Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 09:42 AM

52 posts, read 150,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I can tell you about our adventures with a second home which we had in the poconos ....

The problem we never anticipated so much work and maintenance. every time we went there were chores ....unless you pay for grass cutting and snow removal you got lots of work ...then living in the woods there is so much more maintenance required ...everything from gutter cleaning to bug prevention is a big deal .... things like deck and porch restraining had to be done more frequently because of the harsh winters .

The biggest issues we had were heat related ....power in rural areas goes out frequently in storms ...we had an automated temperature dialer which monitored things ..it would always call us at 1 or 2 am ..it would tell us the temperature is falling in the basement ...while we would shut the water off every time we left the house was still filled with lots of water since we used the house in the winter .

You don’t know if it is your heat crapped out , just a power loss or something happened to only you like when an ice storm broke a tree limb off and it fell and ripped the electric service off the house ....so you need someone to really look after things up there for you .

We could not even get a propane delivery if the driveway was not plowed when they came .. they came one day after a big storm right before our plow guy came and they just drove away .

We also found that because we felt guilty about spending a few hundred thousand on the house that we rarely ever went any where else ....eventually we sold it and like a boat it was a happy day and we don’t regret selling at all
That is a great reminder for anyone wondering the same (as we were). Thank you for the honest input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 09:47 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we go to see the kids in jersey every other week . the gwb and cross bronx suck ..... it can take 1:20 to 1:40 minutes to go home from them....in no traffic it is a 45-50 minute trip tops ....

we used to leave the house when we had it in the poconos very early sunday to come home or it could take 3 hours . remember , we don't live in long island , we live near the base of the throgs neck bridge , long island is even farther

Have you thought about moving to Jersey to make it easier to see them? Not sure if you're retired or not.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:07 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Have you thought about moving to Jersey to make it easier to see them? Not sure if you're retired or not.
We are retired .... I don’t like jersey but even if I did we have kids in westchester and Howard beach queens too. Right now I work a day a week still and am very busy in the studio drumming again here in nyc ..but I would consider hartsdale ny as a potential primary one day

Old 09-23-2019, 01:30 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,210 times
I'm surprised no one mentioned Sullivan County. There are still many places there to fit the OP's requirements. Like anywhere else, there are spots in that county to avoid. There are also many scenic, rural sections well worth looking at.

Pocono Region and NE PA are also options. I looked there and was unimpressed. NY is nicer (but you pay for it). YMMV.

The negatives mentioned by mathjak107... it depends. Much of those issues are easy to avoid.

I built a 2nd home in the Catskills about 10 years ago and still love it. Twenty years ago, I never thought I would ever care to own a second home. I thought 2nd home people were crazy for many of the reasons mentioned.

My 3.5-4 hour drive may get old one day. It hasn't yet. Holiday traffic is never fun, but it really isn't that bad. You learn the alternate routes. My best time is 3:15. My worst is 4:15. Typical trips are about 3:30, maybe 3:45 with traffic. Not that big a difference. Of course, it's exactly what I planned for before I purchased the property.

My basement stays a constant 55-57 degrees all year round (no heating/cooling system used), despite outside temps ranging from -10 to +90. Mine's a walkout, but still doesn't see temp problems.

One of our first winters a sink faucet froze in an upstairs bathroom. For about $15 in parts and 15 minutes of my time, I installed a system drain solution - takes all of 60 seconds to drain the system if I feel the need in the winter. Another 60 seconds to turn the water back on.

Mine's a log home. One side gets a blast of wind all winter long. Yes, restaining is a regular task every few years. This is just something I planned and budgeted for going in. Doing your homework is important.

I have a local guy who plows my driveway. He calls me before expected snow to ask if I plan on coming up. If not, he doesn't bother to plow (no cost). We know when to expect propane deliveries (usage doesn't change much year to year) so I can make sure the drive is clear. Propane company also calls me if they plan on delivering during snowy season. That's an advantage of rural areas. I can also call him to drive by my place if I suspect a problem (no cost). Small towns, personal service.

NYS has been issuing grants for broadband/fiber in rural areas. Once you have a fiber line, it is easy to have cameras, alarm, and system monitors. Even where there is no internet, you will likely have a cell connection. That still allows for home monitoring of temps and systems (video, not so much). Via battery and cell, you still get notices if the power goes out.

Ice storms and lines ripped off the house... either knock down nearby trees or don't build near them. Better yet, just run your service lines underground.

