Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 04:31 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,047,804 times

Advertisements

Compared to many other parts of the country, the NYC Metro area (NYC/LI) has quite a lot. You can't dismiss NYC doctors and hospitals from the equation. NY Presbyterian/Cornell and and NYU Langone are always in the top 20 rankings of hospitals in the USA.

Now, if you're going to compare most LI physicians to those associated with places like the Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins, or the Cleveland Clinic, I won't argue the point. But that doesn't mean that most people would necessarily want to live in Minnesota, Baltimore, or even Cleveland.

Even so, NY Presbyterian is one of the top five places in the USA for cardiology, and Sloan Kettering the same for cancer. Sloan opened a satellite facility in Commack a few years ago too.

Younger people (by this I mean in their 30s, 40s, or even 50s) often don't take proximity to excellent medical care into that much account when deciding where they want to live; but once one hits/passes 60, you've be surprised how large that factor can loom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 07:05 AM

8 posts, read 6,556 times
NYC is number one in the world, and we got much better care on LI than here

Old 11-06-2019, 07:07 AM

8 posts, read 6,556 times
BBC absolutely right on !!!!! Surgeries that are done inNY people travel from all over it will save us to come back

Old 12-10-2019, 11:30 AM

622 posts, read 852,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Compared to many other parts of the country, the NYC Metro area (NYC/LI) has quite a lot. You can't dismiss NYC doctors and hospitals from the equation. NY Presbyterian/Cornell and and NYU Langone are always in the top 20 rankings of hospitals in the USA.

Now, if you're going to compare most LI physicians to those associated with places like the Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins, or the Cleveland Clinic, I won't argue the point. But that doesn't mean that most people would necessarily want to live in Minnesota, Baltimore, or even Cleveland.

Even so, NY Presbyterian is one of the top five places in the USA for cardiology, and Sloan Kettering the same for cancer. Sloan opened a satellite facility in Commack a few years ago too.

Younger people (by this I mean in their 30s, 40s, or even 50s) often don't take proximity to excellent medical care into that much account when deciding where they want to live; but once one hits/passes 60, you've be surprised how large that factor can loom.

We found the wait on LI to see an internist for well-care or dermatologist for annual scan were hugely excessive. Forget about opthamologists, like getting an audience with the pope.

For example, my Dermatologist never contacted me for the annual appt on or around my birthday. I called the office and was told he is booked for annual checkups over a year out!

Old 12-12-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
We found the wait on LI to see an internist for well-care or dermatologist for annual scan were hugely excessive. Forget about opthamologists, like getting an audience with the pope.
Do you mean as a new patient, or an existing one? I have only encountered a "wait" like that once, and that was to see a neurologist as a new patient/second opinion about six years ago. And it was because I wanted to see the head/name guy rather than someone else in that practice. I was told 3 months as a new patient for the Boss Man but if I saw one of the other MDs it would be about a 2-week wait. Was also told that if I was an existing patient the wait for Boss Man would not be as long as quoted.

I currently see a particular opthalmologist at one of OCLI's several offices. Normally I go in for a vision check every other year but a few months ago I began noticing that the font on the chyrons on tv (55" screen, 12 feet away) were looking blurry. So I called for an appointment and was told that the first appt with my usual doc at the office I normally go to would be two weeks but I could see him in only a week if I wanted to go to one of the other offices. Because I was concerned about the vision change I opted for the earlier appt location but under normal circumstances the wait for a normal eye exam has always been a couple of weeks anyway.

The GP's office that I go to did have a long wait for my first visit as a new patient but that was because I was limited to only afternoon appointments at that time (was caring for a family member at the time and had no "backup") and because of that it took almost 3 months. They normally devote the morning appointments to well-care visits and the afternoons for things other-than, so I was flipping their normal scheduling on its head. Did not want to see the P.A. for that visit but have no problem with doing so for annual checks or a vaccination. I've done that twice and it's only been a week's wait as an existing patient.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:32 PM

20,038 posts, read 20,839,727 times
IDK. Generally, I've found healthcare on LI to be mediocre. My wife has health issues so we're kinda experienced. Been to all different types of places across Nassau and Suffolk.
Never been impressed. There were maybe 2 or 3 places that stand out as far as quality care AND service. The rest have been anywhere from passable to terrible.

And to be honest, the industry as a whole sucks. So much nonsense involved. Between the providers, the insurance companies, whatever, I just find it to be a tedious and stressful experience. Lotta jerking around trying to get answers and results. I wont go to a doctor unless it's life or death, my wife on the other hand goes for a paper cut. I just don't like or trust them. At the end of the day, it IS a business. It's about them making money.

Old 12-12-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
And to be honest, the industry as a whole sucks. So much nonsense involved. Between the providers, the insurance companies, whatever, I just find it to be a tedious and stressful experience. Lotta jerking around trying to get answers and results. I wont go to a doctor unless it's life or death, my wife on the other hand goes for a paper cut. I just don't like or trust them. At the end of the day, it IS a business. It's about them making money.
I agree with you there. There was about a decade when I had no health insurance and was totally self-pay and I suspect that (with the exception of the neurologist I mentioned) that may well have had something to do with how fast I always got appointments especially as a new patient. I always said at the start of the initial phone call that I was self pay. I wouldn't be surprised that when they heard they wouldn't have to deal with any insurance nonsense it racked up a couple of points in my favor: no referrals needed, no approvals, paying in full at the time of service, etc.

Of course what they didn't know during the appointment phone calls is that as a self pay I'd be negotiating with them about the fee, LOL. But they still got paid the ultimate agreed amount in full, on plastic. The only providers that won't budge on fees for self pay patients are the testing labs (Quest, LabCorp, etc.) Probably because they are franchise/chain operations. But you are right, it's a money game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island