Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 07:13 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
One of the top images seared into memory was that evening of 9/11. I had to return to manhattan from Staten Island. All bridges were closed, my partner and I were allowed access to the SI ferry back to Manhattan. Time was somewhere between 9-10 pm. Ferry ride was quiet, only emergency service workers allowed. A dark night, lower Manhattan was pitch black from the view on deck. Except for that damn glow. I never served in the military, but what we were about to see was the closest I ever came to an apocolyptic scene. Sirens, darkness, the odd 2-3 inch depth of "what is that, soot?" Cars abandoned doors left open. The smell, and eventually the burning buildings, like the very gates of hell. I feel like it upsets me more lately than those earlier years post 911.
I drove home in a rental car from upstate the next day, and wasn't sure how I'd get back to LI with all the bridges and tunnels closed. I recall they re-opened around 11am or noon, and I'll never forget my first view of the twin pillars of smoke rising from the site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 09:14 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
I don't want to share my 9/11 experience as it is pretty personal. But I will say that the weather that morning was absolutely beautiful. It was like a perfect NYC day weather-wise for this time of year. I'll never forget how bright the sun was that morning.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-13-2019, 02:01 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
I had a lot of jobs that were in the WTC. I've worked in 2 WTC, 5 WTC, and 7 WTC. I left my job at 7 WTC in February 2001. I wasn't working downtown on 9/11 but the Monday after I just had to check out the area for myself and took the subway to Wall Street. The area west of Broadway was completely closed to pedestrians so I didn't see much but after spending so many years in the area I just wanted to see for myself that the towers were gone. I mean I knew they were gone but seeing it for myself was something I felt like I had to do.

Old 08-20-2020, 09:23 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
I was working in Harrison, New York at the time. At around noon we were told to leave our office. I went home.
My older son still had half-day schools (kindergarten). I took him to the playground since it was a nice day, and to prevent him from watching TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island