It's not a right or wrong thing. It's just a preference. I love my 2nd home. My family loves it. It's a great place to have friends and family, or just to go and get away from the noise. The experience is also not for everyone.

I look at the acre of fruit trees I have planted and can't wait to fire up the tractor to run the brush hog between them. Others might call that "work." My wife does complain that I won't pick up a hedge trimmer on LI, but when I get up there I either building or planting something. If I could spend more time up there, I would get me a few head of beef cattle.

Different strokes and all that. One man's paradise is another man's albatross. Definitely consider the downside comments you have read, but also look at the other side of it.

I did a lot of research before I built my home. Part of the plan was to minimize maintenance and upkeep. My home could sit there unoccupied for months if needed. About the only issue would be a prolonged period of no power during a really cold spell. That would only matter if I didn't drain the system in advance. Fortunately, the power grid in the backwoods has been very reliable in recent years. My electric service in the Catskills has been considerably more reliable (and less expensive) than my service on LI.

Not trying to discount anyone's negative experience. Just want to point out there is plenty of positive as well.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You would have to look but I have seen a lot of nice listing in the Candlewood Lake area that seem similar to the Pocono's. There was no mention of a price range by the OP, I look at as your not dealing with the bridge, tolls and traffic that getting to west of the river would entail.

The tolls, yes. The traffic, not really. There are many different routes to take, but getting across the Hudson isn't that big an issue when heading to points north. In my experience, Anything south of I-84 is going to be the same traffic no matter where you go. The GWB is always a joke. The Tappan Zee isn't that bad at all - if it is, just take the Newburgh-Beacon.

A place like Candelwood is going to have the advantage of being closer to LI. Mile for mile, CT traffic to get there isn't any better than the equivalent distance west of the Hudson. A quick google search come up with this quote "Candlewood Lake homes for sale have an average list price of $801,000." So you do pay a premium for that proximity.

Old 09-23-2019, 04:56 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
The tolls, yes. The traffic, not really. There are many different routes to take, but getting across the Hudson isn't that big an issue when heading to points north. In my experience, Anything south of I-84 is going to be the same traffic no matter where you go. The GWB is always a joke. The Tappan Zee isn't that bad at all - if it is, just take the Newburgh-Beacon.

A place like Candelwood is going to have the advantage of being closer to LI. Mile for mile, CT traffic to get there isn't any better than the equivalent distance west of the Hudson. A quick google search come up with this quote "Candlewood Lake homes for sale have an average list price of $801,000." So you do pay a premium for that proximity.
Your above post on Sullivan sounds so bucolic with a lot of if's and most are not willing to be a pioneer the way you have been. The first question I have is where are you starting from to head to your 2nd home? The OP wants 2.5 - 3 hrs tops as their travel time so your average times exceed what they want. Sullivan for a large part is pretty run down and depressing with very high taxes for very little in return.

I have to disagree with the traffic most weekends in the better weather I observed the TZ bridge backed up to Suffern and beyond on Sunday are you saying that the new bridge has eliminated all of that, I doubt it. Candlewood was just an example there are communities in Northern Westchester, Putnam and beyond that keep the OP with just the 1 crossing and not having to fight his way through the city.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Your above post on Sullivan sounds so bucolic with a lot of if's and most are not willing to be a pioneer the way you have been. The first question I have is where are you starting from to head to your 2nd home? The OP wants 2.5 - 3 hrs tops as their travel time so your average times exceed what they want. Sullivan for a large part is pretty run down and depressing with very high taxes for very little in return.
My post wasn't as clear as I intended. My place is in Delaware County. Based on the OPs desired travel time I suggested Sullivan County, which is much closer. My start point is about 5-10 mins from Deer Park, so basically the same travel time as the OP.

When I looked for property, I searched Sullivan County (among many other areas). It's like any other county - there are good places to buy and not so good places to buy. "run down and depressing" can apply to sections of virtually ANY county in NY (or just about any other state). Sullivan still has some gorgeous areas with very affordable land and second homes.

It's NY, so of course, taxes are going to be high. I doubt that 800k home in Candlewood Lake is going to offer any big tax savings.

About the only area you might save on taxes in the OPs desired distance is across the border in PA. After looking there I didn't feel so bad about paying NY taxes. The places I have looked in Sullivan County were heaven compared to some of the dump areas right across the PA border.

