Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 11:49 PM

37 posts, read 34,323 times

Advertisements

Hi guys.

I should be in Montana now (trip canceled due to family matters). Long story short, I am moving to Europe, my trip was Montana then layover in NYC then to Europe.

Anyhow, I need at least a three days off before leaving the US to chill a bit. I am arriving in NYC on Tuesday 9/3 staying there till 9/6 noon.

I want to stay in a getaway, is Long Island for me? East Hampton in particular.

I need a good beach with a sunny sky. I am not asking much.

A beach: Is it possible to swim in September? Or is it going to be cold? possible for Sunny days or cloudy?

Any other attractions?

I googled Long Island of course, but I am confused. Your opinion matters.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 06:41 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
In theory it is indeed possible. Theoretical because no-one can promise a sunny and warm day. Yes, it is possible to swim, however most beaches conclude their seasons with Labor Day and therefore the life guards are gone and those that don't totally end their season have lifeguards only on weekends. The distance from JFK to East Hampton is a bit under 100 miles give or take, will you be renting a car? You can get there by train, but it is not a straight run and you will be transferring from air train to Jamaica and then you will need to transfer there and depending upon your connection you may need to transfer again.

There are a ton of wineries and many other attractions, but let us know if you actually feel you are going to do this and then we can talk again.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:48 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paumona View Post
A beach: Is it possible to swim in September? Or is it going to be cold? possible for Sunny days or cloudy?

Thanks.
Yes. The water will be warm enough to swim. Will it be cold, sunny, cloudy, rainy? All are possibilities. In this, our opinions don't matter, only what Mother Nature provides that day.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:59 AM

157 posts, read 87,019 times
The Long Island getaways are the Hamptons, Fire Island, Montauk, and the North Folk (no beach). Are you doing a day trip or staying on Long Island for three days? If just a day trip for the beach you might be better off with Jones Beach, Robert Moses, or Smith Point.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:06 AM

20,021 posts, read 20,826,797 times
There's only one place to go...
Mastic Beach!

Old 08-25-2019, 11:17 AM

157 posts, read 87,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Mastic Beach!
Tourists and Long Islanders don't know how to party this hard. That goes for you too. Hotkarl needs to stick to his east end estate. He complains an awfully lot about those invading his neighborhood, but in reality he's one of them.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
In theory it is indeed possible. Theoretical because no-one can promise a sunny and warm day. Yes, it is possible to swim, however most beaches conclude their seasons with Labor Day and therefore the life guards are gone and those that don't totally end their season have lifeguards only on weekends. The distance from JFK to East Hampton is a bit under 100 miles give or take, will you be renting a car? You can get there by train, but it is not a straight run and you will be transferring from air train to Jamaica and then you will need to transfer there and depending upon your connection you may need to transfer again.

There are a ton of wineries and many other attractions, but let us know if you actually feel you are going to do this and then we can talk again.

I will be renting a car yes.

I am into beach relaxing, need some sun.

I am totally into a lazy style vacation this time after all the hard work done this year... to sum it up:

Beach, sun, small-town vibes...

Old 08-25-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yes. The water will be warm enough to swim. Will it be cold, sunny, cloudy, rainy? All are possibilities. In this, our opinions don't matter, only what Mother Nature provides that day.
True. But I do hope it is going to be sunny and swimmable.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke of Mastic View Post
The Long Island getaways are the Hamptons, Fire Island, Montauk, and the North Folk (no beach). Are you doing a day trip or staying on Long Island for three days? If just a day trip for the beach you might be better off with Jones Beach, Robert Moses, or Smith Point.
Depends. That's why I post my question here. If Long Island is that cool and nice, I will stay there. Otherwise, I probably going to have a day trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Mastic Beach!
I googled it. Are you kidding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke of Mastic View Post
Tourists and Long Islanders don't know how to party this hard. That goes for you too. Hotkarl needs to stick to his east end estate. He complains an awfully lot about those invading his neighborhood, but in reality he's one of them.
?

Old 08-25-2019, 04:56 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
For a day trip Robert Moses State Park is a great beach. Hit parking field 5 and it’s a short walk to the Fire Island Lighthouse and an easy walk down the beach to the towns of Saltair and Kismet for lunch.

One thing you may have around this time of year are the jelly fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island