Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 04:08 PM

19,980 posts, read 20,683,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Or just leave LI and you don't have to worry about inspections either. Or in most places, even emissions checks.

The annual NY inspection is the biggest money heist ever.
It is. I'm down with safety, because yeah I don't some jackass blowing a ball joint at 83 MPH on the LIE and taking out me and a half dozen or more other drivers, but screw the stupid emissions testing. Done with it. I think the state computers rig the vehicle computer at the annual inspection so the check engine light comes on right before the expiration date.
#tinfoil #conspiracy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 04:13 PM

19,142 posts, read 16,970,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
LOL, the acronyms I remember from back then were that Ford stood for "Found On Road Dead" and/or "Fix Or Repair Daily"; and Fiat was Failed Italian Automotive Technology. One of my early bosses had a Fiat and would regularly substitute another F-word for "failed"
My favorite was "On a quiet night you can hear a Chevy rusting in the driveway"..

Old 07-14-2019, 06:37 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,169,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
It is. I'm down with safety, because yeah I don't some jackass blowing a ball joint at 83 MPH on the LIE and taking out me and a half dozen or more other drivers, but screw the stupid emissions testing. Done with it. I think the state computers rig the vehicle computer at the annual inspection so the check engine light comes on right before the expiration date.
#tinfoil #conspiracy
The annual inspections are bogus as well. Either they are too strict or you slip the guy an extra $20 and they pass just about anything.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
The annual inspections are bogus as well. Either they are too strict or you slip the guy an extra $20 and they pass just about anything.
Nope. Big Brother Andrew is watching.
It's all computerized now and all info goes directly to the state. Anything OBD II and newer is behind the iron curtain of NYS.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:40 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,169,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Nope. Big Brother Andrew is watching.
It's all computerized now and all info goes directly to the state. Anything OBD II and newer is behind the iron curtain of NYS.
OBDII is one thing, but how about a cracked windshield or broken light?

Old 07-14-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
OBDII is one thing, but how about a cracked windshield or broken light?
Yeah the visual stuff you can bribe the inspector, but most of that stuff should be fixed regardless. Shouldn't be driving on baloney skins with metal to metal brakes. The windshield thing, maybe some debate there as to actual safety concerns but the law is the law.
Same thing with tint. I generally don't have a problem with people blacking out their windows. I automatically think "douchebag" but whatever. Has no effect on my life. They don't have to make it illegal though. If your windows are dark, you should just be required to lower all windows when stopped by police.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:47 AM

5,488 posts, read 7,073,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyYouCantBeSerious View Post
anyone remember the Buy Lines newspaper? meeting random strangers on the street to buy their 82 Cutlass Ciera with 256,000 miles and missing hubcaps?
Yes, LOL, forgot all about that.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:01 PM

The OG craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island