U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2019, 11:22 AM

5 posts, read 1,418 times

Advertisements

I found a certified home inspector to do a mold test and he is only using air samples and swab sample for the one area which is the basement. i wanted to know if they(mold inspectors) are required to include infared thermal imaging and also moisture r meter testing to do the job right? also i requested he check the other floors of the house for mold and he said it wasnt necessary. However we remediated the mold But I wanted to make sure it did not travel up to the top floors during the process. Should he do this as well? thanks in advance. also if anyone knows of a great mold inspector in the nassau county area , please do not hesitate to message me! thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 12:10 PM

2,759 posts, read 1,427,656 times
In my experience the mold inspectors don't use thermal imaging. Some "regular" (good) home inspectors use a Tramex (pinless moisture meter) upon specific request; it is not typically part of the normal home-inspection-before-purchase routine. I have had it done on request though, around windows and doors to check for hidden issues often caused by improper flashing, etc.

Thermal imaging (with a FLIR or similar) is typically used in situations like an energy audit, or by waterproofing contractors who know what they are doing. We had an underground water issue recently and thermal imaging was used extensively in order to plan for and monitor the remediation.

Depending on the material being scanned, moisture meters can be useful. They should be calibrated for the specific material being scanned (wood, sheetrock, concrete, etc.) because the scales are different. They are usually least useful when dealing with concrete; thermal hygrometers are better for that application because the moisture meters only "read" to a very shallow depth, usually less than an inch. I think the Tramex type reads down to just about an inch but that also depends on the material being scanned. The pin types don't even go to a half inch.

Old 08-11-2019, 03:46 PM

14,433 posts, read 15,473,432 times
Mold is present in every single house.
Every one.
The thing is to find the source of the moisture that is allowing to the mold to grow and thrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island