Quote:
I have to disagree with the traffic most weekends in the better weather I observed the TZ bridge backed up to Suffern and beyond on Sunday are you saying that the new bridge has eliminated all of that, I doubt it. Candlewood was just an example there are communities in Northern Westchester, Putnam and beyond that keep the OP with just the 1 crossing and not having to fight his way through the city.
Let's agree to disagree. I can only state my own experience over the past ten years. In the past six months alone, I've made the trip from LI to Delaware county about 12 times. Half of those trips with a trailer (no parkway access). Just under 200 miles one way. Typical time was 3:30. Only once did it hit four hours. All the traffic is always below I-84. This includes all the holiday weekends. (I drive straight thru, without stops).

Yes, the Tap and Suffren are below I-84. The new bridge and the removal of toll booths have significantly improved traffic flow on the bridge. There is also Waze... when things get crazy down there, just take I-84 over the Newburgh-Beacon bridge to I-684. Adds about 10 miles to trip but eliminates all traffic. Problem solved.

If taxes are a concern, Westchester or even Putnam isn't going to help. It's also going to mean a much higher cost for real estate. Nothing wrong with that. You spend more to get less, but are closer to NYC.

That's the tradeoff. The further from NYC, the less expensive the property. Each person has to find their own sweet spot between cost and distance.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
and most are not willing to be a pioneer the way you have been.
I'm not sure what you mean by "pioneer." I simply did research on the area and learned about buying vacant land. It also wasn't the first time I had a home built.

If you are not going to do the research and learn the processes involved, you shouldn't be looking at land to build a home on. There's much more to it than giving someone a bag of money and living happily ever after.

If you can't become an educated buyer, you are much better off going the AirBNB and Hotel route. It will save you time, trouble, and a lot of money. Or just rent a summer home and let the landlord deal with the details.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:51 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
My post wasn't as clear as I intended. My place is in Delaware County. Based on the OPs desired travel time I suggested Sullivan County, which is much closer. My start point is about 5-10 mins from Deer Park, so basically the same travel time as the OP.

When I looked for property, I searched Sullivan County (among many other areas). It's like any other county - there are good places to buy and not so good places to buy. "run down and depressing" can apply to sections of virtually ANY county in NY (or just about any other state). Sullivan still has some gorgeous areas with very affordable land and second homes.

It's NY, so of course, taxes are going to be high. I doubt that 800k home in Candlewood Lake is going to offer any big tax savings.

About the only area you might save on taxes in the OPs desired distance is across the border in PA. After looking there I didn't feel so bad about paying NY taxes. The places I have looked in Sullivan County were heaven compared to some of the dump areas right across the PA border.

Let's agree to disagree. I can only state my own experience over the past ten years. In the past six months alone, I've made the trip from LI to Delaware county about 12 times. Half of those trips with a trailer (no parkway access). Just under 200 miles one way. Typical time was 3:30. Only once did it hit four hours. All the traffic is always below I-84. This includes all the holiday weekends. (I drive straight thru, without stops).

Yes, the Tap and Suffren are below I-84. The new bridge and the removal of toll booths have significantly improved traffic flow on the bridge. There is also Waze... when things get crazy down there, just take I-84 over the Newburgh-Beacon bridge to I-684. Adds about 10 miles to trip but eliminates all traffic. Problem solved.

If taxes are a concern, Westchester or even Putnam isn't going to help. It's also going to mean a much higher cost for real estate. Nothing wrong with that. You spend more to get less, but are closer to NYC.

That's the tradeoff. The further from NYC, the less expensive the property. Each person has to find their own sweet spot between cost and distance.
i hunt delaware county by cooks falls ... from the base of the throgs neck bridge it takes me 2:15 minutes in no traffic . about 3hrs in traffic coming home on a sunday

Old 09-24-2019, 06:40 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:

The OP did not express a desire to build on his own so I would be surprised if they chose that route. Again Candlewood was picked as an example only and I have seen listings in that region as a substantially lower price. I have a personal heartburn with the Thruway and anything that allows you to avoid it is a plus for me, I recommend use Google maps with the traffic indicators on it performs much better than Waze and doesn't suck your bandwidth down to nothing....

Taxes are bad all over but when you look at the listings online in Sullivan many of the towns are charging top dollar for a decrepit house in a town that looks like it died in the last century, no value there in my mind. How far will the OP be willing to travel I don't know but their 2.5-3 hour window may limit them or they can extend that and be a road warrior every weekend heading north off the island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island