Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 12:18 AM

17 posts, read 13,807 times

Advertisements

Hi neighbors,
We are newly married couple who bought our house in Syosset two years ago. We love how beautiful and friendly this community is, just the tax is getting higher and higher, we don’t have any kids yet, so we haven’t really used the school district of syosset. Could any one can give me any information on what could a new born to 4years old kid getting from this school district? Will that be better for us to rent or sell our house and move back when we actually have a kid that is ready for preschool?the tax is becoming a burden for us now. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 05:26 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
That makes no sense. The houses will likely be even more expensive and the taxes higher when your child is school age. The time to put roots down in the community is now. Join some community related activities, a house of worship if that floats your boat, volunteer.... in other words become a part of the community...we bought our first house 3 years before we had kids. In between the time we bought and the time we had kids the house increased in value by 50%. Then after we had kids the taxes started skyrocketing. If you really like your house I wouldn't give it up so easily. If you really can't afford Syosset now it's not gonna get easier once you have kids who are basically a financial black hole.

As far as benefit to owning - why did you buy there? Did the schools have anything to do with it? Of course kids 0-4 years old aren't using the schools. If you really feel like you're only there for the schools then I guarantee you're not gonna ever be happy there.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:41 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,401,968 times
There is nothing free for 0-4 year old children unless your child has developmental delay. Daycare, preschool etc cost a fortune. You picked a very expressive neighborhood to buy a house OP.

Last edited by deeken; 10-07-2019 at 08:11 AM..

Old 10-07-2019, 08:25 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannasweet View Post
We are newly married couple who bought our house in Syosset two years ago. We love how beautiful and friendly this community is, just the tax is getting higher and higher .... the tax is becoming a burden for us now.
I am a bit puzzled as to why your property taxes may have increased so much in only two years from what you knew they were when you bought the house in... 2017? Was it the reassessments in Nassau County that caused the jump? Because other than that or by making alterations to the house that could have caused a tax hike, two years is typically not a timeframe that should make anyone go from "taxes manageable" to "taxes becoming a burden."

You have received how many tax bills since buying the house? Two?

Granted, I live in Suffolk but this is what my true (before any STAR) taxes have done in the past six years. I have never grieved them and so this is just the normal year-to-year increase of the bottom line true taxes on my December bills:

2013 $9424
2014 $9641
2015 $9874
2016 $9930
2017 $9990
2018 $10,112

So as you can see, they have increased by only $200 or less (less than 2% per year overall.) So, without a reassessment or expansion, I don't see how the OP's taxes could go from "not a problem" to "a looming problem" in such a short time.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:16 AM

783 posts, read 1,423,287 times
sounds like you don't grieve your taxes every year unless you been filing permits for a bunch of home improves. If you grieved, your property tax should be pretty close to what it was when you purchased 2 years ago now.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:21 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I am a bit puzzled as to why your property taxes may have increased so much in only two years from what you knew they were when you bought the house in... 2017? Was it the reassessments in Nassau County that caused the jump? Because other than that or by making alterations to the house that could have caused a tax hike, two years is typically not a timeframe that should make anyone go from "taxes manageable" to "taxes becoming a burden."

You have received how many tax bills since buying the house? Two?

Granted, I live in Suffolk but this is what my true (before any STAR) taxes have done in the past six years. I have never grieved them and so this is just the normal year-to-year increase of the bottom line true taxes on my December bills:

2013 $9424
2014 $9641
2015 $9874
2016 $9930
2017 $9990
2018 $10,112

So as you can see, they have increased by only $200 or less (less than 2% per year overall.) So, without a reassessment or expansion, I don't see how the OP's taxes could go from "not a problem" to "a looming problem" in such a short time.
Non comparable situations. Nassau will tax you for making your home nice. Redo your kitchen pull a permit they will give you a higher assessed value thus triggering a tax hike. In most of Suffolk they don't care if you use 24k gold tile and diamond grout. It's sq footage, lot size, minor variables such as bathrooms, pool etc. If it's new construction its the same and sale price is factored in. Syosset also has a very high tax rate.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:47 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Didn't you know what you were getting into when you purchased in Syosset? It's an expensive area.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:24 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Non comparable situations. Nassau will tax you for making your home nice. Redo your kitchen pull a permit they will give you a higher assessed value thus triggering a tax hike. In most of Suffolk they don't care if you use 24k gold tile and diamond grout. It's sq footage, lot size, minor variables such as bathrooms, pool etc.
Ah, okay. That does explain it. (Also begs the question of why anyone in their right mind would want to get a permit for a kitchen or bath cosmetic redo in Nassau, LOL)

LOL at the 24k tile and diamond grout comment!

