U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:58 AM

5 posts, read 19,561 times

Advertisements

I am accepted by Stony Brook University in Materials Science and Engineering, Master's program.

But I am not quite sure about this shool. Do anyone know anything about SB?
What about the reputation? Is it optimistic to find a good job after graduation?

Thanks a lot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 09:30 AM

3,360 posts, read 11,654,351 times
A degree from anywhere in engineering should make it easy to get a job.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:22 AM

24 posts, read 202,038 times
From what I've heard, SUNY Stonybrook is one of the best of all the SUNY schools.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:52 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,144,958 times
It depends on the program in some cases, but SUNY SB is particularly looked favorably upon for Physical Sciences and Engineering. Congratulations!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:47 AM

16,966 posts, read 32,303,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmandelin View Post
I am accepted by Stony Brook University in Materials Science and Engineering, Master's program.

But I am not quite sure about this shool. Do anyone know anything about SB?
What about the reputation? Is it optimistic to find a good job after graduation?

Thanks a lot.
First off, Congratulations!

SUNY Stony Brook is one of the top SUNYs and is a national top 10 research university.

As I am not familiar with careers in your field, I can't answer your last question, but will note that I see a number of faculty are affiliated with Brookhaven National Labs. I don't know whether the master's program has some sort of placement program with BNL, but it is another question to ask.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:01 PM

1,203 posts, read 3,410,161 times
My suggestion would be to come here and see the school for yourself. Ask all your questions, look over the department you'll be working in for a few years, talk to professors, etc.

The school has a very good reputation and is well regarded.

As far as job placement, well, I would think that will depend on your exiting GPA, if you've been published, any internships you may pick up along the way, etc. Many times internships are the doorway to a job. And the references you pick up doing an internship is extremely helpful. In other words the credentials that you build while you're in school will make a huge difference in getting hired.

Good luck to you.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:40 PM

85 posts, read 393,293 times
SB is an excellent school.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:38 AM

5 posts, read 19,561 times
Default another school

thank you so much for the information.

I just received another admission from Case Western.

Maybe Case will be a better choice?

Old 04-17-2008, 06:36 PM

16,966 posts, read 32,303,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmandelin View Post
thank you so much for the information.

I just received another admission from Case Western.

Maybe Case will be a better choice?
That's going to have to be your call

Do the research and visit the campuses to make your final determination.

Best of luck!

Old 04-18-2008, 12:03 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,362,030 times
I received my undergrad from SB. The programs in the science fields are fabulous. The professors are top-notch, some of the best in the country. It is, however, a very large school, and it is easy, if not unavoidable, to be just another number among the masses (which I happened to like b/c I showed up for my necessary classes, earned my grades and got my degree without the fuss of advisors and faculty on my back). But you are going to find that with any large campus, especially such a large commuter school such as SB. You really should tour and get a "feel" for the schools, and make your decision from your tours. Deciding on a school is a subjective process, you really cannot base your decisions on anonymous folks such as ourselves, even if we are trying to offer some sincere advice. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island