Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 09:56 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Now you can understand why I escaped....

Depending on whether you're in the Matzoh or the Pizza area depends on what you'll experience. In HS we would joke that you could tell which of your friends was Italian or Jewish by their home. The Italian kids had the impeccably, ornately landscaped yards with perfect grass you couldn't walk on (and the obligatory Mary on the Half Shell) while the Jewish kids had the newest, beautiful kitchens which they didn't use. No offense intended; this was what it was like back then, and we had more than a few Italian and Jewish mothers laughing.

North Massapequa is more solid blue collar middle class and a little less given to the total Buttafuoco-Fucco phenomena. The closer one gets to the South Bay, the more flashy & fucco things get. There is more of a stuck up factor south of 27A in Massapequa. North is more regular Joe.

Massapequa Park has a nice little downtown area (at least it was a while back.)

Lindenhurst reminds me of RP in a way, hard working people, cute homes, earthy.

If I had to choose, I would go back to North Massapequa over Lindenhurst. It's the (Red) devil I know -- or at least did know, once upon a time.

PS -- Shall I put you down for a double double next AA run?
Hells yea on the All American.

Youre right about North Massapequa... I like that area.
Very different than Badabing Shores.

Earthy would be my adjective for Lindy (and RP) too.

crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 01:39 AM

8 posts, read 14,290 times
i've lived in massapequa (old harbor green/bar harbor) my entire life. there is no comparison between here and lindenhurst unless you're considering going way north in massapequa.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:49 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Hells yea on the All American.

Youre right about North Massapequa... I like that area.
Very different than Badabing Shores.

Earthy would be my adjective for Lindy (and RP) too.

crooks
Badabing Shores, that is pretty funny.

Seriously though I think you are taking your impressions of an area in Mass where you have family and applying it to the entire town (less N. Mass). I have lived here for 6 years and have friends and family here forever. I know people that live in all parts of the town (both Mass and Mass Park). The whole of the town that I see every day is not that close to your comparison of a pinky ring or an escalade (I do see plenty of them but not with big rims on them). The racist vibe comment - I havent seen it worse here than anywhere else on LI. I think you might need a larger sampling for your conclusions.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:32 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldharbour View Post
i've lived in massapequa (old harbor green/bar harbor) my entire life.
Isn't the Bar Harbor area/neighborhood in the Village of Massapequa Park?

Old 11-21-2009, 08:44 AM

7 posts, read 8,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Isn't the Bar Harbor area/neighborhood in the Village of Massapequa Park?

nope

Old 11-21-2009, 06:59 PM

264 posts, read 877,853 times
Massapequa!!
I live on the North Shore but I'd still occasionally make trips with friends to the Massapequa "All American" restaurant.
The impression I always got from Massapequa is that it's very Italian..

Old 11-21-2009, 07:19 PM

3 posts, read 6,839 times
In general Massapequa is a better town than Lindenhurst. I would avoid East Massapequa though, because it borders North Amityville which is a bad town. I remember reading some time ago that Lindenhurst is in the World Book of Records for having the most bars per square mile in the United States. This can't be a good thing...

Also Massapequa is surrounded by better towns than Lindenhurst is. Massapequa borders Wantagh (a good town), Seaford ( a good town), Bethpage (a good town), Farmingdale (most is good), and I believe Levittown (a good town). Again, the only part of Massapequa I would avoid is East Massapequa where it borders North Amityville.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:37 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel08 View Post
In general Massapequa is a better town than Lindenhurst.
Massapequa is a hamlet and is governed on an at-large basis by the Town of Oyster Bay while Lindenhurst is a self-governing village in the Town of Babylon.

Quote:
I would avoid East Massapequa though, because it borders North Amityville which is a bad town.
Only the northeast part of the Hamlet of East Massapequa borders the Hamlet of North Amityville.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of East Massapequa in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of South Farmingdale; on the east by the Hamlet of North Amityville and the Village of Amityville in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County (the Oyster Bay/Babylon town line and the Nassau/Suffolk County line); on the south by the Great South Bay; and, on the west by the Village of Massapequa Park.

Quote:
Also Massapequa is surrounded by better towns than Lindenhurst is. Massapequa borders Wantagh (a good town), Seaford ( a good town), Bethpage (a good town), Farmingdale (most is good), and I believe Levittown (a good town).
Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Massapequa in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of North Massapequa; on the east by the Village of Massapequa Park; on the south by South Oyster Bay; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Seaford in the Town of Hempstead (the Oyster Bay/Hempstead town line).

Old 11-21-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Badabing Shores, that is pretty funny.

Seriously though I think you are taking your impressions of an area in Mass where you have family and applying it to the entire town (less N. Mass). I have lived here for 6 years and have friends and family here forever. I know people that live in all parts of the town (both Mass and Mass Park). The whole of the town that I see every day is not that close to your comparison of a pinky ring or an escalade (I do see plenty of them but not with big rims on them). The racist vibe comment - I havent seen it worse here than anywhere else on LI. I think you might need a larger sampling for your conclusions.
Just for poops and giggles...are you Italian?
Perhaps youre desensitized to it?
; )

FWIW my family that lives there is half.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 11-21-2009 at 08:48 PM..

Old 11-21-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolaTroopa View Post
Massapequa!!
I live on the North Shore but I'd still occasionally make trips with friends to the Massapequa "All American" restaurant.
The impression I always got from Massapequa is that it's very Italian..
Ya think?

Its all good.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 11-21-2009 at 08:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island