Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 04:44 PM

412 posts, read 289,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
No, my grandparents weren't college graduates, but did come here legally, learned English and opened a business.

About time we followed the law on illegals who had their day in court, lost and were ordered to be deported. Following the law, just like you had hoped with fireworks right?
Why didn't your grandparents stay in their country and work to make it better? Were conditions there much worse than what is going on in Central America today?

Also, what year did they come here? If before 1911, then they just came...there was no illegal or legal way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 04:50 PM

412 posts, read 289,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Not college grads but LEGAL IMMIGRANTS. Came here the right way, no handouts, learned the language. Actually assimilated into what was the “big melting pot”. Proud of who they were but equally as proud to now be Americans. Big difference from today’s invaders.
That's actually BS, a glossing over history because it sounds good to you, combined with not knowing what is different about today's immigration situation. Sorry.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:55 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Who cares. 10 years tops, this country will be over. It's coming. No tinfoil. It's going to collapse.
So best to ignore politics and the news and party like its 1999.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:58 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,359,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
I think the original poster was being sarcastic. Didn't anyone notice the obviously horrible spelling and grammar? I know most of us use our phones nowadays so there are some mistakes, but he seems barely literate. Everyone got a riled up over a joke post and didn't even realize.
Im the OP. Sorry, i wasnt being sarcastic. And im a college graduate with a business degree. I know how to spell but typing on this ipad doesnt work out to well for me. Between auto correct and my eyes starting to go, many of my posts are rife with errors. Ill try to proofread better next time. But my post was 100% serious.

As many have replied, this is LEGAL immigration vs ILLEGAL immigration. My grandparents all had to have occupations, know how to speak English and get checked for diseases at Ellis Island. They were vetted there and could have been sent back if they weren’t seen as a benefit to the country. They were Italian but never spoke it out in public out of respect for this new country that they swore to become a citizen of. I cannot believe many of you, along with politicians, always conveniently leave out the word ILLEGAL. That means they broke the law on day 1. That means they do not have, nor deserve the rights of legal citizens. So, if they are separated from their family, tough crap. They shouldn’t have come here. And we owe nothing to these people at the border. Those “crappy” conditions with the toilet next to the sink and no water, etc is far better than the junkyard they came from. Maybe they will think twice before making this journey here when they know that there isnt a big welfare check waiting for them. I say we leave them in cages in the hot sun and tell them that if they dont like waiting there until they get s hearing, they are free to go home.

I know, as a responsible parent, i wouldn’t be sneaking my family into a foreign country hoping to live in the shadows for the rest of our lives. The illegals who are getting raided on today have already broken a federal law on the way in, then had a fair day in court, and when it didnt turn out in their favor, decided to disregard our laws yet again and refuse to leave. Yeah, those are the kind of people we need here. If you like them so much, open your doors to them. I, for one, would not give them one red cent to survive one more day. I’d rather save a cat’s life. I am tired of walking around LI having ot sound like i am in a third world nation. And no, that is not a racist statement. Remember, we are in America. We already have our own culture and language. Anything other than that is not American.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:08 PM

260 posts, read 451,193 times
Comrade Wilhelm Deblazio supports these lawbreakers and Nassau county is a sanctuary city.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:28 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
As someone who has tried to leave America and move to a different country, legally, I can tell you first hand our immigration enforcement has been about as aggressive as a bunny rabbit. Most people have no idea what a joke our borders and enforcement have been.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:38 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Quote:
Why didn't your grandparents stay in their country and work to make it better? Were conditions there much worse than what is going on in Central America today?

Also, what year did they come here? If before 1911, then they just came...there was no illegal or legal way.
1927 is when they came. Took them years of waiting to get in.
Post WW1 Germany was quite the mess. Helped caused the rise of Naziism.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:35 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:

Back then in 1911 there was no welfare, Medicare, SNAP or other benefits.

And there’s no problem with wanting to be an economic migrant, as long as you follow the rules - of 1911 or 2011.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:49 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
I believe that around 1900, new immigrants had to have $50 with them. They could not come here penniless.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:54 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
Almost 70 years later, humans haven’t evolved a bit!https://youtu.be/7k0971Hy5eo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island