Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2019, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,216 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Huntington. Currently own a home in Northport. I love the quaintness and community feel. I recently went through some life changes. Now single, mid 40's, no kids at home and interested in downsizing (house and property).

Although I have never lived on the South Shore, I have friends who live there and always thought it has such a unique, laid back, friendly vibe. A lot of cute towns that are in very close proximity to one another. Being that I want a change, I think the Shore Shore might be a great decision. I considered purchasing a condo but after factoring in similar pricing as home in my range (400 - 550k) + taxes and HOA, a condo may not make financial sense. Not to mention the lack of privacy in a condo.

Anyway, seeking advice on the following areas, Bay Shore (Brightwaters) or south of Main St, Islip, East Islip, Sayville, Oakdale, Bayport or Blue Point. I know, a long list. Just trying to get a feel for the various towns. Yes, I have visited these towns (socially), driven around and have gone to open houses but personal experience from those that live or intimately familiar with the areas is priceless insight. If you were in my shoes (single female, mid 40s, looking for an area with a close proximity to the water, restaurants, bars and a friendly community feel) which of these towns would you move to and why?

Saw 2 open houses today in Brightwaters. Beautiful area but too much house for my needs. Going to visit 2 condos tomorrow in Bay Shore, a home in Sayville on Johnson Avenue and this cute little bungalow in Blue Point tomorrow.
https://www.redfin.com/NY/Blue-Point.../home/21117847

I work remotely so commute is not a factor. However, all family is in Northport and Huntington. Friends are scattered about.

Now that you have a feel for my current situation and my future needs and wants, please help guide me.

Thank you so much!

ETA: sorry for the broken link above. first post on this site. forgive the newbie

Last edited by Collee; 08-10-2019 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 04:03 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
It's a bit further west, but would you consider Babylon? Especially south of Montauk? It's kind of a mini Huntington, but more laid back... Lived there for 15 years and it has only gotten better over the years.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,216 times
I have a very close friend in Babylon. Great town to visit but like Huntington Village, way too much traffic. I actually avoid Huntington Village now. I preferred the quiet and quaint feel it had 15-20ys years ago.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:00 PM

412 posts, read 289,325 times
Before I got too far into your post...when I saw north shore Huntington/Northport and that you wanted to go south shore now, I immediately thought...Brightwaters. Quaint community and a story book feel...can't go wrong.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:23 PM

157 posts, read 87,084 times
Sayville, Patchogue, or Bellport.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:26 PM

157 posts, read 87,084 times
If not too far east, you also have Center Moriches.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:17 PM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Traffic can get bananas during the summer in Bayshore, Islip, etc...Same with Patchogue.
Sayville, Oakdale, Bayport, Blue Point, less so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island