Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:52 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickip2 View Post
The "open" class rooms are in one of the schools in Middle Country - the largest one. When you hear of an "open" class room the image that comes to mind is a room as big as a gym with a few teachers. Not so. Picture more of offices with high cubicle walls. You really can't see what is going on over the walls on 3 sides - the fourth side, from all the rooms I have been in is the open area, however this isn't a free space, it's usually where the computer station blocks the next room or something else is there. None of the kids can see over the wall on 3 sides. This may be a little noisier then closed classrooms but IMO it doesn't seem to be any different.
I was in an 'open' elementary classroom (they called it clustered back in the 70's) one year in Levittown. It was a pretty neat experience, and it was just as you described -- we had partition walls, like in an office space. Seeing as I was a child, I don't recall it being noisy; then again, I was one of the noisemakers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 10:05 AM

12 posts, read 44,443 times
Smile Middle Country School District

The Middle Country District suffers from its past reputation as a underperforming district. This is not true now. If you go to School Matters you will notice that Middle Country performs as well and in some cases even better than the Sachem District. Of note, check Newfield H.S against Sachem North H.S. any one telling you that Middle Country is a district to avoid is basing thier opinion on twenty five year old info.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:03 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,237 times
New Village so true waht you said I have many friends in the district they love it, the library system is a bonus!

Old 05-18-2008, 03:45 PM

12 posts, read 44,443 times
Smile Middle Country School District

I just checked the New York State Education Dept site. It seems that Middle Country schools are very safe compared to other districts in the area. If you go to the site you will notice Middle Country has far fewer "incidents" per 100 students than other schools which are of excellent reputation such as Sachem and Three Village. Middle Country schools are on the upswing. Perhaps in the near future, their reputation will better reflect the current times.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:37 AM

72 posts, read 193,498 times
run run as fast as you can. I grew up there in the 70's and it was very much white trash. It is now even worse and the schools SUCKED then, I am sure worse now.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:27 PM

2 posts, read 7,057 times
I grew up in Centereach. I gradauted from Centereach High School in 1996 and my brother graduated in 2000. We are both very successful and have gone to some of the best universities in the country. We both graduated college with honors and went on to top professional schools.

Centereach is a nice, middle class neighborhood. MCPS is a good district. No, it doesn't have a fancy reputation, but I had great teachers and was extremely well prepared for college when I graduated. There were plenty of competitive classes. I took a lot of AP classes while at CHS and scored well in all of them. I have nothing bad to say about MCPS or about Centereach. It isn't a prestigious neighborhood, but it's definitely a nice place to live.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:10 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Centereach is fine. It just has a little trouble shaking the white trash stigma.
Some good deals on homes out there. One of my best friends lives in Centereach, and I have a bunch of customers there too. It's not bad. It's not awesome. It's fine. Average LI community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island