used to camp in the woods with my kids cub scout troupe every year. My dogs are at the dog run there daily. There's a day camp. There are no mothmen or Blair Witches. I've heard dozens of variations on that school bus story by the bridge (suicides, teens killed on their prom nights, brides killed on the way to their weddings, etc).

Old 08-02-2012, 09:02 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,951,712 times
This is old news..... aren't we into zombies and vampires now not witches

Old 08-02-2012, 09:25 AM

184 posts, read 805,628 times
when I was a dumb teen me and a few friends went down there and even went into the cemetery. The only thing that happened was we got chased out by a security guard..lol. The road has a spooky feeling to it but that is about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island