True, OP did not say whether they made any interior changes of that type since purchase.

Just curious: Since buying this house six years ago we have done the following upgrades: all new windows and exterior doors, replaced the old CAC with new, replaced the heating system (oil burner/boiler/HW tank/baseboards), replaced the flooring in all 7 rooms (but not the bathrooms), replaced the sink and toilet in the main bath and converted the existing tub/shower combo to a walk-in shower, replaced the roof, replaced the siding, and replaced an existing old wood patio area with pavers (same footprint, just different material.) No permits needed for any of it because it everything was an in-place replacement of old item with new.

So if my house was in Nassau instead of Suffolk, they'd have reassessed/hiked my taxes for doing those updates?

Old 10-07-2019, 01:43 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Ah, okay. That does explain it. (Also begs the question of why anyone in their right mind would want to get a permit for a kitchen or bath cosmetic redo in Nassau, LOL)

LOL at the 24k tile and diamond grout comment!

True, OP did not say whether they made any interior changes of that type since purchase.

Just curious: Since buying this house six years ago we have done the following upgrades: all new windows and exterior doors, replaced the old CAC with new, replaced the heating system (oil burner/boiler/HW tank/baseboards), replaced the flooring in all 7 rooms (but not the bathrooms), replaced the sink and toilet in the main bath and converted the existing tub/shower combo to a walk-in shower, replaced the roof, replaced the siding, and replaced an existing old wood patio area with pavers (same footprint, just different material.) No permits needed for any of it because it everything was an in-place replacement of old item with new.

So if my house was in Nassau instead of Suffolk, they'd have reassessed/hiked my taxes for doing those updates?
If you pulled permits they would 110% increase your taxes. Anything that increases the value of your home increases your taxes. I don't think your replacing HVAC and roof matters. Pavers if they are in cement not sand are taxed. I redid my entire Nassau home never got permits, probably had the nicest house on my 105 home street and I had the largest property, but had the lowest taxes due to serial grieving and no permits ever pulled. According to the County, the house was original to the 50's except central ac and a fence.The property was expanded 2x and much more. To quote the Rock I knew my role and shut my mouth! I got out of dodge and migrated to Suffolk like you. I am on the border of Nassau best of all words convenience of Nassau with Suffolk taxes.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:09 PM

17 posts, read 13,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That makes no sense. The houses will likely be even more expensive and the taxes higher when your child is school age. The time to put roots down in the community is now. Join some community related activities, a house of worship if that floats your boat, volunteer.... in other words become a part of the community...we bought our first house 3 years before we had kids. In between the time we bought and the time we had kids the house increased in value by 50%. Then after we had kids the taxes started skyrocketing. If you really like your house I wouldn't give it up so easily. If you really can't afford Syosset now it's not gonna get easier once you have kids who are basically a financial black hole.

As far as benefit to owning - why did you buy there? Did the schools have anything to do with it? Of course kids 0-4 years old aren't using the schools. If you really feel like you're only there for the schools then I guarantee you're not gonna ever be happy there.
Thanks for replying and good advices, we are always working and haven’t really get involved into the community but I will definitely try as much as I could start now to put roots down. As I now recalled my memories, we bought this house in the beginning of 2016 so it’s more than three years, how time flys. The reason we bought this house it’s because we studied in this area and just love this neighborhood and fall in love with our house at the first sight. And the school district was a part of the reason we chooses here, we wanna to let our kids have good education and a nice place to grow up. But our tax rises By 8,000 in three years. Now we are planning to have a kid maybe next year. So I’m starting to think what is best to do for a kid before 5. most of my friends who have kids are living in the city so we know some preschool in the city are very good for kids between age 2-5. And I don’t know much about the preschools in syosset just by looking online the preschools showed up don’t have that much programs as what schools have in to city. Again I’m new in this neighborhood so if you know there are outstanding preschools in syosset or nearby areas I’d love to know ,that will be great! So I’m straggling should I just rent out this house in syosset and use the tax we paid and more to find a better school for our kid. I’m almost 90% sure I’m overthinking on how important preschool is for a kid, but raising kid is a brand new stage for me so I just wanna to give them the best I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island