Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 10:26 PM

450 posts, read 386,814 times

Advertisements

Just seeing houses recently with in-ground pools, I am surprised there are so many in Nassau county.
Isn't it a lot work to maintain the pool (full or empty) both in winter and summer, especially since we are well below freezing few months of the year, and pool season is pretty much about 4 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 05:02 AM

345 posts, read 339,022 times
I do it myself, it isn't bad and I have a lot of trees. Without all the trees it would be even less work.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:27 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Winter is a piece of cake, clean treat cover. Spring and summer you are skimming the leaves and surface debris and treating with chemicals. Now depending upon if you have a robotic cleaner that will do most of the more for you or if you are doing it yourself is another variable.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:09 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Because of this forum, I started to purposely say "in LI".
Seems like in real life, no one gives an f, and its just a citydata LI thing.
I so want to start a " You know you are from Long Island if you say, "ON"." thread. Seriously, I don't know when the "in" thing started exactly, but I don't recall hearing it like I do now. It may be because due to the internet our world has opened up, but, it does annoy me. Not a major annoyance, but sort of in the league of when someone uses the word, irregardless, not a game changer but an annoyance.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:37 AM

5,520 posts, read 7,114,276 times
You will initially do the most work when opening it at the start of the season. Then as Nuts mentioned get a automatic pool vac and you're good to go. My pool is open from about the 3rd week in May to about the 3rd week in Sept, so you do get a good 4 months out of it. When it's 90 humid degrees in July you will be happy to have one.

I actually do more work weeding around the pavers and garden area around the pool then I do the pool itself.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:10 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,206 times
Love my pool. Open from may 1st to October 1st. Full 5 mos. I do have a heater though.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:47 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Because of this forum, I started to purposely say "in LI".
Seems like in real life, no one gives an f, and its just a citydata LI thing.
They care, they just aren't going to say it to your face.

years ago, the creators of Everybody Loves Raymond had to change the opening of the show, where he said "I live in Long Island with my family...." because of the pushback from Long Islanders. You really think anyone is gonna bother IRL? Nah. Just here LOL.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:05 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
They care, they just aren't going to say it to your face.

years ago, the creators of Everybody Loves Raymond had to change the opening of the show, where he said "I live in Long Island with my family...." because of the pushback from Long Islanders. You really think anyone is gonna bother IRL? Nah. Just here LOL.
The show did the right thing changing it. "in LI" is offensive to me.

Where I live now, not knowing the difference between "chile" and "chili" is upsetting to the regulars. Always get with the program wherever you live.

About the pool: those things suck. High maintenance and a possible liability. Your fence has to be 6' or there's a violation. A neglected pool is a breeding ground for skeeters. Blah!

I saw a couple of houses on the market with pools people wanted to get rid of. They got the pool taken out but left a big hole in the yard. Those homes were tough to sell.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:43 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,051,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I so want to start a " You know you are from Long Island if you say, "ON"." thread. Seriously, I don't know when the "in" thing started exactly, but I don't recall hearing it like I do now. It may be because due to the internet our world has opened up, but, it does annoy me. Not a major annoyance, but sort of in the league of when someone uses the word, irregardless, not a game changer but an annoyance.
Quote:
They care, they just aren't going to say it to your face. years ago, the creators of Everybody Loves Raymond had to change the opening of the show, where he said "I live in Long Island with my family...." because of the pushback from Long Islanders. You really think anyone is gonna bother IRL? Nah. Just here LOL.
Quote:
The show did the right thing changing it. "in LI" is offensive to me. Where I live now, not knowing the difference between "chile" and "chili" is upsetting to the regulars. Always get with the program wherever you live.
All this ^^^

Like the old saying goes, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" ... well, in this case the Romans/Long Islanders say "on" rather than "in", LOL

Regarding the pool question, I've had houses both with and without pools and the question of whether the extra work and expense is worth it is purely a personal thing. The with-pool house already had it when we bought and, because I am not a pool person, to me it was a total waste of space and money; but my then-husband wanted a house with a pool. What he used to spend on chemicals etc was probably less than what I spent on plants (gardening hobby; okay, well, it was definitely less, LOL) and most of the time he did the pool vacuuming. I did get annoyed when he "didn't have the time" and I had to do it. I don't even swim and so all the pool represented to me was lost gardening space.

On the other hand my son and DIL bought a house with a pool and love it. They are in the process of selling it and buying a house that doesn't currently have a pool but are planning to put one in next year. IMHO it's a shame because while they have 1/2 acre now, the pool doesn't hog most of the space but their new house is only on 0.26 acre which means it'll take up half the backyard, if not more. But different strokes, yadda yadda.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:54 AM

345 posts, read 339,022 times
Actually, I totally forgot about my robot vac.

I wouldn't be able to stand having the pool without it. It's a lifesaver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island