Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 06:33 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,836 times

Advertisements

We've got a 2,500 sq foot high ranch home (no vaulted ceilings). It's the same high ranch home that's copied and pasted all over the place.

We're replacing our entire central AC (ductwork as well) and am trying to decide between a 4 ton and 5 ton unit. The contractor says 4 should be sufficient, but we can go up to 5 tons if we want extra overhead. The cost difference between the two is not significant.

Usually I'd just go with the bigger unit and call it a day, but I'm reading that may not be the best. If you get a unit that's overpowered for your home, it will cool it down too quickly and won't run long enough to remove the humidity from the air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 06:43 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
It’s probably not worth it for LI summers but you might want to consider getting a 2 stage vs single. Most of the time it will run at the lower stage, doing a better job of removing humidity, instead of 100%. Would probably give you an extra point or two of SEER.

https://www.pvhvac.com/blog/heres-th...r-conditioning

Old 07-26-2019, 06:59 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
1) Are you counting the garage in your total square footage?
2) Are you cooling the entire house?
3) Is the lower level below grade?

Old 07-26-2019, 07:07 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
1) Are you counting the garage in your total square footage?
2) Are you cooling the entire house?
3) Is the lower level below grade?
1) I'm not sure actually. I just know all the documents when we purchased the house list 2,498sq feet. The same value is on Zillow.

2) Yes, other than the garage

3) No.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:51 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,242 times
Current house is a 1400 sq ft ranch, no cooling of garage or basement; took a 3-ton, 2-stage Carrier.

This is the fifth house since the first one in the early 1970s and all have had a two-stage except the first one which was a 3500 sq ft high ranch. Even for a small house I do think the two-stage is worth it. This current unit has a digital thermostat that can display what stage the system is using, in real time, and except for the initial ramp-up at start (I don't keep it on 24/7; it's usually turned off overnight) it spends more time in the Low stage than High.

IMHO a 5-ton unit is overkill for a 2500 sq ft house, even a two story (it's be way overkill for a ranch). During the 1970s we had a 3400 sq ft high ranch with a 4-ton Carrier and that was more than fine even for then-husband who liked the house to be cold enough to double as a meatlocker.

That said... If I were cooling a typical high ranch nowadays I would opt for a mini-split unit in the lower level and keep the CAC for the upstairs only. Typical meaning that you have only a single large room and possibly a smaller one, plus a bathroom and the utility/laundry room, down there. If the smaller room was opened up to the large one I'd definitely go the mini-split route for that part of the house.

Also as a side note: Although I've had Carriers for the past three decades I would not opt for that brand today because the quality is just not what it was. The Carrier systems we had installed in the early 1970s, mid 1980s, mid 1990s, and early 2000s all ran like champs: efficient, quiet, no problems. But this circa 2013 system (Infinity) has been a royal PITA. If I had it to do again I'd go with a Trane instead.

And I'd add an AprilAire filter to the system regardless of unit size or brand; just my two cents. Especially if anyone in your family has allergies, or if you have pets, or if anyone in the family is a smoker. We had one in the last two houses and it was totally worth it. That first circa 1970s high ranch system had an electrostatic filter because the AprilAire wasn't on the market at the time. But the electrostatic ones are a pain, frankly, because they need to be removed and cleaned regularly. The AprilAire gets an $80 filter swapout yearly (if needed) along with the annual tuneup.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 07-26-2019 at 07:59 AM..

Old 07-26-2019, 08:14 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,240 times
your hvac guy sucks oversizing the system is a bad idea. You should get a manual J it will calculate the effect windows, insulation, sun etc have on the unit. I guarantee you the vents are not in the optimal spots. We had a mechanical engineer do this. You can get them online for a few hundred bucks.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:53 AM

The correct way to do it is use 2 different units. One for 1st fl zone and one for 2nd floor zone. But it’s a lot of coin and many don’t do it. Based on your square footage I would probably go 5 ton but with multi stage. And make sure you have multiple return grilles with filters.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
1) I'm not sure actually. I just know all the documents when we purchased the house list 2,498sq feet. The same value is on Zillow.

2) Yes, other than the garage

3) No.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:01 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Current house is a 1400 sq ft ranch, no cooling of garage or basement; took a 3-ton, 2-stage Carrier.

This is the fifth house since the first one in the early 1970s and all have had a two-stage except the first one which was a 3500 sq ft high ranch. Even for a small house I do think the two-stage is worth it. This current unit has a digital thermostat that can display what stage the system is using, in real time, and except for the initial ramp-up at start (I don't keep it on 24/7; it's usually turned off overnight) it spends more time in the Low stage than High.

IMHO a 5-ton unit is overkill for a 2500 sq ft house, even a two story (it's be way overkill for a ranch). During the 1970s we had a 3400 sq ft high ranch with a 4-ton Carrier and that was more than fine even for then-husband who liked the house to be cold enough to double as a meatlocker.

That said... If I were cooling a typical high ranch nowadays I would opt for a mini-split unit in the lower level and keep the CAC for the upstairs only. Typical meaning that you have only a single large room and possibly a smaller one, plus a bathroom and the utility/laundry room, down there. If the smaller room was opened up to the large one I'd definitely go the mini-split route for that part of the house.

Also as a side note: Although I've had Carriers for the past three decades I would not opt for that brand today because the quality is just not what it was. The Carrier systems we had installed in the early 1970s, mid 1980s, mid 1990s, and early 2000s all ran like champs: efficient, quiet, no problems. But this circa 2013 system (Infinity) has been a royal PITA. If I had it to do again I'd go with a Trane instead.

And I'd add an AprilAire filter to the system regardless of unit size or brand; just my two cents. Especially if anyone in your family has allergies, or if you have pets, or if anyone in the family is a smoker. We had one in the last two houses and it was totally worth it. That first circa 1970s high ranch system had an electrostatic filter because the AprilAire wasn't on the market at the time. But the electrostatic ones are a pain, frankly, because they need to be removed and cleaned regularly. The AprilAire gets an $80 filter swapout yearly (if needed) along with the annual tuneup.
I replaced my central air last year and the installer said the same thing about Cariier and Trane. My new unit is a Trane and I am not happy with it. It sounds like a F15. It literally gives me a headache.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:11 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,036,978 times
2400sqft, went with a 4 ton Trane as a replacement.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:22 PM

Try setting the fan speed to low. I believe they come from the factory on medium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I replaced my central air last year and the installer said the same thing about Cariier and Trane. My new unit is a Trane and I am not happy with it. It sounds like a F15. It literally gives me a headache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: